Email Us!
Username: Password:

Lost password
 Remember my login 

All forums
 Music discussion - other genre
 Music and mentallity
 Printer friendly

All users can post new topics in this forum. All users can reply to topics in this forum

Author Thread  
Raver_Davie

United Kingdom
281 posts
Posted - 2003/01/30 :  15:24:50  Show profile Send a private message
I was watching a chat show today and on it were people who were involved with gangs and violence whilst the show's host rambled on about how the government are blaming rap music for this culture. What does everyone think when it comes to this sort of issue? Is the music really to blame?

Personally I have not come up with a black or white answer for this but, without being disrespectful, it is coincidental that most, not all, people I have met and heard of who follow rap music have an 'up yours' attitude. They try to make out they smoke all this weed, have sex with all these 'bitches' and hang out in 'da hood' with their 'homies' annoying people by blairing out there cruddy music from their cars. Why do you think they do this? How has certain types of music gained 'images'?

Dave!

Alert moderator
DJ Mouse
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
2,687 posts
DJ Mouse has attended 1 event
Posted - 2003/01/30 :  16:05:29  Show profile  Send a private message
reminds me of so solid where ppl blame them for all the wannabe's carrying guns,think they're the dogs bollox and all of a sudden think they can mc. if you ask me i think music's got nowt to do with it. it's all about the drugs.

they think they're the dogs bollox coz they smoke weed,snort crack and some of them taking brown too,so in turn when they're off their rocker they think they're good by carrying a gun then they'll threaten or shoot someone to get a bit of cash for their next fix. then they think they're good coz they jacked some little geek walking in "tha westside of tha hood innit b! booyaaaa!!"

then again its like 1 of them listens to it and thinks its good,everyone follows,peer pressure!

--------------------------------------------------
"Did you know that eleven plus two is an anagram of twelve plus one?"

DJ Mouse

Alert moderator Go to top of page
tommo
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,233 posts
Posted - 2003/01/31 :  00:32:53  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit tommo's homepage
Haha,that was on Trisha right?I saw that,and that dude who got addicted to smack cuz he got in a gang and though it was cool.And he wanted to go back into prison because he said it was the safest place for him and he could get off the gear there.

I was watchin it yesterday with my mum,I've been off school all week but I've been fine the last three days.
Booya!!!

Im just a bassline addict
Im just a hardcore addict
Im just a dancefloor manic
Why o why cant you just accept it.

strychnine
Advanced Member

Australia
2,268 posts

92 hardcore releases
strychnine has attended 2 events
Posted - 2003/01/31 :  07:43:27  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit strychnine's homepage
I think that any given genre of music comes with it an attitude, an approach to the world and the people around it.

Mind you, I also think that people who let their music dictate their attitude seriously need their heads checked.

tommo
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,233 posts
Posted - 2003/02/16 :  05:17:15  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit tommo's homepage
^^
Agreed.

Im just a bassline addict
Im just a hardcore addict
Im just a dancefloor manic
Why o why cant you just accept it.

pacman
Advanced Member

Australia
1,132 posts

190 hardcore releases
pacman has attended 8 events
Posted - 2003/02/17 :  15:01:44  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit pacman's homepage
i think it's wrong to associate hip-hop with gang-culture. there are lots of great hip-hop acts who have always been trying to move away from this association (tribe called quest, J5, black eyed peas, de la). i really like hip hop and i don't have those attitudes. there are whole heaps of fans out there, real hiphopheads who support and believe in racial and sexual equality, and want to move people in the scene away from gang violence!

yes, music gains certain 'images' through associated drug use, criminal intentions and what have you. it just happens to be what the major influences are in a particular music scene. for instance, major electronic music styles which were previously just 'drug music' will now have their main influentials speaking out against drugs or trying to stop it being asociated with drug use. hip hop goes through periods where weed is really big, some where it's not so evident. it could be said (though i can't back this up) that after 96-97 alot of the more mainstream hip hop fans around the world weren't as violent because rappers were reeling from the deaths of biggie and pac and many were toning down their aggresiveness.

anyway, just my little rant - i haven't had one in a while! thanks!

drugs is not the answer... drugs? is the question... yes is the answer

manic

Australia
299 posts
manic has attended 8 events
Posted - 2003/02/17 :  20:05:41  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit manic's homepage
Music can create such strong emotions. But is the music to blame for a person who can not control those emotions. Hip hop, rap or any other genre for that matter can be designed to create a certain emotional response. But each emotional response to a piece of music will depend on how listeners to that music perceive it. Perceptions will be different based on a whole number of factors, environment being one of the most crucial. It is the perceptions to the music that will cause a number of emotional repsonses, and if those emotions can not be controlled then outcomes will not be normal.

I guess you just have to answer this question:

If there was no more hip hop or rap produced and you could round up all the music that was in circulation, would you still have gang violence? I think you still would. We were killing each other a long time before any rap or hip hop came on the scene.

" Hardcore is a feeling, not a fashion" DJ Scott Brown

weba_d
Advanced Member

Australia
789 posts
weba_d has attended 1 event
Posted - 2003/02/17 :  20:55:16  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit weba_d's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by strychnine:
I think that any given genre of music comes with it an attitude, an approach to the world and the people around it.

Mind you, I also think that people who let their music dictate their attitude seriously need their heads checked.

Personalitys can play a big part in attitudes towards societey and their peers

WEBA D

fazza
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,126 posts
fazza has donated money to the site fazza has attended 9 events
Posted - 2003/02/18 :  12:58:23  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit fazza's homepage
i dont reckon music makes you do things, you have got your own mind after all! saying that listening to rap makes you carry a gun and mug old ladies is like saying that watching trainspotting turns you into a junkie. imo anyway!

"I feel you, i want you, i know your touch is all i need, im waiting you're shining"

Raver_Davie

United Kingdom
281 posts
Posted - 2003/02/18 :  13:02:27  Show profile  Send a private message
It's like the arguement with movies and computer games. I do think some people copy what they see or hear, maybe producers should realise that many people out there aren't intelligent enough to put that imaginary divide between reallity and fiction.

Dave!

Inferno

United States
109 posts
Inferno has attended 1 event
Posted - 2003/02/20 :  11:16:49  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Inferno's homepage
I think that while the music doesn't dictate how a person acts, it might magnify it, or even reflect it. Because, really, who would write a song about something they -plan- on doing?

The stereotypes of people because of their music of choice are what bothers me the most

Hardcore will never die

fazza
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,126 posts
fazza has donated money to the site fazza has attended 9 events
Posted - 2003/02/20 :  12:04:44  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit fazza's homepage
exactly stereotypes are the worst. its like at work we have a picture of the "average thief" and below it it says

age- 16-25
time usually comes in store to steal - 12-6
steals - anything they sell
why - TO FEED DRUG HABIT!!

its such a stereotype! people just steal coz its there most of the time.

"I feel you, i want you, i know your touch is all i need, im waiting you're shining"

New PostPost Reply
 Printer friendly
  Verified artist
   Donating member How to donate

It took 1.58 ninja's to process this page!

HappyHardcore.com

1999 - 2024 HappyHardcore.com
audio: PRS for music. Build: 3.1.73.1

Go to top of page