of 5

Author Thread  
strychnine
Advanced Member

Australia
2,268 posts

92 hardcore releases
strychnine has attended 2 events
Posted - 2003/02/18 :  14:09:53  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit strychnine's homepage  Reply with quote
Oli G: But if *every* track were to be released on CD then you'd have a higher proportion of music-buyers who'll rip, cuz not everyone has turntables but everyone has a CD-ROM drive. Of course, you'd also have more music buyers, which can only be a good thing.

Alert moderator Go to top of page
Edited by - strychnine on 2003/02/18 14:15:39
CDJay
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
3,049 posts
Posted - 2003/02/19 :  01:04:22  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit CDJay's homepage  Reply with quote
strychnine - u make far too much sense

Heh.

CDJay

"Some people see things as they are... and say "Why?"
I dream things that never were, and say "Why Not?" "

rezzna

United Kingdom
283 posts
Posted - 2003/02/19 :  04:00:53  Show profile  Send a private message  Reply with quote
groups of cd djs putting 50p in each and making 6 copies of a single purchased copy of a choon, then doin 20 more copies between em to their average fan matee, they get on the net, kazaa has 15odd users with the new choon thats only been out a week and a half, about 100 ppl get copies of it, and only 1 copies been bought.

its a shame that thas the way itd probly end up,

ON THE OTHER HAND if hardcore producers got less in sales, theyd have to play live more (as has happend in numerous other musical scenes) which would be great, as people thatve ripped the cds off kazaa will be interested in goin to clubs and seein it live, hardcore nights will become more and more frequent, and the scene will eventually begin to boom once again, with it all ending up with live PAs and live vocals bein performed on Top of the Pops....

maybe...

long as everything still gets released on vinyl there wont be any complaining

atomicb
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
621 posts

60 hardcore releases
Posted - 2003/02/19 :  04:27:00  Show profile  Send a private message  Reply with quote
Having just spent 700 pounds on decks, clearly I have faith in vinyl sticking around. It's always a problem when you get crossroads of technology like this - You get those that adopt it and call everyony stupid for not following thier lead, and you get the seasoned veterans who will just never give up vinyl.

No doubt I'll get ripped for this, but somehow vinyl goes a long way to making a dj. I *know* it doesn't really matter, but seeing a dj spinning vinyl is infinitely more impressive and diffrent to your average joes cd player. You say vinyl keeps the mainstream market from adopting it, and in a way I kinda like that. When people come over and see my playing on my decks it's all worlds away from them - decks, vinyl + vinyl manipulation.

Ahh I dunno I'm rambling.. lets just say I understand both points of view, and there's no need for either side to get up tight, as long as the option for both methods or DJ'ing remain.

Skyler

107 posts
Posted - 2003/02/19 :  14:33:35  Show profile  Send a private message  Reply with quote
Forget CD Singles, they will make no difference.. they are effectively a waste of time.

My point is that CDDecks will help to really hurt vinyl sales..

It is too easy to download perfect rips of vinyl on mp3 and burn to CD and then play them out in a set.. no need to buy the tune.. even if CD singles were around do you think people would pay nearly as much as the price of a record for a CD that blatantly cost 10p to make ?

I've spoken to many many people about this and all of them would play illegally obtained music on their CDDecks if they had them, next to none of them would buy many CDSingles either. Those that said they would buy tunes still were ones who had conventional decks as well...

Stay faithful to vinyl!

strychnine
Advanced Member

Australia
2,268 posts

92 hardcore releases
Posted - 2003/02/19 :  14:55:49  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit strychnine's homepage  Reply with quote
Fact: full-length hi-quality mp3's are already out there.

Fact: CD decks are here to stay, and we as a scene don't have the buying power to change that (even if we wanted to).

Fact: Why do CD's necessarily have to cost as much as vinyl? If costs of production are that much lower (and they are) then I'd imagine a fair proportion of the savings should filter down to the buyer, and I would also expect there to be more than 1-2 tracks on a CD. Okay, maybe not CD singles, but something more EP in length?

So your friends won't pay for CD's. Your friends may not be representative of the scene as a whole. Oh, and doesn't the fact that ...
quote:
Those that said they would buy tunes still were ones who had conventional decks as well...
... suggest to you that yeah, current sales (ie vinyl sales) would stay reasonably untouched? With that in mind, even modest sales of CD singles would represent an increase in overall sales?

I dunno. Maybe it's just me, but between the choice of having $1 in sales and losing $5 to piracy, and having $5 in sales and losing $50 to piracy, I'd pick the latter.

Skyler

107 posts
Posted - 2003/02/20 :  01:31:38  Show profile  Send a private message  Reply with quote
Have you seen the music industry recently ?

CD Singles for most club tunes (Trance for example) are around 2.99-4.99.

Thats near vinyl prices which is ridiculous considering the CD's cost about 10p to make..

strychnine
Advanced Member

Australia
2,268 posts

92 hardcore releases
Posted - 2003/02/20 :  02:44:33  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit strychnine's homepage  Reply with quote
Actually, down here you'd pay about $15-$20 for a record, and about half that for a CD single(and remember you generally get more remixes on CD).

Stevie c
Advanced Member

Belgium
3,836 posts

204 hardcore releases
Stevie c has donated money to the site
Posted - 2003/02/20 :  06:12:40  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Stevie c's homepage  Reply with quote
Now I find a good conversation, leave it for two minutes and Strychnine has said everything i wanted to say!!

Your into the sound of Rebellion

Simon
Advanced Member

Belgium
5,001 posts
Simon has donated money to the site Simon has attended 5 events
Posted - 2003/02/20 :  07:09:40  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Simon's homepage  Reply with quote
I'm all for cd's myself, with exactly the same reasons as Strychnine!!!!!!!!!

This could well be the first-time ever me & Strchnine have seen something the same way.......you read it here people!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm in a state of shock now myself Me Agreeing With Strychnine .

I'm shocked what have i done......i think i'm gonna go comfort myself with my fridge Before I go mad.....or i am too late for that!!!!!!!!!

Everything is random, your probebly not meant to read this!!!!!!

Skyler

107 posts
Posted - 2003/02/20 :  16:24:46  Show profile  Send a private message  Reply with quote
CD's will also send hardcore more mainstream, which is again a bad thing as we all know what that did to Garage.

The more 'mainstreamy' labels in hardcore are already churning out very similar sounds and there isnt much variety in their releases. It will get even more like that if hardcore goes mainstream.

Also I have found there to be more remixes available on vinyl than on CD's..

DJ Mouse
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
2,687 posts
DJ Mouse has attended 1 event
Posted - 2003/02/20 :  17:02:30  Show profile  Send a private message  Reply with quote
at the end of the day cd is a much better format for mixes. instead of carrying 10 records you can have them all on one 12cm disc. but i still prefer my vinyl and always will. i'd like to see cd decks everywhere alongside vinyl but i'd hate to see record decks die and fade away.

--------------------------------------------------
"Did you know that eleven plus two is an anagram of twelve plus one?"

DJ Mouse

Skyler

107 posts
Posted - 2003/02/20 :  17:23:49  Show profile  Send a private message  Reply with quote
CD is a better format in terms of storage and convenience.. it is by no means the better format for mixes ;)

CD is also the mp3 whores friend, enables them to download some vintage hardcore (records worth a lot of money) and play them out for absolutely nothing. It also allows them to play all new stuff, downloading it before its released in most cases.. for free.

Vinyl is still king imo and should never be dropped, it is part of DJing heritage..

Xenochrome
Advanced Member

United States
2,645 posts
Xenochrome is a site donation subscriber Xenochrome has attended 5 events
Posted - 2003/02/20 :  17:36:07  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Xenochrome's homepage  Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by Simon:
Me Agreeing With Strychnine

strychnine
Advanced Member

Australia
2,268 posts

92 hardcore releases
Posted - 2003/02/20 :  17:46:29  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit strychnine's homepage  Reply with quote
Skyler: Who said anything about doing away with records? I argued all my points on the premise that CD releases would be in addition to vinyl.

... oh, and your constant "CD is evil" arguments are pretty worthless in light of the fact that people do release hardcore on CD (albeit in mixes). The medium is not to blame for piracy.

Edited by - strychnine on 2003/02/20 17:48:05

New PostPost Reply
Topic is 5 pages long: 1  2  3  4  5
 Printer friendly
  Verified artist
   Donating member How to donate

It took 1.38 ninja's to process this page!

HappyHardcore.com

1999 - 2024 HappyHardcore.com
audio: PRS for music. Build: 3.1.73.1

Go to top of page