Lost password
 Remember my login 
 All forums
 Music discussion - hardcore
 Hardcore's most prized asset is...
 Printer friendly
Page: 
of 3

All users can post new topics in this forum. All users can reply to topics in this forum

Author Thread  
Claxton
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,050 posts
Claxton has attended 3 events
Posted - 2015/04/03 :  22:20:27  Show profile Send a private message
Darren Styles.

This guy has to be the scene's best chance of bringing in new fans from outside.

He has a mass appeal that no one else in Hardcore can even come close to. The fact his album made it to number 4 in the charts says it all really. He gets huge bookings at events such as EDC and constantly remixes for some of the bigger names in dance music.

In Hardcore terms, Darren Styles is a titan. Nobody comes close to him what so ever (yes people like Re-Con have done huge things, but not as a hardcore artist).

I've heard people say, in the past, that he doesn't have what it takes to expand Hardcore or take it further whether that be through laziness or a lack of nous, but surely, as a scene, we can use his reach to harness growth.

He is consistently the best song writer and his production standard surpasses anyone else in the music. Surely Darren Styles is the gateway into hardcore for those outside?

Discuss....

Ps. I've just read that back, and I sound like a right fan boy.

Alert moderator
Hard2Get
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
12,837 posts
Hard2Get has attended 21 events
Posted - 2015/04/03 :  23:20:55  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Hard2Get's homepage
I think he always has been. If i wanted to show someone what i define as 90's 'Happy' Hardcore then I'd start with a F&S tune.

Alert moderator Go to top of page
Edited by - Hard2Get on 2015/04/03 23:21:18
Captain Triceps
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
2,184 posts
Posted - 2015/04/03 :  23:25:10  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Captain Triceps's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Hard2Get:
I think he always has been. If i wanted to show someone what i define as 90's 'Happy' Hardcore then I'd start with a F&S tune.

I've just done a Force & Styles-tunes only mix, funnily enough.

https://soundcloud.com/paulbradley1982

Elliott
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,137 posts
Posted - 2015/04/04 :  00:03:55  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Elliott's homepage
He was even better before he started producing shite.

warped_candykid
Advanced Member

United States
3,934 posts
warped_candykid has attended 5 events
Posted - 2015/04/04 :  03:48:37  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit warped_candykid's homepage
I would say during the 90s, he was a lead name, and then of course when he worked under the title "Breeze & Styles"...but after he went solo...that's where I stopped following him. Would I consider him hardcore's most prized assest when you have artists like Al Storm, Scott Brown, Brisk, Dougal, DNA, Stompy, Seduction (and yes, I know some are gone, but they were innovators!), No, I wouldn't.

Kebab Head
Advanced Member

Wallis And Futuna Islands
645 posts
Posted - 2015/04/04 :  06:38:27  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Kebab Head's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Claxton:
Darren Styles.

This guy has to be the scene's best chance of bringing in new fans from outside.

He has a mass appeal that no one else in Hardcore can even come close to. The fact his album made it to number 4 in the charts says it all really. He gets huge bookings at events such as EDC and constantly remixes for some of the bigger names in dance music.

In Hardcore terms, Darren Styles is a titan. Nobody comes close to him what so ever (yes people like Re-Con have done huge things, but not as a hardcore artist).

I've heard people say, in the past, that he doesn't have what it takes to expand Hardcore or take it further whether that be through laziness or a lack of nous, but surely, as a scene, we can use his reach to harness growth.

He is consistently the best song writer and his production standard surpasses anyone else in the music. Surely Darren Styles is the gateway into hardcore for those outside?

Discuss....

Ps. I've just read that back, and I sound like a right fan boy.

I totally agree and im a huge fan. yes there are some other great artists but commercially they dont come close. ironically the commercial succes recon has had under ultrabeat has pretty much all been darrens work bare a few tracks but defo mostly hardcore just redone into chart dance :P

_Jay_
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
6,868 posts
_Jay_ has attended 41 events
Posted - 2015/04/04 :  07:58:11  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit _Jay_'s homepage

Yeah he is unrivaled in that respect.

I would say that Scott Brown does have a similar capacity for song-writing. Or at least did, with all those naughties vocal anthems. And yes, I acknowledge by songwriting you didn't literally just mean writing lyrics.

Either way - seeing BOTH the boys tonight!!!

The drunken scotsman
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,486 posts
Posted - 2015/04/04 :  08:35:55  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit The drunken scotsman's homepage
Agree completely. My interest in hardcore has dropped a fair bit recently but I'll always look out for what DS is doing. He is miles ahead of anyone else in the scene.

Said it before but he would be a world famous top tier DJ if he made house or something. The fact that he continues to make hardcore deserves a lot of respect.

d2kx

Germany
127 posts
Posted - 2015/04/04 :  23:55:54  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit d2kx's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by The drunken scotsman:
Agree completely. My interest in hardcore has dropped a fair bit recently but I'll always look out for what DS is doing. He is miles ahead of anyone else in the scene.

Said it before but he would be a world famous top tier DJ if he made house or something. The fact that he continues to make hardcore deserves a lot of respect.

Nothing more to add. This is exactly how I feel aswell.

oxis

Portugal
128 posts
Posted - 2015/04/05 :  00:01:49  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit oxis's homepage
i don't feel comfortable picking just one guy because it seems like all of them have different functions in the scene. there are the innovative, edgy guys who are always looking for new stuff to bring into the genre (Lethal Theory, for example) and the consistent titans who are responsible for keeping the scene on it's feet while the other guys are free to experiment without causing too much damage (Evolution, for example (although Scott Brown has been trying out some slightly different stuff lately, even if slowly))

none of the examples i gave are my labels of choice, just two examples that come to mind.

Edited by - oxis on 2015/04/05 00:03:02
Kebab Head
Advanced Member

Wallis And Futuna Islands
645 posts
Posted - 2015/04/05 :  06:36:18  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Kebab Head's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by The drunken scotsman:

if Darren Styles broke away from hardcore then he would be extremely popular world wide in the trance scene. a hell a lot of his past stuff especially is tranced infused anyway! !! he would take over in the trance scene pretty quickly i rekon. he has stuck with hardcore as its what he loves tho I guess!!! and probably makes enough money without the need to jump ship to make more..... having said that, I would love a Darren Styles pure euphoric trance only tune ... even if its just the one to see what his production would be like!!!

jordesuvi

United Kingdom
143 posts
jordesuvi has attended 4 events
Posted - 2015/04/05 :  10:44:18  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit jordesuvi's homepage
If you're at the top of the genre you create, why would you switch genres?
Darren is a great producer and somewhat groundbreaking in his productions but I would not say he is our only.

I've mentioned before but I also think Rhythmics and nanobii are underrated and also have great potential if they pushed in the Monstercat/Porter Robinson/Madeon/Mat Zo/Pegboard Nerds direction. Unfortunately, both artists don't release new music that often.

DjZelous
Advanced Member

United States
553 posts
Posted - 2015/04/05 :  15:37:50  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit DjZelous's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Elliott:
He was even better before he started producing shite.

Dude try not to get darren to put this up on soundcloud now ;)

Elipton
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,268 posts
Elipton has attended 2 events
Posted - 2015/04/05 :  17:00:47  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Elipton's homepage
Darren Styles has a fair amount of torque, but since he's lost a label that can launch him into the charts and fund his albums, he's not had a lot more than his fellow Futureworld/Together We Rot artists. After all, his hardcore 'classics' were domesticated into 160 dance hits to garner some interest.

It's all well and good being the top of a genre, but when it's a small genre and you don't have means to reach new people, you don't have much worth to the genre's future. With that in mind, artists who can reach new people are the ones most influential. Nanobii has been fortunate to have probably the most popular Hardcore track of the past 3 or 4 years with a release on Monstercat.

Expanding 'asset' outside of solely production, events organizers, label owners and promoters are very valuable. Sadly I don't think there are people doing enough with events or their labels to reach new people (although, Attack the Music is looking very good for encompassing various genres into it's releases). Promoters, however, have quite a bit of influence. Jordesuvi's channel is good evidence of that. His music uploads have regularly reached 50000 promoting releases, labels and artists to a new pool of people.

So yeah, I'd say Darren Styles (though his power has diminished), Nanobii (provided he can sustain high profile releases) and Jordesuvi are Hardcore's prized assets at the moment.

versia
Average Member

Australia
180 posts
Posted - 2015/04/05 :  17:12:11  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit versia's homepage
Disappointing to notice no one has mentioned S3RL. I don't care if you don't like his music, but he's getting 50k - 100k views on YouTube on each release lately; and yes, he's doing stuff at 175 again.

CDJay
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
3,049 posts
Posted - 2015/04/05 :  18:17:29  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit CDJay's homepage
Benefiting a wider genre doesn't involve amassing a discrete immovable fanbase.

This applies to pretty much everyone mentioned, who isn't running a YouTube channel, thus far.

CDJay

New PostPost Reply
Topic is 3 pages long: 1  2  3
 Printer friendly
  Verified artist
   Donating member How to donate

It took 1.38 ninja's to process this page!

HappyHardcore.com

1999 - 2024 HappyHardcore.com
audio: PRS for music. Build: 3.1.73.1

Go to top of page