Lost password
 Remember my login 
 All forums
 Music discussion - hardcore
 Wavs, mp3s, serato, iTunes = BALL ACHE!
 Printer friendly
Page: 
of 2

All users can post new topics in this forum. All users can reply to topics in this forum

Author Thread  
Johnscardy

United Kingdom
48 posts
Posted - 2017/12/01 :  10:30:22  Show profile Send a private message
I've just ripped loads of CDs to itunes as Wavs only to discover that although the meta data shows in iTunes, it does not save to the file, therefore I can't see the meta data in serato or any other programe.

This also applies to wavs that I've downloaded and manually tagged in iTunes.

Any help or suggestions would be muchly appreciated as I am now old and also possibly a bit thick.

Alert moderator
PecheyTheLizard
Average Member

United States
172 posts
Posted - 2017/12/01 :  12:56:23  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit PecheyTheLizard's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Johnscardy:
I've just ripped loads of CDs to itunes as Wavs only to discover that although the meta data shows in iTunes, it does not save to the file, therefore I can't see the meta data in serato or any other programe.

This also applies to wavs that I've downloaded and manually tagged in iTunes.

Any help or suggestions would be muchly appreciated as I am now old and also possibly a bit thick.

I believe WAVs are a non taggable format for audio when it comes to things outside of databases like iTunes. You could however if you wanted to listen to higher quality tracks just convert all of your WAVs to FLAC as that is basically the lossless version of an mp3. FLACs are taggable and sound just as good as any WAV!

Alert moderator Go to top of page
Samination
Advanced Member

Sweden
13,073 posts

195 hardcore releases
Samination has attended 17 events
Posted - 2017/12/01 :  13:42:19  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Samination's homepage
Wav's are taggable, but it's not a common practice (it's basicly injecting "foreign" data into the file)

http://samination.se/
---------------------------------------------

Johnscardy

United Kingdom
48 posts
Posted - 2017/12/01 :  19:49:04  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Johnscardy's homepage
So is that what people tend to do as a rule? Convert thier WAVs to FLAC? I've noticed I can edit a WAVs tags in Serato, but now I'm wondering if it saves it to the file itself or just remembers it in Serato?

Samination
Advanced Member

Sweden
13,073 posts

195 hardcore releases
Posted - 2017/12/01 :  20:34:14  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Samination's homepage
highly likely they store it in their own DB

PecheyTheLizard
Average Member

United States
172 posts
Posted - 2017/12/01 :  21:54:12  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit PecheyTheLizard's homepage
I've tried multiple times to tag my WAVs but they never really worked lol, and this is with a tagging program so it never worked for me.i normally convert my WAVs when I just want to listen to them on the go.

Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,511 posts
Posted - 2017/12/02 :  04:23:11  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Guest's homepage
drop some bar and buy https://www.dbpoweramp.com/

its the only flac compressor that is fully lossless and just put a wav into a flac container, then you can use mp3tag to convert files names into tags

Samination
Advanced Member

Sweden
13,073 posts

195 hardcore releases
Posted - 2017/12/03 :  08:00:47  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Samination's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Guest:

its the only flac compressor that is fully lossless and just put a wav into a flac container, then you can use mp3tag to convert files names into tags

so you mean that FLAC's own compressor can't do lossless? you're mental :D

Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,511 posts
Posted - 2017/12/03 :  10:51:21  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Guest's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Samination:
quote:

so you mean that FLAC's own compressor can't do lossless? you're mental :D

FLAC can do lossless, but the world is full of wankers, and don't include it as a option, not even in soundforge or all other wav editors, the only compressor that include full FLAC lossless is dbpoweramp

Samination
Advanced Member

Sweden
13,073 posts

195 hardcore releases
Posted - 2017/12/04 :  10:07:29  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Samination's homepage
I doubt that, considering FLAC STANDS for "Free Lossless Audio Codec".

And to argue against "only" dbpoweramp having it, I am using EZ Audio Ripper (Easy CD-DA Extractor), which uses the official 1.3.2 enc_flac.dll from xiph, which encodes the audio file to 8-0 (best-fast) compression or uncompressed.

Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,511 posts
Posted - 2017/12/05 :  04:14:16  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Guest's homepage
quote:

And to argue against "only" dbpoweramp having it, I am using EZ Audio Ripper (Easy CD-DA Extractor), which uses the official 1.3.2 enc_flac.dll from xiph, which encodes the audio file to 8-0 (best-fast) compression or uncompressed.

every program i have used in the past 15 years have compression levels 1 -> 10, not 0 for true lossless, true lossless which is a wav in a flac container is only in dbpoweramp

Samination
Advanced Member

Sweden
13,073 posts

195 hardcore releases
Posted - 2017/12/05 :  08:28:20  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Samination's homepage
quote:
quote:

every program i have used in the past 15 years have compression levels 1 -> 10, not 0 for true lossless, true lossless which is a wav in a flac container is only in dbpoweramp

thus the uncompressed.

If you ****** want, I could compress a wav into 4 files, (0, 4, 8 and uncompressed in ez's settings), but to verify if the decoded version is the same, I need a tool to check it, and since you're so obstinate, provide me with such a tool. But if you can't, then I guess we can say "case closed, you suck"?

Edited by - Samination on 2017/12/05 08:29:10
PecheyTheLizard
Average Member

United States
172 posts
Posted - 2017/12/05 :  12:16:06  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit PecheyTheLizard's homepage
quote:
quote:

I have a program called Free:ac that can convert WAV to FLAC perfectly with no compression, so I mean dbpoweramp isn't the only program capable of that

Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,511 posts
Posted - 2017/12/06 :  13:40:44  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Guest's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by PecheyTheLizard:
quote:
quote:

I have a program called Free:ac that can convert WAV to FLAC perfectly with no compression, so I mean dbpoweramp isn't the only program capable of that

yeah well, there is'nt alot of program that include the lossless part of FLAC, even though lossless means you loose no frequencies through the art of compression

with dbpoweramp you have the bonus of multiple encoding, with a track per CPU core, so your 3000 track collection takes 15 mins, to convert to FLAC if you have 8 core on the AMD FX 8300

dbpowerAMP better to have, especially if you lame and have terrabytes of samples and want to organise them in future DAW's

Edited by - Guest on 2017/12/06 13:43:09
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,511 posts
Posted - 2017/12/06 :  14:02:07  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Guest's homepage
never got the normalize plugin to work in dbpowerAMP, though

needs -12 RMS, so everything is touching the peak lines, or -10->-12db RMS

Edited by - Guest on 2017/12/06 14:13:03
kazukism92

Chile
301 posts
Posted - 2017/12/06 :  15:18:09  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit kazukism92's homepage
Well, I use mp3tag for "force" the wav files to have a tag.

And even for convert WAV files using a CD, I use Foobar.
Just saying ;D.

New PostPost Reply
Topic is 2 pages long: 1  2
 Printer friendly
  Verified artist
   Donating member How to donate

It took 1.05 ninja's to process this page!

HappyHardcore.com

1999 - 2024 HappyHardcore.com
audio: PRS for music. Build: 3.1.73.1

Go to top of page