Lost password
 Remember my login 
 All forums
 Music production & Gear talk
 Kick in mono
 Printer friendly
Page: 
of 2

All users can post new topics in this forum. All users can reply to topics in this forum

Author Thread  
Quicksilver
Advanced Member

Sweden
2,545 posts
Posted - 2013/08/29 :  12:44:38  Show profile Send a private message  Visit Quicksilver's homepage
A tip I picked up a few years ago was to put kicks in mono to put them more "in the front" and lessen any stereo effect that might occur from the kick. Now I've been doing that since then, but it just occurred yesterday when coming to think of it that maybe it is after all a bad idea?

Any of you got any input on this? Good/bad idea? Pros/cons?

My SOUNDCLOUD

Alert moderator
electrogen
Average Member

United Kingdom
206 posts
Posted - 2013/08/29 :  13:56:58  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit electrogen's homepage
the way i understand it is the bass on the kick has to be mono but the rest doesn't have to be. If you make kicks regular like me i use sine wave for bass on kick. layer it with normal kick with bass removed and i also layer with claps and snares too panned with volume low so you only hear the decay. but you have to get the balance right. if you cut too much bass from the 2nd kick layer it will sound off. i am sat here now on a ten minute break after spending 10 hours listening to bass sounds. u have to listen constant at times to notice fine changes.

also make sure you remove everything you dont need

Alert moderator Go to top of page
Dys7
Advanced Member

United States
1,231 posts
Posted - 2013/08/29 :  17:34:10  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Dys7's homepage
I always do my kicks and bass on mono, it gives the leads and such more room.

---
The Spirit at the Edge of Infinity
Check out my cheesy fiddlings here:
http://soundcloud.com/dys7dj/

Hard2Get
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
12,837 posts
Hard2Get has attended 21 events
Posted - 2013/08/29 :  19:55:30  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Hard2Get's homepage
Most of the time the kick is best in mono. Unless you are trying to achieve something that requires it being stereo, which would then make it fine to be in stereo. It needs to be done right for it to work. But presumably if you knew enough to know when you should and shouldn't have a kick in stereo you would know how to make it work.

Quicksilver
Advanced Member

Sweden
2,545 posts
Posted - 2013/08/29 :  20:39:50  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Quicksilver's homepage
Ah nice! I'll keep putting them in mono then... As for bass, I heard that too, but doesn't that make the bass sound a bit sterile or do pretty much every producer put bass in mono too?

I don't do my own kick drums, electrogen, luckily I don't have that problem about layers, I only usually top the kick with a another kick's higher freq layer (and cut out the lower and lower-mid completely) to give it a bit more distinction.

My SOUNDCLOUD

electrogen
Average Member

United Kingdom
206 posts
Posted - 2013/08/29 :  20:54:08  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit electrogen's homepage
Kicks and basses are a tricky one as well as pads because every part of the mix has to be equal in every matter. So when the breakdown occurs if there is no bass it will sound off. The kick bassline snare and pads have to in my opinion have to have some bass frequencies in them. And they have to be mono. Easy way is to create a sub and bass groups 2 seperate groups. Open up ur favourite synth and use a sine wave. U will need 2 seperate synths generating sine waves at 2 different bass frequencies. The kick has to be using the frequency of your mix so if your song is in C, the sine waves bith need to be in C but the kicks sine wave would be an octave lower than your snares sine. Your kicks bass needs to be hitting around 100hz your snares bass around 200-250hz and your basslines bass around 66hz you can also use your bassline bass for your pad too. If you group them it makes it easier later on for the levels. You would then use a proper snare and kick for the higher frequencies and whatever for the bass. Bht the higher layers dont need to be mono.

Warnman
Advanced Member

Germany
2,676 posts
Warnman has attended 2 events
Posted - 2013/08/29 :  21:31:31  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Warnman's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Hard2Get:
Most of the time the kick is best in mono. Unless you are trying to achieve something that requires it being stereo, which would then make it fine to be in stereo. It needs to be done right for it to work. But presumably if you knew enough to know when you should and shouldn't have a kick in stereo you would know how to make it work.

I've herad that a human sense of hearing is unable to realise the difference between a mono kick and a stereo kick. I don't know if it's true or just a rumour, but it would explain it.

"Happy Hardcore: Love it... hate it... it's fun!" (Matt Stokes)

Hard2Get
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
12,837 posts
Posted - 2013/08/29 :  22:11:18  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Hard2Get's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Quicksilver:
Ah nice! I'll keep putting them in mono then... As for bass, I heard that too, but doesn't that make the bass sound a bit sterile or do pretty much every producer put bass in mono too?

I don't do my own kick drums, electrogen, luckily I don't have that problem about layers, I only usually top the kick with a another kick's higher freq layer (and cut out the lower and lower-mid completely) to give it a bit more distinction.

The very same thing applies to bass's for the very same reason. Higher octave layers do not count. But if it's actually a sub bass then it's the same.

Hard2Get
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
12,837 posts
Posted - 2013/08/29 :  22:13:02  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Hard2Get's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Warnman:
quote:

I've herad that a human sense of hearing is unable to realise the difference between a mono kick and a stereo kick. I don't know if it's true or just a rumour, but it would explain it.

Bass frequencies are omni-directional so yeah. Stereo effects can be applied though.

Edited by - Hard2Get on 2013/08/29 22:13:26
Quicksilver
Advanced Member

Sweden
2,545 posts
Posted - 2013/08/29 :  22:16:33  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Quicksilver's homepage
Interesting! :) Gonna put subs in mono from now on then... :)

My SOUNDCLOUD

Dys7
Advanced Member

United States
1,231 posts
Posted - 2013/08/29 :  23:15:34  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Dys7's homepage
quote:
quote:

Absolutely untrue, no idea how a rumor like that could even start because you could quite easily open a DAW, pick a random kick, and then try it in mono and hear the difference.
Im not home at the moment, otherwise I'd post an example, but I will as soon as I can.

---

Quicksilver
Advanced Member

Sweden
2,545 posts
Posted - 2013/08/29 :  23:20:53  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Quicksilver's homepage
I've heard myself a bit of difference fiddling around with kicks, going from mono to stereo.

My SOUNDCLOUD

Dys7
Advanced Member

United States
1,231 posts
Posted - 2013/08/30 :  03:26:32  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Dys7's homepage

I think the problem is most kicks are already in mono.

---

electrogen
Average Member

United Kingdom
206 posts
Posted - 2013/08/30 :  05:54:45  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit electrogen's homepage
Usually the lower the frequency the more central it has to be. No point putting subs in stereo as it takes too much headroom.

Audio Warfare
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
3,046 posts
Audio Warfare has attended 19 events
Posted - 2013/09/02 :  13:34:12  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Audio Warfare's homepage
It's just the low end that really wants to be mono on a Hardcore kick and bass. That is the driving force in Hardcore and it has to be smack in the middle. Not to mention the fact that a lot of club systems will be hooked up in mono and a stereo low end sound could phase, this would be disastrous for what is supposed to be a very consistent, solid sound.

Audio Warfare
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
3,046 posts
Audio Warfare has attended 19 events
Posted - 2013/09/02 :  13:42:59  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Audio Warfare's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Dys7:
quote:
quote:

Absolutely untrue, no idea how a rumor like that could even start because you could quite easily open a DAW, pick a random kick, and then try it in mono and hear the difference.
Im not home at the moment, otherwise I'd post an example, but I will as soon as I can.

Actually there is some truth in that although what he has said isn't entirely true. Human hearing is incapable of deciphering the direction of low end sounds to a certain extent under a certain threshold. I assume this is what he means. Of course anything above that threshold on a kick or bass you can tell what direction it's coming from no problem.

New PostPost Reply
Topic is 2 pages long: 1  2
 Printer friendly
  Verified artist
   Donating member How to donate

It took 1.58 ninja's to process this page!

HappyHardcore.com

1999 - 2024 HappyHardcore.com
audio: PRS for music. Build: 3.1.73.1

Go to top of page