Email Us!
Username: Password:

Lost password
 Remember my login 

All forums
 Music production & Gear talk
 Panning i think
 Printer friendly

All users can post new topics in this forum. All users can reply to topics in this forum

Author Thread  
electrogen
Average Member

United Kingdom
206 posts
Posted - 2013/06/09 :  13:02:31  Show profile Send a private message
Anyone know how to achieve making a sound, sound as thow it is coming from the back to the front. Darren styles save me modulate mix has sounds that do this. I originally thought you would make 2 exact sane tracks with same sound, one panned left and the other right and move them to the centre but this doesnt give the effect. So i tried using previous method but also eq different and slight delay between the 2 and also eq rightside different or opposite for each and these didnt give effect either.
Anyone have other suggestions?

Alert moderator
Moriens

United States
35 posts
Posted - 2013/06/09 :  15:22:23  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Moriens's homepage
I was thinking about maybe automating reverb... might make the sound be less distinct aka "far away" and the clearer it becomes the closer it will feel. Generally I associate panning with side to side and reverb, or in this case extreme reverb as way back to front but I'm sure its something more complicated but that might be a place to start.

Hope this helped a little

Alert moderator Go to top of page
electrogen
Average Member

United Kingdom
206 posts
Posted - 2013/06/09 :  15:27:24  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit electrogen's homepage
Cheers. Im thinking too that there might be some left right volume stuff aswell with left and right being eq diff too

Mortis
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
7,493 posts

341 hardcore releases
Mortis has donated money to the site Mortis has attended 7 events
Posted - 2013/06/09 :  15:56:30  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Mortis's homepage
I think you might be talking about the "Doppler effect". I've never used Doppler plugin but I hear Waves has a good one: http://www.waves.com/Content.aspx?id=244

Edited by - Mortis on 2013/06/09 15:57:15
Shades
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,189 posts
Posted - 2013/06/09 :  20:30:13  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Shades's homepage
I thought that mortis, but didnt answer in case it was the wrong effect...

I've used the doppler effect to make the sound go 'around your head'
i heard it first in: acen - trip to the moon 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfMlQJ5SeFo listen from 2.22 with headphones on ;)

try to picture the effect inside a circle:
basically it's side to side panning while using an automated low pass filter, the low pass automation needs to match the panning exactly each 180 degrees from left to centre & centre to right while the filter goes low to high & high to low, together it makes it sound like the music is circulating around you're head.

Edited by - Shades on 2013/06/09 20:32:24
Audio Warfare
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
3,046 posts
Audio Warfare has attended 19 events
Posted - 2013/06/10 :  08:00:53  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Audio Warfare's homepage
Rather than making copies and panning them left and right just stick with the one channel, put some extreme stereo separation effect on it (most DAWs with have something suitable built in) and just automate it from all the way on to all the way off. Of course if the sound is very stereo already you may need to mono it first for this to work.

It could also work with a reverb that is set very wide but I don't think the effect would be as big. Perhaps try combining both automations for a very obvious effect? Maybe even automate volume a bit so it gets loud as it gets more central, I think this will help a lot.

Mortis
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
7,493 posts

341 hardcore releases
Posted - 2013/06/10 :  08:41:55  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Mortis's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Audio Warfare:
Rather than making copies and panning them left and right just stick with the one channel, put some extreme stereo separation effect on it (most DAWs with have something suitable built in) and just automate it from all the way on to all the way off. Of course if the sound is very stereo already you may need to mono it first for this to work.

Wouldn't this thin the sound until it reaches center?

Audio Warfare
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
3,046 posts
Audio Warfare has attended 19 events
Posted - 2013/06/10 :  09:29:01  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Audio Warfare's homepage
Somewhat yes but it would basically achieve what he wants. A sound from a central point would sound wider from a long distance as it would have travelled further to the left and right before it reaches your listening point. This is why narrowing the sounds width and increasing volume will trick your ears into thinking the source is travelling closer to you.

electrogen
Average Member

United Kingdom
206 posts
Posted - 2013/06/10 :  09:42:32  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit electrogen's homepage
Cheers for ur replies i will be doing more testing today so will try these too. I had got close last night by using lfo panning envelope stuff direct from source

Mortis
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
7,493 posts

341 hardcore releases
Posted - 2013/06/10 :  12:10:03  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Mortis's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Audio Warfare:
Somewhat yes but it would basically achieve what he wants. A sound from a central point would sound wider from a long distance as it would have travelled further to the left and right before it reaches your listening point. This is why narrowing the sounds width and increasing volume will trick your ears into thinking the source is travelling closer to you.

Oh right. Interesting.

New PostPost Reply
 Printer friendly
  Verified artist
   Donating member How to donate

It took 1.42 ninja's to process this page!

HappyHardcore.com

1999 - 2024 HappyHardcore.com
audio: PRS for music. Build: 3.1.73.1

Go to top of page