Page: 
of 2

Author Thread  
Elipton
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,268 posts
Elipton has attended 2 events
Posted - 2013/09/02 :  13:55:22  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Elipton's homepage  Reply with quote
I find that the wider (more stereo) a sample is, the less defined high or low end it will contain

Alert moderator Go to top of page
Audio Warfare
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
3,046 posts
Audio Warfare has attended 19 events
Posted - 2013/09/02 :  14:00:52  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Audio Warfare's homepage  Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by Elipton:
I find that the wider (more stereo) a sample is, the less defined high or low end it will contain

I would say that's either your mind or your room playing tricks on you. Depending on how you are achieving said width of course!

cruelcore1
Advanced Member

Croatia (Hrvatska)
1,485 posts
Posted - 2013/09/02 :  14:30:53  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit cruelcore1's homepage  Reply with quote
It depends. Kick needs to suit the rest of the track. You can bring the kick more to front by compressing or increasing the volume anyway.

electrogen
Average Member

United Kingdom
206 posts
Posted - 2013/09/02 :  15:51:04  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit electrogen's homepage  Reply with quote
Insuppose it depnds what you do with your kick and what it was to start with.

Dys7
Advanced Member

United States
1,231 posts
Posted - 2013/09/02 :  17:39:45  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Dys7's homepage  Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by Audio Warfare:
quote:

I would say that's either your mind or your room playing tricks on you. Depending on how you are achieving said width of course!

Actually I've found this too

---
The Spirit at the Edge of Infinity
Check out my cheesy fiddlings here:
http://soundcloud.com/dys7dj/

Dys7
Advanced Member

United States
1,231 posts
Posted - 2013/09/02 :  17:42:26  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Dys7's homepage  Reply with quote
quote:

Actually there is some truth in that although what he has said isn't entirely true. Human hearing is incapable of deciphering the direction of low end sounds to a certain extent under a certain threshold. I assume this is what he means. Of course anything above that threshold on a kick or bass you can tell what direction it's coming from no problem.

I think this is a bit of a stretch. You just turned "Can't tell the difference between stereo and mono kick" into "Can't decphier the direction of low end after a certain threshold"

---

electrogen
Average Member

United Kingdom
206 posts
Posted - 2013/09/02 :  18:17:57  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit electrogen's homepage  Reply with quote
The fact is that lower crequencies below 200-250hz you cant really tell where there coming from. If your kick is a raw kick with just low frequencies then it can be in mono. It doest have to but it takes up headroom in stereo and mono but more in stereo. Low frequencies are usually put into mono but i always fing that it doesnt need monoising if it is raw sine wave as you can make your own kicks with raw sine fundamental and this will auto be in mono sort if and adding mono effect does nothing. Adding anstereo effect like flanger or phaser is counter oreductive as it just takes geadroom that is needed elsewhere. But if you use a sampled kick from vengeance or another pack then i keave them as they are ynless im using it as a base for a layered kick. Even then i usually add a sine wave fundamental and mono that. If use a sub bass sine ir square on your bassline the sub would be mono and the low mids and hi bass would be stereo or can be stereo and this would have no effect on headroom as the subs would. But it js always personal taste and prefs. There is no right and wrong but as you cant really add stereo fx to anything below 200hz there is no point in it being in stereo.

Stereo is more of a symbolic sorta thing anyhow as if you have a saw wave flat playing middle c is about 500hz it would still be mono sounding untill you add stereo differences. Thats why it sonhard to work out the stereo field. Front to back, top to bottom or left to right.

Dys7
Advanced Member

United States
1,231 posts
Posted - 2013/09/02 :  18:49:45  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Dys7's homepage  Reply with quote

Here's a drop with a Mono vs. Stereo bass.

---

DJ_FunDaBounce
Advanced Member

Colombia
1,913 posts
Posted - 2013/09/03 :  03:10:28  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit DJ_FunDaBounce's homepage  Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by electrogen:
The fact is that lower crequencies below 200-250hz you cant really tell where there coming from. If your kick is a raw kick with just low frequencies then it can be in mono. It doest have to but it takes up headroom in stereo and mono but more in stereo. Low frequencies are usually put into mono but i always fing that it doesnt need monoising if it is raw sine wave as you can make your own kicks with raw sine fundamental and this will auto be in mono sort if and adding mono effect does nothing. Adding anstereo effect like flanger or phaser is counter oreductive as it just takes geadroom that is needed elsewhere. But if you use a sampled kick from vengeance or another pack then i keave them as they are ynless im using it as a base for a layered kick. Even then i usually add a sine wave fundamental and mono that. If use a sub bass sine ir square on your bassline the sub would be mono and the low mids and hi bass would be stereo or can be stereo and this would have no effect on headroom as the subs would. But it js always personal taste and prefs. There is no right and wrong but as you cant really add stereo fx to anything below 200hz there is no point in it being in stereo.

Stereo is more of a symbolic sorta thing anyhow as if you have a saw wave flat playing middle c is about 500hz it would still be mono sounding untill you add stereo differences. Thats why it sonhard to work out the stereo field. Front to back, top to bottom or left to right.

my head hurts!

about the underline...

If there weren't a right and wrong how would we make sense out of all this?
Sounds to me like an excuse to say "my wrong is right because I say so, therefore, it's right".

If you were to press a track onto vinyl the mastering engineer would un-stereoize everything below a certain frequency to avoid phasing and a wide groove.

https://soundcloud.com/fundabouncedj
https://brightspeedrecordings.bandcamp.com

Every Saturday night from 10-12 (Bogota/Colombia time)
https://www.twitch.tv/fundabouncedj

Edited by - DJ_FunDaBounce on 2013/09/03 03:56:06
Audio Warfare
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
3,046 posts
Audio Warfare has attended 19 events
Posted - 2013/09/03 :  08:04:27  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Audio Warfare's homepage  Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dys7:
quote:
quote:

Actually I've found this too

Depending on how you are achieving the effect it shouldn't generally be the case. Use a spectral analyser and see for yourself. I imagine it's just flaws in your listening environment.

quote:
Originally posted by Dys7:
quote:

Actually there is some truth in that although what he has said isn't entirely true. Human hearing is incapable of deciphering the direction of low end sounds to a certain extent under a certain threshold. I assume this is what he means. Of course anything above that threshold on a kick or bass you can tell what direction it's coming from no problem.

I think this is a bit of a stretch. You just turned "Can't tell the difference between stereo and mono kick" into "Can't decphier the direction of low end after a certain threshold"

It is a bit of a stretch yes, that's why I said "some truth". ;) Someone has misunderstood what they where reading/hearing I imagine.

New PostPost Reply
Topic is 2 pages long: 1  2
 Printer friendly
  Verified artist
   Donating member How to donate

It took 1.03 ninja's to process this page!

HappyHardcore.com

1999 - 2024 HappyHardcore.com
audio: PRS for music. Build: 3.1.73.1

Go to top of page