Printer friendly
Page: 
of 3

Author Thread  
Elliott
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,137 posts
Posted - 2015/01/30 :  00:33:45  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Elliott's homepage  Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mickey Init:
Both, too! Although, I wished mix CDs were actually mixed, still - rather than sequenced or done using software - something that exhibits a bit of craftsmanship. That's what made the Rehab album that little bit better.

Yeah, this has been a common complaint for me for a long time. Problem is that once it becomes the norm (like it has done), people come to expect the perfection of a studio mix and imperfect mixes of the old variety stick out like a sore thumb. It's an irreversible process.

There's an argument to be made that the method of reaching the end result is entirely irrelevant because it has nothing to do with what listeners ultimately hear. I think it's a strong point but I actually enjoy the relative crudeness of a proper DJ mix.

Alert moderator Go to top of page
Captain Triceps
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
2,184 posts
Posted - 2015/01/30 :  00:36:36  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Captain Triceps's homepage  Reply with quote
I agree with the 'actual mixing' comments. Too many mixes out are clearly sequenced in software, or at best boringly put together. I'm not saying there should be 'horses running' clangers by any means but the old style mixes certainly had their charm, when you knew a DJ was stood behind a set of decks actually playing tunes like a live set.

https://soundcloud.com/paulbradley1982

DJ SMALOUM

France
423 posts
DJ SMALOUM has attended 1 event
Posted - 2015/01/30 :  15:56:45  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit DJ SMALOUM's homepage  Reply with quote
unmixed cds are more useful for djs and mixed cds are more useful for the listeners who don't know how to mix. this is why some labels make double or triple cd with mixed and unmixed cds for make every ravaz happy. (me i prefer unmixed for make my own mixes)

Mickey Init
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
764 posts
Mickey Init has attended 3 events
Posted - 2015/01/30 :  18:20:07  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Mickey Init's homepage  Reply with quote
I agree with Elliott and Captain Triceps. On the contrary, though, I do like the perfection/cleanliness of the sequenced mixes - I just don't like the lack of mixing, i.e. the use of 'chopping' and 'cutting' rather than a blended mix of two tunes at the same time.

Before we had sequenced mixes, we still had some really good, professional products and, in some ways, it separated the wheat from the chaff. But, I suppose, that's a bygone era.

One thing I will say, though, is that I now expect anything that comes out of HU HQ to be in the 2+1 format now that they've set a standard. It works really well and has always been of good value IMHO.

bazzaboiii
Starting Member

United Kingdom
15 posts
Posted - 2015/02/04 :  16:05:28  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit bazzaboiii's homepage  Reply with quote
Firstly these unmixed CD's are not extra's.. They're aimed at DJ's, and from what I know of the full unmixed tracks normally exclusive.

Unfortunately the producers have had to try something to stop people illegaly downloading.. People are less likely to rip and share a copy of something they've paid for, I quite personally like waiting A bit for 32 new tracks to add to my collection and a mix to listen to, and it's always there, no loosing it on hard drive crashes or wipes.

It's certainly not to "bump the price up" This Is Powerstomp 2 has 2 unmixed cds with 16 tracks on each. That's 32 unmixed tracks for ?15 bargain!! I bought 9 tracks from TID last night and it cost me ?10 lol.

There's a HUGE amount of time, money and effort go into these album and I'm sure that if your suggestions were a true reflection of the majority they would have stopped them bye now.

Long may they continue!! Fingers crossed for vinyl coming back too haha

If ya don't want unmixed CD's don't buy them. I'm sure you'll find DJ mixes with the same tracks on them soon after the release.

Never gonna make everyone happy.

RMC
Starting Member

Canada
3 posts
Posted - 2015/02/05 :  02:01:46  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit RMC's homepage  Reply with quote
One thing I really liked when I bought Project Badass Vol . 1 (all unmixed tracks) was Cyrax sending me a link by email to download a full album mix. That way I was able to listen to the album while waiting for the physical copy to arrive. I thought that was neat.

New PostPost Reply
Topic is 3 pages long: 1  2  3
 Printer friendly
  Verified artist
   Donating member How to donate

It took 0.56 ninja's to process this page!

HappyHardcore.com

1999 - 2024 HappyHardcore.com
audio: PRS for music. Build: 3.1.73.1

Go to top of page