Page: 
of 3

Author Thread  
latininxtc
Advanced Member

United States
7,307 posts
latininxtc has attended 5 events
Posted - 2015/04/05 :  19:55:11  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit latininxtc's homepage  Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by versia:
Disappointing to notice no one has mentioned S3RL. I don't care if you don't like his music, but he's getting 50k - 100k views on YouTube on each release lately; and yes, he's doing stuff at 175 again.

Really 50k-100k views on YouTube?!?!?

YouTube views don't mean shit, or as much as you think they do. For S3RL it just means his fans prefer to listen to his tracks over and over on YT rather than spend the money to own the tracks.

But as far as worldwide popularity is concerned, he's probably the 2nd most recognized name in the uk/upfront hardcore industry behind Darren Styles.

Alert moderator Go to top of page
oxis

Portugal
128 posts
Posted - 2015/04/05 :  23:19:04  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit oxis's homepage  Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by Elipton:
Nanobii has been fortunate to have probably the most popular Hardcore track of the past 3 or 4 years with a release on Monstercat.

i'd say he was more than fortunate. in terms of popularity, he is definitely up there. but when it comes to quality, eh... i'll just say that his most popular track is a remix of rainbow road from mario kart 64. take the melody out and it is claps and noise sweeps. it's not that i don't like his tracks, it is just that i genuinely believe he is not talented enough to produce something amazing (yet). i wouldn't consider him a quality artist and a "prized asset", and i don't think he deserves the popularity. mostly marketing's work. waving a "NEW GENRE" flag in front of the masses and have it be an incredibly generic, public friendly EDM track that has the core elements of said genre is a great way to earn fans.

he is a good way to get the name happy hardcore out there for sure though. my concern is that fans will listen to to Nanobii's stuff and expect everything else in the genre to sound like it (which it clearly doesn't, Nanobii is entry level hardcore if you ask me).

if there was an artist that could create the bridge between the appeal of Nanobii and the current scene, I would consider him the most prized asset immediately.

Edited by - oxis on 2015/04/05 23:21:07
Elipton
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,268 posts
Elipton has attended 2 events
Posted - 2015/04/05 :  23:45:01  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Elipton's homepage  Reply with quote
quote:
Disappointing to notice no one has mentioned S3RL. I don't care if you don't like his music, but he's getting 50k - 100k views on YouTube on each release lately; and yes, he's doing stuff at 175 again.

What you say is correct, but he no longer labels himself or his music as Hardcore. His disassociation means S3RL fans don't become Hardcore fans as he's cut all the main ties.

dj switchback

United Kingdom
363 posts
Posted - 2015/04/07 :  01:19:46  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit dj switchback's homepage  Reply with quote
He's a hero and I've been a huge fan since '93. It pains me that I don't like his music these days and honestly can't remember the last tune he made that I liked. Shame. But yeah, hero anyway. I'll never like anybody more in music than Force and Styles. To this day they still remain the benchmark.

Hard2Get
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
12,837 posts
Hard2Get has attended 21 events
Posted - 2015/04/07 :  08:27:21  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Hard2Get's homepage  Reply with quote
No one knows who S3rl is over here. You cannot compare someone like that to Darren Styles based on youtube video views.

Edited by - Hard2Get on 2015/04/07 08:28:08
Samination
Advanced Member

Sweden
13,073 posts

195 hardcore releases
Samination has attended 17 events
Posted - 2015/04/07 :  10:37:11  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Samination's homepage  Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hard2Get:
No one knows who S3rl is over here. You cannot compare someone like that to Darren Styles based on youtube video views.

only way to have never heard of s3rl is to have never listened to Freeform

http://samination.se/
---------------------------------------------

Vladel
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,514 posts
Posted - 2015/04/07 :  13:29:49  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Vladel's homepage  Reply with quote
Styles isn't as bad as Gammer who was quoted as saying the old stuff wasn't technically challenging. Yes it is technically challenging to listen to your new stuff yes you are right. Styles these days strikes me as wanting to be in the big room dubcore club etc but not properly into it, hense he prances about just over the line as to not enrage his long term fans. This is unlike Gammer who openly slates them on Twitter and slags off his own music he used to make, hilarious really.

Hard2Get
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
12,837 posts
Posted - 2015/04/07 :  15:40:56  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Hard2Get's homepage  Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by Samination:
quote:

The point is that he is not a big name. He doesn't play over here so there is very little exposure for people who go to raves.

Edited by - Hard2Get on 2015/04/07 15:42:06
ViolonC
Average Member

Germany
243 posts
ViolonC has attended 2 events
Posted - 2015/04/07 :  15:49:56  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit ViolonC's homepage  Reply with quote
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Samination:
quote:

The point is that he is not a big name. He doesn't play over here so there is very little exposure for people who go to raves.

Well, he is a big name, but some people get tunnel vision when it comes to UK hardcore.

Elliott
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,137 posts
Posted - 2015/04/08 :  11:18:13  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Elliott's homepage  Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by Vladel:
Styles isn't as bad as Gammer who was quoted as saying the old stuff wasn't technically challenging. Yes it is technically challenging to listen to your new stuff yes you are right. Styles these days strikes me as wanting to be in the big room dubcore club etc but not properly into it, hense he prances about just over the line as to not enrage his long term fans. This is unlike Gammer who openly slates them on Twitter and slags off his own music he used to make, hilarious really.

Yep. It pisses me off that Gammer is so quick to slate the music that got him where he is today. He never has to produce another track in the old style if he doesn't want to but to say that it sucks is a huge middle finger to the fans.

The funny thing is that I don't personally see how his new love affair, trap, is more varied or complex than '08 era hardcore. Simple breakbeat drum pattern, same deep, unfolding bass in every track, deliberately abrasive vocal samples and whiny synths with lots of sliding/portamento. Not very good at writing melodies? Just repeat the same note over and over again! How's that for complexity?

Edited by - Elliott on 2015/04/08 11:23:51
Elliott
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,137 posts
Posted - 2015/04/08 :  17:38:58  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Elliott's homepage  Reply with quote
quote:
quote:

What you say is correct, but he no longer labels himself or his music as Hardcore. His disassociation means S3RL fans don't become Hardcore fans as he's cut all the main ties.

I don't really understand his thought process. Maybe he doesn't have one. He doesn't seem like the smartest cookie in the jar.

Elipton
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,268 posts
Elipton has attended 2 events
Posted - 2015/04/08 :  19:08:36  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Elipton's homepage  Reply with quote
S3RL compared to Darren Styles is a difficult one and Steve's post raised an eyebrow.

Personally, I think Darren Styles has gotten lucky riding off of his successful history. He's done well both commercially and locally a decade ago, and he's been just active enough to sustain that with events and the occasional trend-following release (and generally for being Hardcore's little pretty-boy). He's done no more than anyone else to get ahead since AATW failed.

S3RL has a bit of a similar story. Had some massive success commercially (with Daddy DJ covers) and locally (on labels like NuE) and he's kept the same style to sustain and arguably grow. He's probably a massive name to have at events, and whilst he's not huge in the UK, but abroad he's by always the first name on peoples lips when you talk about rave, happy hardcore or kandi music (etc etc).

So drawing this down to the foundation of the matter - followings through producing and releasing music - lets see how the numbers add up. Ignoring legacy, history, events attendance and events appearances, I'm curious to see who's music is the most closely followed.

So a track uploaded or revealed recently and a month ago. S3RL has "Old Stuff" from 7 days ago and "R4V3 B0Y" from a month ago. Styles has "Rest of Your Life" (seemingly on Youtube only) and "It's like that" (on Soundcloud)

Old Stuff by S3RL has 40k listens on YT and 11k on SC after 7 days. R4V3 B0Y has 127k listens on YT and 47k listens on SC.

Styles has Rest of Your Life retrieving 9k on Youtube after 2 weeks and It's Like That getting 16k on Soundcloud. Duped.

I know it's highly inaccurate going off silly stats like that, but when Styles has twice as large following on Facebook and a larger following on Soundcloud, you get the impression his music should earn more listens. S3RL's numbers seem consistent, and whilst Youtube is an advantage because he has run it for a long time, it still means his music is heard more globally and he has a larger following as result. Styles may have 'fans' on his pages down to events appearances, past fame or past associations, but a minuscule fraction of them actually listen to his latest tracks - evidently. I'd say he'd be the bigger asset if he still associated himself with the scene. His global reach is huge, whilst Styles' popularity is very concentrated (though I have no doubt he has and can fill an arena in the States)

Edited by - Elipton on 2015/04/08 19:10:17
Elliott
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,137 posts
Posted - 2015/04/09 :  00:47:09  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Elliott's homepage  Reply with quote
quote:
Personally, I think Darren Styles has gotten lucky riding off of his successful history. He's done well both commercially and locally a decade ago, and he's been just active enough to sustain that with events and the occasional trend-following release (and generally for being Hardcore's little pretty-boy). He's done no more than anyone else to get ahead since AATW failed.

Really? I mean, the guy has earned the right to coast a little with his track record but I reckon he was still one of the best producers in the scene until very recently.

ViolonC
Average Member

Germany
243 posts
ViolonC has attended 2 events
Posted - 2015/04/09 :  02:43:12  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit ViolonC's homepage  Reply with quote
Funny thing probably is... Hardcore always absorbed the other electronic styles somewhat. But not until recently dance music became mainstream. So there was no need to be critical for the "main stream" influence on hardcore - that little bit that's always there is okay - because dance music wasn't main stream. You may correct me, but i can't recall a Styles track with silly amount of trap in it, even the hollow "big room" kick/bass. Not that i would be mad if there was one. Comparison with Gammer is understandable but he didn't really leave the Hardcore sound (as some would perceive) as Gammer an Breeze did, yet.

Hard2Get
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
12,837 posts
Posted - 2015/04/09 :  09:20:26  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Hard2Get's homepage  Reply with quote
What do you mean? Dance music has always been mainstream. It just wasn't mixed with non-electronic stuff in the way that it is now.

Edited by - Hard2Get on 2015/04/09 09:21:28

New PostPost Reply
Topic is 3 pages long: 1  2  3
 Printer friendly
  Verified artist
   Donating member How to donate

It took 1.45 ninja's to process this page!

HappyHardcore.com

1999 - 2024 HappyHardcore.com
audio: PRS for music. Build: 3.1.73.1

Go to top of page