Lost password
 Remember my login 
 All forums
 Music discussion - hardcore
 Your opinion on Unmixed CD's?
 Printer friendly
Page: 
of 3

All users can post new topics in this forum. All users can reply to topics in this forum

Author Thread  
whittle1
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
3,191 posts

25 hardcore releases
whittle1 has donated money to the site whittle1 has attended 15 events
Posted - 2015/01/28 :  14:48:20  Show profile Send a private message
What I'm referring to, is an extra CD in the album you receive that contains unmixed tracks of songs that are already on other CD's in the same album (if that makes sense).
I have absolutely no need for these and I think it's just a way to bump up the price. I would also suggest that the vast majority of listeners don't DJ in their spare time, or for a living. What's everyone else's opinion on this?

Alert moderator
CDJay
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
3,049 posts
Posted - 2015/01/28 :  14:55:02  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit CDJay's homepage
I don't DJ, and have always collected unmixed cds and/or full tracks. From our side, we've also found that combination affairs sell better simply as it appeals to two markets with a sizeable overlap.

We have far more trouble selling Mix CD only albums as people claim they can get the same thing for free or less via Soundcloud or unlicensed CD packs.

(These people presumably are unaware of the work that goes into all aspects of a proper compilation CD)

CDJay

Alert moderator Go to top of page
Edited by - CDJay on 2015/01/28 14:56:01
Impulse_Response
Advanced Member

United States
724 posts
Impulse_Response has attended 1 event
Posted - 2015/01/28 :  15:04:31  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Impulse_Response's homepage
I think unmixed CDs are the greatest thing in the world. I usually know through previews or youtube if I'm going to like an album or not, and if I like that album then I always want the extra tracks for my own DJing / listening to unmixed tracks (I don't always want to hear mixes). In fact, I could almost say that I'd rather collect unmixed tracks than have mixes.

Also with lots of HU albums (correct me if I'm wrong) quite a few of the unmixed tracks are exclusive to the album, so I can't get them on the download sites when I want them. Actually I think this is true with quite a few other albums as well.

Edited by - Impulse_Response on 2015/01/28 15:05:20
DJBoydy

United Kingdom
128 posts
Posted - 2015/01/28 :  15:19:06  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit DJBoydy's homepage
I wish ALL CD's were unmixed tracks only !!

Cyrax
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
623 posts
Cyrax has attended 9 events
Posted - 2015/01/28 :  15:59:47  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Cyrax's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by DJBoydy:
I wish ALL CD's were unmixed tracks only !!

same I only like unmixed CDs, I like listen to the track in its entirety, a lot of mix CDs can not use/or cut out large portions of the tracks the are showcasing + i'm quite partial to a spot of deejaying from time to time !

Vladel
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,514 posts
Posted - 2015/01/28 :  16:17:16  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Vladel's homepage
100% would rather have unmixed full versions that are not partially cut by djs who don't think a whole track is worth putting in. I have Olly P - Pacific Ocean bought as a download and I can't believe the second half of that track was cut off on HU 6 for example. There have been a lot of tracks that have suffered this way and I'm glad things have changed.

Bad Corey
Average Member

United States
235 posts
Posted - 2015/01/28 :  16:20:31  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Bad Corey's homepage
As a Dj, I have absolutely no need for mixed CDs, and typically the only reason
I listen to them is if they have songs that aren't on the unmixed.

CDJay
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
3,049 posts
Posted - 2015/01/28 :  16:22:27  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit CDJay's homepage
I'm surprised people speak in such absolutes; both serve a purpose and occasion.

I always used the comps, in the 90s, to hear stuff which I would also seek out "unmixed". Sometimes tracks are seemingly "butchered" to service the flow of a mix, and yet other times the mix itself works to bolster a track or to make it more accessible.

Which, in a very roundabout way, is precisely why we have both in most cases.

It will take literally thousands of man hours to put together something like HU7, and we wouldn't bother doing so unless it served a purpose higher than showcasing some upcoming stuff. They're a snapshot, and I'd propose their relevance is at greatest immediately after and then significantly after release. Unmixed stuff often ends up in a playlist and requires oft compromised memory to actively seek out.

CDJay

Edited by - CDJay on 2015/01/28 16:24:33
oxis

Portugal
128 posts
Posted - 2015/01/28 :  16:24:38  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit oxis's homepage
i like mixed cds because i like to listen to them all the way through but i also like unmixed cds because i want to listen to more than 40 seconds of a song

Hard2Get
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
12,837 posts
Hard2Get has attended 21 events
Posted - 2015/01/28 :  16:30:54  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Hard2Get's homepage
As a listener, i would never want to listened to unmixed Hardcore.

Cyrax
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
623 posts
Cyrax has attended 9 events
Posted - 2015/01/28 :  16:33:14  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Cyrax's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by CDJay:
I'm surprised people speak in such absolutes; both serve a purpose and occasion.

I always used the comps, in the 90s, to hear stuff which I would also seek out "unmixed". Sometimes tracks are seemingly "butchered" to service the flow of a mix, and yet other times the mix itself works to bolster a track or to make it more accessible.

Which, in a very roundabout way, is precisely why we have both in most cases.

It will take literally thousands of man hours to put together something like HU7, and we wouldn't bother doing so unless it served a purpose higher than showcasing some upcoming stuff. They're a snapshot, and I'd propose their relevance is at greatest immediately after and then significantly after release. Unmixed stuff often ends up in a playlist and requires oft compromised memory to actively seek out.

CDJay

I'll always pick up stuff like HU7 though !

jordesuvi

United Kingdom
143 posts
jordesuvi has attended 4 events
Posted - 2015/01/28 :  16:54:45  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit jordesuvi's homepage

Mansy

United Kingdom
413 posts
Posted - 2015/01/28 :  17:10:44  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Mansy's homepage
I prefer to listen to the mixed versions of albums but I still have a blast through the unmixed aswell to check out how in the intros and outros go on the tracks.

Lara B/Galaxia
www.soundcloud.com/dimples-80

Producer of hardcore, house, trance and hardstyle [2005-2023]

Audio Warfare
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
3,046 posts
Audio Warfare has attended 19 events
Posted - 2015/01/28 :  17:27:49  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Audio Warfare's homepage
I actually prefer mixed albums. Don't get much time to get on the decks these days and I enjoy a mix more than individual tracks for general listening. I'd definitely much rather buy a CD of unmixed tracks than a load of MP3's though.

Vladel
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,514 posts
Posted - 2015/01/28 :  19:18:01  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Vladel's homepage
I still buy stuff like HU7 because it can often take a year or more to get the full version of tracks (which I prefer the fullness but not the timescale). I'd rather take unmixed albums because that way you get the full product and have the opportunity to make your own mixes with the tracks you want. The exeption is the dreaded do tools where ten tracks doesn't really make financial sense to a consumer unless you like the majority of the tracks (should you be lucky enough to find previews). I've found six on dj tools 2 and a mere four off dj tools 3. As much as I love HU and love hardcore, odds like that take the piss frankly. At least with a mixed album you have better odds of getting some quality for your money.

_Jay_
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
6,868 posts
_Jay_ has attended 41 events
Posted - 2015/01/28 :  19:24:46  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit _Jay_'s homepage

Both.

New PostPost Reply
Topic is 3 pages long: 1  2  3
 Printer friendly
  Verified artist
   Donating member How to donate

It took 2.03 ninja's to process this page!

HappyHardcore.com

1999 - 2024 HappyHardcore.com
audio: PRS for music. Build: 3.1.73.1

Go to top of page