Page: 
of 4

Author Thread  
trippnface
Advanced Member

United States
1,654 posts
trippnface has attended 21 events
Posted - 2017/10/01 :  23:34:00  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit trippnface's homepage  Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by djDMS:
quote:
Originally posted by trippnface:
quote:
Saw all the trance heads going barmy over it being played at an event.

Makes Hardcore snobbery look like child's play.

they liked it; or did not like it?

i would not have been pleased. it's not ****ing trance; it's not ****ing hardcore; it's modified hardstyle.

Generally, massively disliked.

I thought a lot of Hardcore listeners were closed minded but that was on another level.

I just don't see how paying hard earned money for one thing; and then unexpectedly getting another and being uspset is honestly close minded. People are paying for what they want to hear. I think everybody already knows most trance listeners are not fans of hardcore; I guess it's a cool shout out to hixxy and hardcore?

this idea that everybody loves every genre and they should all go together and nobody will complain is seriously whack. the huge variety between them all and the differences because and why people like those differences is what makes it all ideal; not trying to conform so everyone is content.

I guess everyone has an opinion on how many off genre songs should be played in a certain set of a certain genre; i think it should be about zero. I want the pure journey of the journey I love; and paid for. Maybe things need to evolve to be more clear about certain sets in certain places for seperate reasons.

I know at a psytrance fest nobody has any issue with hours upon hours of psytrance; but if someone decided to drop a trap remix to give their friend props ( or whatever) ; most people ( sure ; not all) would get upset. people should speak up for the specific thing they love. the ever forgiving and accepting hardcore scene probably has more issues because of those reasons.

Alert moderator Go to top of page
Edited by - trippnface on 2017/10/01 23:35:17
Captain Triceps
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
2,184 posts
Posted - 2017/10/01 :  23:47:02  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Captain Triceps's homepage  Reply with quote
quote:
the ever forgiving and accepting hardcore scene

https://soundcloud.com/paulbradley1982

jordesuvi

United Kingdom
143 posts
jordesuvi has attended 4 events
Posted - 2017/10/02 :  06:50:03  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit jordesuvi's homepage  Reply with quote
quote:

this idea that everybody loves every genre and they should all go together and nobody will complain is seriously whack. the huge variety between them all and the differences because and why people like those differences is what makes it all ideal; not trying to conform so everyone is content.

I guess everyone has an opinion on how many off genre songs should be played in a certain set of a certain genre; i think it should be about zero. I want the pure journey of the journey I love; and paid for. Maybe things need to evolve to be more clear about certain sets in certain places for seperate reasons.

Just my two penneth, but with all due respect, I think you're in the minority here.
Imagine I'm just a normal dude that dabbles on SoundCloud a bit with no real defined taste in music that happened to go to a Gareth Emery show. If he played all the vocal emotional trance stuff I'd be "ok cool that was a great show and what I expected".
However I'd find a performance to be a lot more memorable if he flipped the usual trope of banging out the same genre of music for two hours and dropped a Hixxy or Darren Styles remix of one of his songs in his set. Ultimately I'd either go "mehh, that wasn't for me" or I'd be like "Wowww, what is this?!!"
I think being polarizing and setting yourself apart from the crowd you were supposedly part of (this also applies to Gammer and to a degree S3RL too) is what gets you noticed.

Sort of the same applies to Hardwell that year he closed Ultra fest. Idk if you watched the livestream but being a dude typically known for mainstream prog/electro house he decided to close his headlining show with Hardstyle. On twitter you had people both criticizing and praising his decision either way it ruffled feathers and got people talking about him.

Also, if you paid for a specific "Psy Trance Festival 2017" then sure, whatever. But if I paid for a Gareth Emery Show I'm gonna get a Gareth Emery show, which can be whatever he decides to show me... not "Vocal Trance Show".
I'll still have expectations like "oh, I hope he plays concrete angel" but you get my point.

djDMS
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
10,304 posts

572 hardcore releases
djDMS has donated money to the site djDMS has attended 43 events
Posted - 2017/10/02 :  09:47:54  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit djDMS's homepage  Reply with quote
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
Saw all the trance heads going barmy over it being played at an event.

Makes Hardcore snobbery look like child's play.

they liked it; or did not like it?

i would not have been pleased. it's not ****ing trance; it's not ****ing hardcore; it's modified hardstyle.

Generally, massively disliked.

I thought a lot of Hardcore listeners were closed minded but that was on another level.

I just don't see how paying hard earned money for one thing; and then unexpectedly getting another and being uspset is honestly close minded. People are paying for what they want to hear. I think everybody already knows most trance listeners are not fans of hardcore; I guess it's a cool shout out to hixxy and hardcore?

I know at a psytrance fest nobody has any issue with hours upon hours of psytrance; but if someone decided to drop a trap remix to give their friend props ( or whatever) ; most people ( sure ; not all) would get upset. people should speak up for the specific thing they love. the ever forgiving and accepting hardcore scene probably has more issues because of those reasons.

That's all well and good but most of the comments I saw weren't even from people who were there

trippnface
Advanced Member

United States
1,654 posts
Posted - 2017/10/02 :  16:58:00  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit trippnface's homepage  Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by jordesuvi:
quote:

Just my two penneth, but with all due respect, I think you're in the minority here.
Imagine I'm just a normal dude that dabbles on SoundCloud a bit with no real defined taste in music that happened to go to a Gareth Emery show. If he played all the vocal emotional trance stuff I'd be "ok cool that was a great show and what I expected".
However I'd find a performance to be a lot more memorable if he flipped the usual trope of banging out the same genre of music for two hours and dropped a Hixxy or Darren Styles remix of one of his songs in his set. Ultimately I'd either go "mehh, that wasn't for me" or I'd be like "Wowww, what is this?!!"
I think being polarizing and setting yourself apart from the crowd you were supposedly part of (this also applies to Gammer and to a degree S3RL too) is what gets you noticed.

Sort of the same applies to Hardwell that year he closed Ultra fest. Idk if you watched the livestream but being a dude typically known for mainstream prog/electro house he decided to close his headlining show with Hardstyle. On twitter you had people both criticizing and praising his decision either way it ruffled feathers and got people talking about him.

Also, if you paid for a specific "Psy Trance Festival 2017" then sure, whatever. But if I paid for a Gareth Emery Show I'm gonna get a Gareth Emery show, which can be whatever he decides to show me... not "Vocal Trance Show".
I'll still have expectations like "oh, I hope he plays concrete angel" but you get my point.

this is touchy stuff; were these problems around in the 90'?

a hardcore artist would just drop into a house track and everybody loved it because " diversity" ?

a dnb artist dropped an old school hardcore track and the crowd was expected to accept and or enjoy it?

I just see it a a tactic of division. It divides more than it unites.

and the " ever forgiving and accepting hardcore scene " clearly does not apply to me ;)

I have zero issues calling anybody out over percieved faults or fallicious statements/ actions. As I owuld expect anybody to call me out for doing the same . this fanyboy disease is truly pitiful. It is definitely the worst here in USA with these " kandi kid" types.

Gammer and s3rl might have gotten more " noticed" but the quality went way down; and the most serious of their fanbase moved away.

They can call it success if they want.... more like taking advantage of the most basic and commerical aspects of a certain aspect for monetary gain. Not my defintion of success... to each their own.

Edited by - trippnface on 2017/10/02 17:01:14
trippnface
Advanced Member

United States
1,654 posts
Posted - 2017/10/02 :  17:26:27  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit trippnface's homepage  Reply with quote
Gotta love it. Here we have brand new artist throwing out a mega banger that trashes 90% of the degraded and watered down " hardcore" we all sit here and try to convince ourselves still sounds good. Hardcore needs a serious revival; and as long as people keep pushing hardcore lite; ( and especially from the old titans that are now near irrelevant ) we are going nowhere; and at an incredible speed. Time to throw ourt support behind artists that are interested in producing happy/ uk hardcore. I know loads of em. amateurs with superb talent. Can we start moving foreward?

https://soundcloud.com/scarreddigital-com/wulfx-lemon-juice

Vladel
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,514 posts
Posted - 2017/10/02 :  21:56:46  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Vladel's homepage  Reply with quote
quote:
Gotta love it. Here we have brand new artist throwing out a mega banger that trashes 90% of the degraded and watered down " hardcore" we all sit here and try to convince ourselves still sounds good. Hardcore needs a serious revival; and as long as people keep pushing hardcore lite; ( and especially from the old titans that are now near irrelevant ) we are going nowhere; and at an incredible speed. Time to throw ourt support behind artists that are interested in producing happy/ uk hardcore. I know loads of em. amateurs with superb talent. Can we start moving foreward?

I do like that one.

trippnface
Advanced Member

United States
1,654 posts
Posted - 2017/10/03 :  16:04:24  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit trippnface's homepage  Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by Vladel:
quote:

I do like that one.

I have so much love and respect for any new producer still trying to produce real hardcore.

How upsetting and difficult it must be to get acknowledged ( even with superb talent) in a genre where the only people who get recognition; are those who earned it over 15 years ago. The elements of the hardcore scene that are well versed; or outspoken enough; are simply not big enough.

on the HTID page there was a poll "who do you want to see!?"

Who was #1 and #2 ? Styles & Gammer.

I am just dumfounded. Why? They stopped making serious ( or clublandy; take your pick) hardcore; and they hardly play it. Come running was a long time ago. So was stuff like walk away or get away. Anybody who sees them now should now how massively the energy level is down. I seriously can't think of 2 hardcore producers I would rather see less. BUT THE MAJORITY HAS SPOKEN!

" I feel like i'm taking crazy pills" !

ANYbody getting into hardcore; generally hears styles and gammer first. Giving the false impression; what is played at EDC is happy hardcore. Driving an absolutely MASSIVE element of unaware and mostly uncaring ravers directly into a tiny scene with individuals who have much more specific tastes. Anybody who speaks up is immediately ostracized and called a hater.

Who do our heroes sympathize with?

Of course; not us. Respect is worth less than Money.

Until we prove what is valued and important for the actual supporters of hardcore ( not EDC converts that will utterly forget who gammer and styles are in 3 years; after this trap fad dies) hardcore will keep getting chipped away until there is nothing left and it dies entirely. Which perhaps woule be a good thing at this point. What a mess.

New PostPost Reply
Topic is 4 pages long: 1  2  3  4
 Printer friendly
  Verified artist
   Donating member How to donate

It took 1.31 ninja's to process this page!

HappyHardcore.com

1999 - 2024 HappyHardcore.com
audio: PRS for music. Build: 3.1.73.1

Go to top of page