Email Us!
Username: Password:

Lost password
 Remember my login 

All forums
 Tracks, DJ mixes & release announcements
 New to Djing
 Printer friendly

All users can post new topics in this forum. All users can reply to topics in this forum

Author Thread  
Dj divad
Starting Member

Canada
12 posts
Posted - 2010/04/30 :  06:51:38  Show profile Send a private message
Heyy guys im new to DJing so im looking for some feed back ifyou guys could give me some that would be great and yes i know im not djing with tables yet im saving my pennies for my setup but yea if you could check out my mix that would be great

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8AQ1WpmZZEo

Alert moderator
DJ Specimen

United States
350 posts
Posted - 2010/04/30 :  19:54:16  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit DJ Specimen's homepage
Well it wasn't bad... certainly nothing I'm going to make all my friends listen to. I feel like hardcore music needs vocals or it just sounds like a kick drum and box of silverware. Also, I'm not really certain what you did... I haven't noticed any beat juggling it just sounds like you overlapped the end and beginning, which is an alright place to start but I wouldn't put that on youtube or the forums here.

http://djtutor.com/

Ellaskins has quite a bit of useful stuff on there, though a lot of it is about using your turntables and whatnot, which you don't have to worry about lol.

Also, hardcore should have a breakbeat every 4 to 6 minutes, as a rule of thumb, something trance-like, piano music or vocals, it draws attention off of the fact that this music is incredibly repetitive, so do vocals in the song. I mean, half the time when I'm mixing I'm just using a bass loop from the next song then pull it out of the loop to transition, which lets you know how repetitious this all is lol.

Anyway, good job for a first mix, but try to break the monotony, and I hope you won't be offended by anything I've said here, its the same treatment I STILL get when I make promoter friends listen to my mixes lol.

That's right, hellokitty.com, and don't act like you don't want one too.

Alert moderator Go to top of page
DJ Specimen

United States
350 posts
Posted - 2010/04/30 :  19:55:37  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit DJ Specimen's homepage
I was still listening to that while typing, and it hit a high point as I hit post reply lol...

the song at 9:30 has a really catchy tune, draws attention off the bass and high hats which are incredibly repetitive, use more music like that.

Dj divad
Starting Member

Canada
12 posts
Posted - 2010/05/02 :  01:41:40  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Dj divad's homepage
ok man thanks for the feed back yea im still getting used to mixing and stuff and im trying to save up like 2500 for the pioneer CDJ-400's and a pioneer DJM-400 so im trying to find some deals but im broke as crap right now so its hard but i do appreciate the feed back man and if you could give me some links to some sites or something that give good music i dont have money to buy eny so free ones would be good but i know you have to pay for the best so yea =)

DJ Specimen

United States
350 posts
Posted - 2010/05/02 :  02:03:33  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit DJ Specimen's homepage
People put a ton of free music downloads on here, just look through this section. Sometimes you can find entire albums, like crush on hardcore... though that's a bad example because it's not split tracks lol.

If you cant afford real equipment (like me), a MIDI controller is a good place to start. I got an ION iCue on ebay for $30, but I would never pay more than that for it, it's a piece of crap. Get a Hercules MKII or Numark total control for $100-200, if you want to be a bit more pricey, the Torq Xponent is absolutely top of the line at $300-500, and a step below that is probably the Numark Stealth or Omni at around $200 for the stealth and 250 for the omni (same thing, but the omni has a built in sound card and the stealth doesn't).

That's all just off the top of my head, of course. Hell if you just want SOMETHING, try and win an auction for the iCue like I did, sometimes the buttons don't respond, the pitch slider is really finicky, and the knobs tend to turn themselves... but at $30 and consider the fact that it gives me a cross fader and real sliders to use, I'm happy with it. Just don't pay the $100 for it on amazon lol.

Also, I don't think two cdj 400s and a mixer should cost over $1500.... and I suggest the DJM 909 if you can find it, it'll be the last mixer you ever need to buy.

Dj divad
Starting Member

Canada
12 posts
Posted - 2010/05/02 :  02:38:16  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Dj divad's homepage
yea well im in Canada, Alberta and i dont allways like buying off ebay and sites like that cuz of the quality ppl keep it in cuz i dont want to pay for something to be almost broken you know and i was looking at that mixer but here at axe music is super expensive its (1,466.74 can) and i wont have that money for a wile but i might try kajiji or ebay or something to find something cheeper but yea i like the CDJ400's iv tryed one out and i really liked it it was really easy to use so that y im going with thos =S

DJ Specimen

United States
350 posts
Posted - 2010/05/02 :  03:11:51  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit DJ Specimen's homepage
Yeah, no, definitely go with the cdj 400s, they're great.

I really don't understand why people are so scared of ebay... it's a great site. If a seller has a high rating (above 90%), they aren't going to be selling garbage. NO ONE forgets to leave negative feedback, and most people who are thoroughly impressed will leave positive. Also, most ebay stores offer a full refund, including return shipping, with the protection of paypal. ebay is completely safe nowdays so long as you watch your ass. Not to mention, Pioneer is the industry standard, they make incredibly durable equipment that really never gets to the "almost broken" point as far as I know. I've never been disappointed by pioneer anything, unless someone has done something really stupid with it.

Dj divad
Starting Member

Canada
12 posts
Posted - 2010/05/02 :  03:23:52  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Dj divad's homepage
yea if i do find the stuff i want cheep it will be hard to convince my mom lol ha im only 17 so idk

ill see if how cheep i can get the 909 but if i have to ill settle with the 400 its looking pretty solid so yea =)

im looking and on ebay they got everything i want for 1,897.49 but with the DJM-400 the 909 is still alot at like 1200 =(

Edited by - Dj divad on 2010/05/02 03:28:11
DJ Specimen

United States
350 posts
Posted - 2010/05/02 :  04:23:51  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit DJ Specimen's homepage
Yeah DJ equipment is expensive stuff. That's why I was saying you could just get a MIDI controller while you save up money for better equipment, rather than spend a shit ton now and have to either upgrade later or find out you don't like doing it as much as you thought you would.

If your heart is set on it though, I haven't heard anything bad about the djm 400, so it's probably just as solid as everything else Pioneer makes.

Dj divad
Starting Member

Canada
12 posts
Posted - 2010/05/02 :  04:28:34  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Dj divad's homepage
ok well thanks for the info i really appreciate it and i do really love djing so im still going to save my money for the gear i want i possibly will buy from ebay or something because it will be cheaper and yea but yea thanks for everything

Edited by - Dj divad on 2010/05/02 04:29:05

New PostPost Reply
 Printer friendly
  Verified artist
   Donating member How to donate

It took 1.39 ninja's to process this page!

HappyHardcore.com

1999 - 2024 HappyHardcore.com
audio: PRS for music. Build: 3.1.73.1

Go to top of page