Lost password
 Remember my login 
 All forums
 Music discussion - hardcore
 Quick vs long mixing style
 Printer friendly
Page: 
of 2

All users can post new topics in this forum. All users can reply to topics in this forum

Author Thread  
Alabaster

United Kingdom
33 posts
Posted - 2015/10/14 :  14:42:48  Show profile Send a private message
I was intrigued by comments in this thread: http://www.happyhardcore.com/forums/topic.asp?topic_id=75374 about Gammer's mixing style. I always thought the idea with hardcore was to mix as fast as possible whilst still keeping it listenable to. Was I wrong? When do you tend to mix out of a track?

Alert moderator
djDMS
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
10,304 posts

572 hardcore releases
djDMS has donated money to the site djDMS has attended 43 events
Posted - 2015/10/14 :  14:52:39  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit djDMS's homepage
I think promo mixes and live sets should show what a DJ can do, and if that's quick mixing, great. But, sometimes people just want to hear the tunes (especially if they're really good ones). Often, if a tune appears on a mix/album months before release, it can be frustrating to only hear a bit of it.

Personally I can live with either, but I prefer getting lots into a mix, but I buy unmixed stuff that I can listen to all the way through anytime.

Alert moderator Go to top of page
Samination
Advanced Member

Sweden
13,073 posts

195 hardcore releases
Samination has attended 17 events
Posted - 2015/10/14 :  14:52:46  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Samination's homepage
I've only really tried quickmixing on Makina and Gabber (they are more lenient to that kind of mixing... or I just suck mixing british Hardcore that way :P)

Makina, a style that is usually mixed on 3 decks in Spain, is definitly a style that allows for quick mixing. I usually start the intro for the incoming track just when the melody starts after the first breakdown. Makina usually has a quieter section just after the first main section, which is usually where the incoming track's melody starts.

Gabber or Dutch Hartdcore on the other hand, is pure chaos. As long as it doesn't clang you can almost play tracks into eachother.

I'm not a technical DJ so I usually refrain from quickmixes, but when I can get them to work they're usually marvelous

http://samination.se/
---------------------------------------------

Mortis
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
7,493 posts

341 hardcore releases
Mortis has donated money to the site Mortis has attended 7 events
Posted - 2015/10/14 :  15:21:55  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Mortis's homepage
Both have their place imo. A nice mix of the two during a set is always good.

GrahamC
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
590 posts
Posted - 2015/10/14 :  15:34:08  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit GrahamC's homepage
See, I always took it to mean the 'joins' between the tracks, i.e. how long you play the records together. When I listen to Gammer's more recent mixes, on the D&G Album, the HU Album and the new Music Mondays one he did, there is not much evidence of actual mixing, seems to rattle from one track to another with a sound effect or stutter. Perfectly in time obviously but it is like setting up the next record to be in time and instead of playing them together, mixing, he is slamming the fader from one deck to the other.

Appreciate there is a lot of tracks on these albums and if there was overlap for all the tracks you could not fit as many on.

That said, the whole point of getting a CD mixed by Gammer or any of the other big names, is to hear their skill on the decks/Ableton but this style of non-mixing, thats the easiest thing in the world, clack-done! I want to hear the tracks blend one into the other. Brisk's Album mix is the best recent example I can think of!

Vladel
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,514 posts
Posted - 2015/10/14 :  15:38:34  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Vladel's homepage
I like quick mixing if the tracks are mixed for quite a bit. Fast fade in and fade out definitely not. Albums need a good length but anything else just needs to be good mixing and that gammer cd is lazy from what i hear

Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,511 posts
Posted - 2015/10/15 :  12:47:46  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Guest's homepage
quick mixing says your shit and can`t mix, you might aswell just chop over to the next tune

i have to be using loops to sort my mixes out, otherwise there aint no point in mixing, or spending more then a few hundred quid on some decks

Gabber or Dutch Hartdcore is just hardcore, not chaos, its just the mid 90s with sub bass, there are shit uk hardcore events, and how it is all round europe with all those festivals to itself and chicks in hotpants n shit

only have to listen to korsakoff, restyle and anime, etc who play at the events

Edited by - Guest on 2015/10/15 13:01:36
Captain Triceps
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
2,184 posts
Posted - 2015/10/15 :  13:43:58  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Captain Triceps's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Guest:
Gabber or Dutch Hartdcore is just hardcore, not chaos, its just the mid 90s with sub bass, there are shit uk hardcore events, and how it is all round europe with all those festivals to itself and chicks in hotpants n shit

You're right, quick mixing can have its place sometimes.

https://soundcloud.com/paulbradley1982

Samination
Advanced Member

Sweden
13,073 posts

195 hardcore releases
Posted - 2015/10/15 :  15:20:32  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Samination's homepage
I mean't that the harder Hardcore is more chaotic in nature (not in structure or in genre name), which kinda allows it for mixing it poorly (as long as it doesn't clang our sound out-of-sync too much)

wong
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
2,991 posts
Posted - 2015/10/15 :  16:45:26  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit wong's homepage
both

Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,511 posts
Posted - 2015/10/15 :  21:49:41  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Guest's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Captain Triceps:
quote:

not really, quick mixes defeat the point of all the tunes saying out to all the real dj`s, im the dj, dj in the blocks, and all the other shiz

quick mixes are rubbish when drunk, stoned, on speed, or anything, most people in a club will stop and think shit mix

Edited by - Guest on 2015/10/15 21:52:03
Captain Triceps
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
2,184 posts
Posted - 2015/10/16 :  00:26:13  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Captain Triceps's homepage
quote:
quote:
quote:

not really, quick mixes defeat the point of all the tunes saying out to all the real dj`s, im the dj, dj in the blocks, and all the other shiz

quick mixes are rubbish when drunk, stoned, on speed, or anything, most people in a club will stop and think shit mix

That's more or less the point I was trying to make.

warped_candykid
Advanced Member

United States
3,934 posts
warped_candykid has attended 5 events
Posted - 2015/10/16 :  00:33:00  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit warped_candykid's homepage
I prefer long transitions with lots of tricks and treats! Many tracks today just aren't structured with interesting intros/outros. We've also gone from 6-7 min. tracks, down to 4 min tracks, so the 'traditional' mixing style just isn't as present.

Samination
Advanced Member

Sweden
13,073 posts

195 hardcore releases
Posted - 2015/10/16 :  04:33:58  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Samination's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by warped_candykid:
I prefer long transitions with lots of tricks and treats! Many tracks today just aren't structured with interesting intros/outros. We've also gone from 6-7 min. tracks, down to 4 min tracks, so the 'traditional' mixing style just isn't as present.

Well that's kinda obvious with CDs, where you dont need to place the needle on the right spot and have 1 min to correct it :P

Captain Triceps
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
2,184 posts
Posted - 2015/10/16 :  09:39:39  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Captain Triceps's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by warped_candykid:

Yeah, how fucking boring is it when there's a 32 beat intro of nothing but kicks, then the breakdown. I mean they don't all need to be freeform-eqsue intros, with 3 minutes of in your face music before the first breakdown, but I do miss recognisable intros, the ones with a distinctive stab pattern or bleeps or something so you know what's coming. It's just the way things are now, it's not necessarily bad.

Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,511 posts
Posted - 2015/10/16 :  11:00:10  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Guest's homepage
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

That's more or less the point I was trying to make.

long mixes are abvoiusly better, more so for hardcore, if you have traktor, you can set the next loop hot cue active when the play marker reaches the hot cue

like this mix out, and what mixing is made for https://youtu.be/AoDGyijrzlg?t=20m17s and a whole lot better in a club or outdoor festival

you have 8 hot cues, it best to go through and set loops at the start and end of tracks, but then NI to too patheticly shit, to localize all your files on a usb stick so you can take it all to a club, like pioneer rekord box full dj app will do

dont have to go through tracks if you have a VMS4.1 and my mapping, it will so everything, except finding other tracks to load

so if any of you use my mapping, just press the reloop button, and the next loop hotcue will become active, even in traktor 2.7 when its suppose to be broken

Edited by - Guest on 2015/10/16 11:21:57

New PostPost Reply
Topic is 2 pages long: 1  2
 Printer friendly
  Verified artist
   Donating member How to donate

It took 1.2 ninja's to process this page!

HappyHardcore.com

1999 - 2024 HappyHardcore.com
audio: PRS for music. Build: 3.1.73.1

Go to top of page