Lost password
 Remember my login 
 All forums
 Music production & Gear talk
 whats the key 2 scratchin
 Printer friendly
Page: 
of 2

All users can post new topics in this forum. All users can reply to topics in this forum

Author Thread  
dj_stey_iz_ere
Average Member

United Kingdom
227 posts
Posted - 2002/11/22 :  14:35:35  Show profile Send a private message  Visit dj_stey_iz_ere's homepage
ive had my decks 4 quite a while now but i cnt get in2 scratchin everytime i go 2 do it, it sounds erm....sh*t what is it that u make it sound so gud ? ?

is any1 else on the same level

Alert moderator
DJ Mouse
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
2,687 posts
DJ Mouse has attended 1 event
Posted - 2002/11/22 :  15:59:37  Show profile  Send a private message
it's all in the crossfader,you don't make scratch patterns with the hand on the deck,you make the patterns in the crossfader

go to www.quoshrecords.com and watch sy's scratching tutorial video....amazing

--------------------------------------------------
"Don't frown when someone annoys you, it uses 42 muscles. Bitch-slap the fu©ker, it only uses 4"

DJ Mouse

Alert moderator Go to top of page
Lusive
Average Member

Australia
151 posts
Posted - 2002/11/22 :  18:29:08  Show profile  Send a private message
I'm not the greatest scratcher but a few things i picked up are:

1. like mouse said above, its about the fader not the record.
2. its more about when the fader is OFF not on.. ie.. the gaps that you make in the sound are important,

for example a flare scratch is just moving the record forward once then back once... but you cut (turn fader off then on quickly) that sound once halfway through the forward, and halfway through the backward... Cutting it into two in the right place makes it sound like 4 slightly different noises. (if you do it right you'll see why its 4 noises)

An orbit (??? i think its orbit) or a two click flare is a flare but you cut it twice on each motion.. 4 cuts overal makes 6 quick noises. try them out

3. most beginners do the scratch thing where they start with the fader off.. then move the record and turn the fader on.. then off.. then repeat..

try have the fader on initially.. start to move the record and then flick it off.. makes a slightly different sound.. pretty basic..

4. scratch initially to a slower song, with a longer sample..

just some pointers that have helped me get to my "i can almost scratch in front of people and not make them laugh" stage

Cheers,

Qber....... er Lusive

| A good way to threaten somebody is to light a stick of dynamite. Then you call the guy and hold the burning fuse up to the phone. "Hear that?" you say. "That's dynamite, baby." -Jack Handy |

DJ_Solstice

United Kingdom
290 posts

56 hardcore releases
DJ_Solstice has attended 1 event
Posted - 2002/11/22 :  18:53:54  Show profile  Send a private message
the key to scratching is PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE!!

it sounds harsh i know but just keep going at it hour after hour, the more u practice the better you will become. but take everyones advice on how to scratch, lusives advice is good for the basics.........im getting there, but very slowly! :p

-=Truly Hardcore=-

djyogi

Australia
487 posts
Posted - 2002/11/22 :  20:04:31  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit djyogi's homepage
u gotta understand the needle b u scratch though. U gotta have feeling for it otherwise u create shit ass sounds.
So the key is u gotta get inside the needle

"My only regret in life is that i wasn't a DJ" Draz

Don Giovanni

Canada
290 posts

43 hardcore releases
Posted - 2002/11/22 :  22:58:15  Show profile  Send a private message
^^ hehe u make it sound like a Zen Buddhist thing...
be one with the needle
be one with the dexx...
i get what u mean though...

I agree that praciticing night and day is best, the more the better. and next event u go to if u can get close enough to watch a dj that scratches fairly well just sit there and watch him\her for a while. U'll be able to pick up a few things from watching how its done

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'Together united as one indeed, WE ARE THE HARDCORE FAMILY!
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

atomicb
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
621 posts

60 hardcore releases
Posted - 2002/11/23 :  05:51:03  Show profile  Send a private message
find a sample you like, and just mess around with it with your fav track. I am *far* from a scratch god dj, but I have a few simple patterns which I worked on my self which sound nice. You just need to spend hours messing around working out patterns and getting used to how much pressure you can apply (not much ;))

dj_stey_iz_ere
Average Member

United Kingdom
227 posts
Posted - 2002/11/26 :  07:13:36  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit dj_stey_iz_ere's homepage
thnx alot ppl i'll keep them in mind

is any1 else on the same level

smoke Weed and fly

Oli G
Advanced Member

United States
1,817 posts
Oli G is verified hardcore artist Oli G has donated money to the site Oli G has attended 41 events
Posted - 2002/11/26 :  09:07:38  Show profile View artist profile  Send a private message  Visit Oli G's homepage
the key to scratchin, is to wait till ur arse itches, then scratch it, and relife.. great..

hejh

CAM001 Out FEB2003
Distribution Through Nu Energy
www.camelrecords.co.uk

\o/ <o/ \o> <o> /o\ _o/ \o_

http://www.myspace.com/camelrecords

toxic
Advanced Member

Australia
1,540 posts
toxic has attended 2 events
Posted - 2002/11/26 :  11:57:27  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit toxic's homepage
^^^ ROFLMAO !!!!!

Whisper something nice, and ill make you scream twice !!!

StrifeII
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
2,143 posts
StrifeII is verified hardcore artist
Posted - 2002/11/26 :  12:10:24  Show profile View artist profile  Send a private message  Visit StrifeII's homepage
LOL!!!!
NICE ONE OLI !!

If Barbie is so popular, why do you have to buy her friends?

atomicb
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
621 posts

60 hardcore releases
Posted - 2002/11/26 :  12:37:05  Show profile  Send a private message
I about at your level.. on the B side of forever together there's this song called.. erm.. something like yes and err yes I think :P ...anyhooo.. I just use the first 'yes' and scratch simple shit over breaks like 'y-y-y-y-y-yeah' and then the quick backward and foward then yeah, and then baby scratches with quick cuts.

May sound shit, but honeslty it sounds ok in moderation, if it was done as a solo, it would suck, granted :)

itchy

United Kingdom
46 posts
Posted - 2002/12/07 :  15:29:40  Show profile  Send a private message
i reckon i'm one of the best scratchers on here coz i'm a dmc uk finalists i.e. one of the best 15 scratchers in the uk so take me advice ya heard!

heres the advice: become a loner, dont go out, close ur curtains. PRACTICE until it sounds good. the best investment would be to get a video or dvd like qberts diy scratchin dvd which covers evrything rite upto really hard shit.

djmonoxide

United States
128 posts
Posted - 2002/12/09 :  19:28:17  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit djmonoxide's homepage
The key to scratching is this, one word now, Syncopation. Without this you can make 2 very boring sounds, even with the fader.

Syncopation refers to rhythms where the attack, normally falling on a down beat, is moved back earlier. The effect of this anticipation is to give the rhythm a bit of a push. Basically you move the record at different speeds.

After you learn that, then you should start working with the volume faders. Thats right, many DJs neglect this part of a mixer. Wow, being able to use this opens up a world of posibilitys. Using the volume fader you can change the volume of the scratch, i.e. slowly fading a scratch in. Now you may ask can't I use a crossfader to fade in a scratch? Yes you can, but the volume fader adds more pressicion. Now that you can make many sounds using syncopation and the volume faders you should be set for a while. Now it is time to bring in everyones favorite, the crossfader. The way I learned to use the crossfader better is to just sit and for like an hour practice movinng the crossfader just past the cut point, which is the point that music from the other channel can be heard, as fast as you can. Speed is the key with the crossfader.

After you do all that you should be set. I hope this was helpful :)

I used to be a raver, used to take lots of E. Now I just smoke weed, and you know I will Succeed. :)

Kaffine

United States
474 posts

91 hardcore releases
Kaffine has donated money to the site
Posted - 2002/12/14 :  10:03:49  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Kaffine's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by itchy:
i reckon i'm one of the best scratchers on here coz i'm a dmc uk finalists i.e. one of the best 15 scratchers in the uk so take me advice ya heard!

I reckon you're prolly also the most modest...

itchy

United Kingdom
46 posts
Posted - 2002/12/14 :  12:24:47  Show profile  Send a private message
what ever gave u that idea. LETS BATTLE!!

New PostPost Reply
Topic is 2 pages long: 1  2
 Printer friendly
  Verified artist
   Donating member How to donate

It took 1.7 ninja's to process this page!

HappyHardcore.com

1999 - 2024 HappyHardcore.com
audio: PRS for music. Build: 3.1.73.1

Go to top of page