Total online 2086
 Radio listeners 164+
Email Us!
Username: Password:

Lost password
 Remember my login 
 All forums
 Music discussion - hardcore
 Hardcore Underground 7 Lineup Out Now!!!
 Printer friendly
Page: 
of 4

Author Thread  
Cyrax
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
623 posts
Cyrax has attended 9 events
Posted - 2015/03/16 :  13:59:32  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Cyrax's homepage  Reply with quote
Who are these Freeform people who want to distance themselves, even Thumper mentioned something about it on facebook, I've never met them

Anyway I like both, will always pick up any new HU album no matter what is on it because they are awesome!

Alert moderator Go to top of page
djDMS
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
10,304 posts

572 hardcore releases
djDMS has donated money to the site djDMS has attended 43 events
Posted - 2015/03/16 :  17:43:21  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit djDMS's homepage  Reply with quote
Can't remember if I'm honest but I've seen posts both on here and Facebook saying exactly that.

CDJay
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
3,049 posts
Posted - 2015/03/16 :  18:14:56  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit CDJay's homepage  Reply with quote
From HU4 onwards, "purists", and indeed artists we have licensed from, have felt compelled to say "CD4 is great the rest is sh**" loudly and publically. It's increasingly enraged me for years, as despite endlessly supporting the music and DJs both on albums and at events we get very little back other than snidey commentary. Everyone was quite happy to get behind Kev Energy and Sharkey, even when they played slightly more to themainstream, but the lack of support or respect afforded towards HU and F&D is actually shocking. Ever wonder why Darwin stopped writing "Freeform" by and large? It's a waste of time; his name was poison to the chin strokers as he also dared to write other styles. This is one of the biggest problems with freeform, and the PRECISE OPPOSITE of what people like Sharkey did, and did well.

The fact it folds into our newfound desire to get each mix to get more stylistically varied is a bonus. Everyone has stopped moaning about dubcore if there's some breakbeat in there, now, yea?

CDJay

Elipton
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,268 posts
Elipton has attended 2 events
Posted - 2015/03/16 :  18:28:14  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Elipton's homepage  Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by CDJay:This is one of the biggest problems with freeform, and the PRECISE OPPOSITE of what people like Sharkey did, and did well.

I wrote a book on how lopsided Freeform has become for University. Can't think of many genres as limited in it's sound. It used to be fantastic.

CDJay
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
3,049 posts
Posted - 2015/03/16 :  18:46:18  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit CDJay's homepage  Reply with quote
I'm convinced it's only being called that as part of some sort of heavily elevated self referential irony. For anyone ever claiming that UK Hardcore works with a restricted pallate, it's all the colours in the rainbow by comparison. I'd far rather showcase within that context, to an audience watching with TV sets made after 1967

edit: There are also plans to have a "trancecore"/"kenneth" element present on HHU2. We're happy to lead by example, and learn from the past, if need be

CDJay

Edited by - CDJay on 2015/03/16 18:49:03
oxis

Portugal
128 posts
Posted - 2015/03/16 :  19:11:50  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit oxis's homepage  Reply with quote
i am a bit disappointed to hear that about the freeform scene and fans, as CD 4 in HU6 was my favourite by a long shot, and the freeform scene has a lot of good artists and potential right now. i believe it could completely take off if it was explored to its full potential.

freeform seems like the perfect genre to try stuff out new stuff in. DJ Fury - Lemonade Raygun (Transcend and Cyrax remix) blew me away with that synth (i do realise it was in the original, but this one sounded more sofisticated), it was something that i do not hear so often. Kevin Energy's Full Circle EP is something else that imo also puts to good use the bigger variety of sounds freeform allows. hell, he used a flute sample/vst (not a subtle one, a very loud and clearly in the front of the mix one) for the breakdown and electric guitar sounds for the 2nd (?) bar after the chorus, and it sounded awesome.

but regardless, i am excited to see what appears in HU7. Shimamura is a boss, and i haven't seen him in action yet in something like this. besides, with stuff like Who's Got The Stamina and Ain't No Grave being released recently, i do not think it is a HUGE loss to HU7. if anything, we might have had just the same tracks that we already knew from those albums.

Entity
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,329 posts
Entity is verified hardcore artist Entity has donated money to the site Entity has attended 3 events
Posted - 2015/03/17 :  00:15:24  Show profile View artist profile  Send a private message  Visit Entity's homepage  Reply with quote
CD3 on HU6 was a great experiment. And whilst the feedback was heart-warming, and we're both proud, I think going back to 3 CD's and mixing and blending various styles is the way to go. If you like pure breaks, watch out for HU Breaks 2.

Edited by - Entity on 2015/03/17 00:17:23
skankineddie666

United States
98 posts
Posted - 2015/03/17 :  07:24:54  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit skankineddie666's homepage  Reply with quote
No Breaks or Freeform???? Pass.

Samination
Advanced Member

Sweden
13,073 posts

195 hardcore releases
Samination has attended 17 events
Posted - 2015/03/17 :  09:18:04  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Samination's homepage  Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by CDJay:
From HU4 onwards, "purists", and indeed artists we have licensed from, have felt compelled to say "CD4 is great the rest is sh**" loudly and publically. It's increasingly enraged me for years, as despite endlessly supporting the music and DJs both on albums and at events we get very little back other than snidey commentary. Everyone was quite happy to get behind Kev Energy and Sharkey, even when they played slightly more to themainstream, but the lack of support or respect afforded towards HU and F&D is actually shocking. Ever wonder why Darwin stopped writing "Freeform" by and large? It's a waste of time; his name was poison to the chin strokers as he also dared to write other styles. This is one of the biggest problems with freeform, and the PRECISE OPPOSITE of what people like Sharkey did, and did well.

The fact it folds into our newfound desire to get each mix to get more stylistically varied is a bonus. Everyone has stopped moaning about dubcore if there's some breakbeat in there, now, yea?

CDJay

If he still makes freeform from time to time, I'd love him even more :P
I do know that the people can moan, but in the end, if you like to produce a certain style, f*ck what people say. I've kept saying it on all the threads about DJ/artists leaving the scene, no matter if I like their stuff or not, "to ignore what the haters say, and let us moan".

http://samination.se/
---------------------------------------------

CrushOnHardcore
Average Member

Netherlands
237 posts
Posted - 2015/03/17 :  11:30:59  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit CrushOnHardcore's homepage  Reply with quote
The Al Storm and Shimamura mix will be fantastic, no doubt. I'm not dissapointed about the lack of a Breaks or Freeform CD, there are enough labels and albums showcasing those specific sounds. Looking forward!

lurker
Average Member

United States
187 posts
Posted - 2015/03/18 :  14:51:08  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit lurker's homepage  Reply with quote
As long as the mixes have the same amount of variety as the first two HUs, I can't complain. And while I'm not totally happy with what CDJay had to say about freeform, I get where he's coming from- I once had a guy argue to me that Lotek (Oli G Remix) wasn't freeform because supersaws aren't dark.

versia
Average Member

Australia
180 posts
Posted - 2015/03/18 :  15:51:32  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit versia's homepage  Reply with quote
The problem is that for the last decade, compilations like Bonkers and HU were freeform's life support, until Bonkers faded away and Thumpa's CDs came along. Now, freeform isn't exactly dying on it's right now but unless something is done in the creative department, for the UK scene at least, I can't see how ravers will continue to lap up some of the warm diarrhea that labels like Stamina and Rebuild put out. A lot of the tracks recently just seem to be Trance Arp + 303 = Freeform(?), which is really worrying. Kevin Energy's new EP was a positive sign though, at least it offered something different - something that was simultaniously a blast from the past with it's trancecore/big kick vibe and a positive look to what freeform could possibly be in the future.

Luna-C's article from the start of the year seems to be ever more relevent with each new release - As much as UK Hardcore needs like 3 more S3RLs and 5 more JAKAZiD's, freeform is in dire need of 4 more Alek Szahala's and 3 more Le-Dos On's.

Rant over.

wong
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
2,991 posts
Posted - 2015/03/18 :  17:00:56  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit wong's homepage  Reply with quote
no freeform? good, keep that shit away

latininxtc
Advanced Member

United States
7,307 posts
latininxtc has attended 5 events
Posted - 2015/03/18 :  18:34:18  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit latininxtc's homepage  Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by versia:
Now, freeform isn't exactly dying on it's right now but unless something is done in the creative department, for the UK scene at least, I can't see how ravers will continue to lap up some of the warm diarrhea that labels like Stamina and Rebuild put out.

Bad Corey
Average Member

United States
235 posts
Posted - 2015/03/18 :  19:02:02  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Bad Corey's homepage  Reply with quote
Is it still worth it to submit music for this or has the track list been finalized already?

New PostPost Reply
Topic is 4 pages long: 1  2  3  4
 Printer friendly
  Verified artist
   Donating member How to donate

It took 1.88 ninja's to process this page!

HappyHardcore.com

1999 - 2024 HappyHardcore.com
audio: PRS for music. Build: 3.1.73.1

Go to top of page