Total online 1670
 Radio listeners 157+
Email Us!
Username: Password:

Lost password
 Remember my login 

All forums
 Music production & Gear talk
 I want to start DJing where do I start help!!
 Printer friendly

All users can post new topics in this forum. All users can reply to topics in this forum

Author Thread  
neo_h
Starting Member

United States
1 post
Posted - 2003/09/23 :  14:27:33  Show profile Send a private message
Ill try to keep this short... i have no experience djing at all ever before, or playing any type of instrument. basicaly my experiences in the area so far are listening to the music i can find on CD. never been to any clubs or reves yet cause of mi age (16) and the whole parent thing and not being able to be out past 12:00 or so, but not to get off topic... Regardless i still love listenin to music of all kinds but if i started djing i would probably mainly focus on hardcore and trance to begin with and see where that takes me. mi questions are mainly directed to people who currently dj or are starting up: do you think i, from my description would be able to pick up on djing well? what is the best kind (if any) of music to learn with? what is the basic equipment i would need to start off with?*note* i have looked into equipment so i dont need too much info on the issue... thankyou all 4 ya time ;) hope none of mi questions seem ingorant.. i jus wana get an idea of what im getin into before i go out and spend the money, ya kno, wit me not bein famaliar wit the equipment and all

Alert moderator

Edited by - neo_h on 2003/09/23 14:29:54
Leelo1
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
825 posts
Leelo1 has attended 2 events
Posted - 2003/09/23 :  16:29:25  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Leelo1's homepage
well all you gotta do is know the tunes n practice
thats wot i got told
your 1st few months are the the hardest

DO NOT DISTURB DJ IN PROGRESS
Leelo_1

Alert moderator Go to top of page
Xenochrome
Advanced Member

United States
2,645 posts
Xenochrome is a site donation subscriber Xenochrome has attended 5 events
Posted - 2003/09/23 :  19:17:13  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Xenochrome's homepage
Yeah, man. PRACTICE!!!
As far as good music to start out with...Anything with a 4/4 count should be good. I suggest using two copies of the same track. Just get used to releasing on beat and keeping them in sync. Once you have that down, adjust the tempo of one and practice getting the other one caught up.

Brian K
Advanced Member

United States
8,663 posts

528 hardcore releases
Brian K has attended 5 events
Posted - 2003/09/23 :  22:31:56  Show profile  Send a private message
as far as equipment goes, technics are the don as far as turntables go. if your interested in cddj's i'd probably go with pioneer...

spend the money initially on you're decks then look into a mixer.

do lots of practicing and make recordings of yourself mixing so you can listen to what you sound like...

"we'll delete the weak"

silver
Admin

Japan
12,549 posts

894 hardcore releases
silver is verified hardcore artist silver is a site donation subscriber silver has attended 108 events
Posted - 2003/09/23 :  23:15:16  Show profile View artist profile  Send a private message  Visit silver's homepage
Just start buying vinyl, listen to the vinyl, get to know the tunes and practice, practice, practice... If you can do that for about 6 months... you should become a good DJ :)

Equipment, read over some of the other posts in the gear section there are a lot of these questions... but it all comes down to what you can afford... DJing aint cheap.

You can buy your vinyl here http://Shop.HappyHardcore.com <-blanant plug :)

Comet
Advanced Member

United States
1,544 posts

745 hardcore releases
Comet has donated money to the site Comet has attended 22 events
Posted - 2003/09/24 :  19:39:09  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Comet's homepage
You just need to listen and find tracks that really strike you. That's how you develop your style. You find your favorite tracks from CDs, buy them, and mix with them! Most likely, you'll develop a love for a certain artist then you know what to buy.

BTW, Silver it's, 'blatant'.

___________ _ _ _
Hardcore 'till I die ..

CorDharel
Advanced Member

Switzerland
544 posts
Posted - 2003/10/02 :  14:20:56  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit CorDharel's homepage
I also started to DJ, but I do all the stuff with software. This has the advantage not to give out too much money for something I won't use. I also like to have software, not this "real life" stuff ;)

You could start with some easy type of software, this can be good and cheap stuff. I bet you would find all you need for free on the internet.

DJ Flex
Average Member

United Kingdom
160 posts
DJ Flex has attended 1 event
Posted - 2003/10/02 :  20:52:17  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit DJ Flex's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by CorDharel:
I also started to DJ, but I do all the stuff with software. This has the advantage not to give out too much money for something I won't use. I also like to have software, not this "real life" stuff ;)

You could start with some easy type of software, this can be good and cheap stuff. I bet you would find all you need for free on the internet.

What?! I can understand that software can help you understand how basic beatmatching works before hitting it on proper equipment - turntables (or cd's), but do you see pros using software?!

You cannot do better than the real thing, if you're devoted to dj'ing, buy decks, buy vinyls! Support the scene!

I 'personally' do not condone mp3 downloading, as i use it as a try before you buy option. Although record sites provide clips, i enjoy listening to the whole track if possible... anyways i'm going off on a different topic lol.

Buy decks and good luck!

dezmond

United Kingdom
79 posts
Posted - 2003/10/08 :  09:09:18  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit dezmond's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by DJ Flex:
quote:
Originally posted by CorDharel:

What?! I can understand that software can help you understand how basic beatmatching works before hitting it on proper equipment - turntables (or cd's), but do you see pros using software?!

You cannot do better than the real thing, if you're devoted to dj'ing, buy decks, buy vinyls! Support the scene!

I 'personally' do not condone mp3 downloading, as i use it as a try before you buy option. Although record sites provide clips, i enjoy listening to the whole track if possible... anyways i'm going off on a different topic lol.

Buy decks and good luck!

Pros do mix with software. Infared PA, Parasite PA and Coldcut went to a gig with nothing but an I-mac.

THere really are to many djs that think that a set up is just technic decks and Pioneer cd players. Don't go for the accepted standard. Try to find what you think is best. You may find the equipment is not as fancy when you play out but don't understimate the importance of making your mix tapes stand out.

The DJ mag competition winner spiced up there mix with loads of software touches and effects. You may not use that when you play out but it says alot to a promoter about how inventive and forward thinking you are.

Pete is Everyone
Everyone is Pete
Pete is the One

Feel my Pain http://www.impactclub.com/dezmond.htm

Feel my Pain http://www.impactclub.com/dezmond.htm

New PostPost Reply
 Printer friendly
  Verified artist
   Donating member How to donate

It took 1.31 ninja's to process this page!

HappyHardcore.com

1999 - 2024 HappyHardcore.com
audio: PRS for music. Build: 3.1.73.1

Go to top of page