Lost password
 Remember my login 
 All forums
 Tracks, DJ mixes & release announcements
 Moved: new track
 Printer friendly
Page: 
of 2

All users can post new topics in this forum. All users can reply to topics in this forum

Author Thread  
jay g

United Kingdom
56 posts
Posted - 2011/12/07 :  14:18:39  Show profile Send a private message
http://soundcloud.com/djjayg-1/new-hardcore-track-tba-1

this is my second go at hardcore this track is still in production to so any comments would be helpfull

Alert moderator
jay g

United Kingdom
56 posts
Posted - 2011/12/29 :  20:35:24  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit jay g's homepage
50 views and not 1 comment .........................

Alert moderator Go to top of page
Kayin

United States
52 posts
Posted - 2011/12/30 :  16:29:47  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Kayin's homepage
There are a lot of hardcore tracks out that's extremely complicated and sounds like there's 50 things going on, but you've chosen to try a simplistic and straight forward one which works just as fine and if not a bit better than those other complicated tracks.
Although, you should try some variation on this one to make it not sound so repetitive. For example, the lead melody you have sounds good for the buildup, but okay-ish when the whole track kicks in. Try variation for that melody here and there and that'll just make it sound great.

Besides that, you need to fix the structure, breakdowns (then again I've heard tracks that doesn't bother so much with it), and properly mix and master but you did say its a Work in Progress so I'm not gonna go apeshat cause of it hehe.

Keep working on it cause I'm looking forward to hearing this completely finished. =3

W: Well it's clearly no match for Jonathan Ross.
J: Well that's interesting because I f*cked your mom.

jay g

United Kingdom
56 posts
Posted - 2012/01/01 :  18:06:38  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit jay g's homepage
thanks for reply dude

Samination
Advanced Member

Sweden
13,085 posts

195 hardcore releases
Samination has attended 17 events
Posted - 2012/01/01 :  18:35:12  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Samination's homepage
dont know if its soundcloud or not, but that's a horrible way of using dynamic compression
each time the beat kicks in, the melody gets muffled/quiter

http://samination.se/
---------------------------------------------

cruelcore1
Advanced Member

Croatia (Hrvatska)
1,485 posts
Posted - 2012/01/01 :  19:00:22  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit cruelcore1's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Samination:
dont know if its soundcloud or not, but that's a horrible way of using dynamic compression
each time the beat kicks in, the melody gets muffled/quiter

That's often caused by limiter, usually with high attack/release. And many new producers use limiter only, so I think tht might be one of the causes too.

Archefluxx
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,112 posts
Archefluxx has attended 2 events
Posted - 2012/01/01 :  19:03:52  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Archefluxx's homepage
Its a good effort but of course there are things you need to work on.

Firstly, understand hardcore. Listen to some of the tracks and work out how they sound and the structure.

This is a general recipe for a decent length track:

16 bars of mixable intro, keeping it single note and simple,
16 bars of kick and bass, again single note and simple so its mixable
16 bars of kick and modulating bassline building into the breakdown
16 bars of breakdown including pads or piano and whatever
8-16 bars of buildup into the drop for the melody
16-32 bars of melody after the drop
16 bars of single bass allowing a DJ to mix in or mix out of the track
16 bars of kick and modulating bass building into another section
16-32 bars of whatever you like. Breakdown, breaks...
8-16 bars of building into another drop
32 bars of melody
32 bars of simple outro. Take the bass out after 16 bars, and leave single note synths left at your choice to make it easily mixable

Now also, production needs work. Hardcore tracks like this need a bassline to act as the duct tape helping it flow and stuff. Firstly this track need the bassline to be leveled up better with the kick, and it needs to be in tune.

I think the kick over powers every aspect of the song. While hardcore is normally kick led, mixing a track down so its well balanced is a fine art, and its one that comes with experience and time. In this instance the kick with its clap and ride is too loud.

A BIG factor that needs changing is the Limiting. Assuming you're in FLS, Fruity Limiter is normally on by default. Switch it off, definitely switch it off. You see, all the sounds playing together is far too loud, and the limiting brings the sounds down and trys to control them. That is why the melody is so quiet when the kick is playing. The Limiter sacrifices the sound to control the level stopping distortion. Simply take off the limiter and turn down the master channel so it never exceeds 0.0db

That should cover some of the issues so far.

jay g

United Kingdom
56 posts
Posted - 2012/01/07 :  11:05:22  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit jay g's homepage
Archefluxx thats some awsome advise there and will use it all cheerz mate

Waglas

Netherlands
47 posts
Posted - 2012/01/08 :  00:24:10  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Waglas's homepage
Nice melody! Really happy!

Just like your other song, the bass is out of tune. Usually the bass note is the same as one of the notes in the melody playing the same time (not always but most of the times). If you have trouble to find the right one, just try all the notes till you find the one that sounds right.

An other option is that the instrument is out of tune. Put the knobs that transpose the sound at zero and it should sound right again.

Karthy

United Kingdom
337 posts
Posted - 2012/01/08 :  03:46:28  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Karthy's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Waglas:
If you have trouble to find the right one, just try all the notes till you find the one that sounds right.

Do this and you'll be there for years. A much quicker solution to this would be to learn some music theory in all honesty. You could learn all there is to music theory in the time it would take to shift every note up the scale until you have a song that works!

As for some advice, definately turn that limiter off! Or at least fix it up (not a big fan of keeping that limiter on in FL though myself), I think the bass may sound alright after taking off the limiter, I'm not sure though... It's very hard to hear. Also, might just be me but I think the lead could use some beefing up, layer it with a supersaw, eq the high end and maybe mids to make it sound a bit beefier and finally, work on the breakdown. Add some epic pads in (of the saw type, 'cause I'm a sucker for fat supersaws )

Sounding nice already though! Couple all this with Archefluxx's advice to get your track to be full length and you've got an epic tune! Good luck! :)

Edited by - Karthy on 2012/01/08 03:52:57
Dys7
Advanced Member

United States
1,231 posts
Posted - 2012/01/08 :  04:04:31  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Dys7's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Karthy:
quote:
Originally posted by Waglas:
If you have trouble to find the right one, just try all the notes till you find the one that sounds right.

Do this and you'll be there for years. A much quicker solution to this would be to learn some music theory in all honesty. You could learn all there is to music theory in the time it would take to shift every note up the scale until you have a song that works!

As for some advice, definately turn that limiter off! Or at least fix it up (not a big fan of keeping that limiter on in FL though myself), I think the bass may sound alright after taking off the limiter, I'm not sure though... It's very hard to hear. Also, might just be me but I think the lead could use some beefing up, layer it with a supersaw, eq the high end and maybe mids to make it sound a bit beefier and finally, work on the breakdown. Add some epic pads in (of the saw type, 'cause I'm a sucker for fat supersaws )

Sounding nice already though! Couple all this with Archefluxx's advice to get your track to be full length and you've got an epic tune! Good luck! :)

Everything he said - I've taken instrumental lessons in piano and percussion for 7 years, and when I got into FL Studio, I could harmonize instantly.

---
The Spirit at the Edge of Infinity
Check out my cheesy fiddlings here:
http://soundcloud.com/dys7dj/

Waglas

Netherlands
47 posts
Posted - 2012/01/08 :  15:19:45  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Waglas's homepage
quote:
Do this and you'll be there for years.

Yes, of coarse it is a good idea to study some music theory for a theoretical background. But in the end you do everything by ear and you can't learn that out of a book, you need to practise.

jay g

United Kingdom
56 posts
Posted - 2012/01/08 :  20:45:54  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit jay g's homepage
what i dont understand is how the bass is out of tune when its pitching withe the melody because i put all the bass notes to the low notes in the melody ??

Waglas

Netherlands
47 posts
Posted - 2012/01/09 :  08:18:01  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Waglas's homepage
I tried to find the bassnotes myself and I noticed I couldn't play along with your melody because it is out of tune. It sounds like the melody is played on a keyboard transposed a quarter of a note or something. Maybe search in that direction?

jay g

United Kingdom
56 posts
Posted - 2012/01/09 :  10:13:15  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit jay g's homepage
so whats your suggestion change the length on the notes ??

Waglas

Netherlands
47 posts
Posted - 2012/01/10 :  12:20:33  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Waglas's homepage
You can try another lead, if it sounds right you know its your lead.

It has nothing to do with the length of the notes. In your VSTi there are knobs which say something like semitones or octaves and fine or tune, it depends on the VSTi which names are used. With these knobs u can transpose your melody, make sure theyre all on zero then they wont be out of tune. Of course you other instruments have to be in tune too.

New PostPost Reply
Topic is 2 pages long: 1  2
 Printer friendly
  Verified artist
   Donating member How to donate

It took 1.66 ninja's to process this page!

HappyHardcore.com

1999 - 2024 HappyHardcore.com
audio: PRS for music. Build: 3.1.73.1

Go to top of page