Printer friendly
Page: 
of 3

Author Thread  
rafferty
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
621 posts
Posted - 2019/07/12 :  22:41:35  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit rafferty's homepage  Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by CDJay:
Hixxy is playing a spread of music from the genre to potentially new audiences. More things like that and things could improve.

Edit: anyway, it's all subjective. Rafferty thinks commercial high visibility acts intermittently writing and playing the occasional genre linked track is the answer. I think having a load of committed producer /djs writing in genre is the answer. The truth is both would benefit each other a lot more if in any way linked. They aren't, though. Which is why we're having this conversation 😂

CDJay

It happened in 1996 when Hardcore was at it's peak. If Tweekacore is commercial so is Hardcore Underground. Are plenty of artists on that label that have been known to do very commercial covers, even more commercial than Tweekacore. Dj Storm for a start. Not only that, they sound more cheesy than Tweekacore.
Is almost like you have a bit of jealousy for a Hardstyle act that is having success in Hardcore.

You really have no idea cdjay... Scooter are a whole different kettle of fish to Tweekacore. They are signed to a big commercial label, while Tweekacore are co running Electric Fox with Darren Styles.
How is that the same? Are you going to call Darren Styles the same as Scooter too? May as well call Techikore like Scooter also. He has tracks signed to Tweekacore and Styles Electric Fox label also.
Callum Higby just put out a track on there too. Yep he may as well be classified like Scooter going by your logic.

Time to stop being a pot and calling the kettle black lol. I know for a fact Hardcore Underground would sign Tweekacore in a heartbeat if they could.
No point getting all moralistic about who is worthy and who is'nt.
I can see right through it lol

Candy & anime was just a faze & a total embarrassment that everyone mocks and laughs at now.

Alert moderator Go to top of page
Edited by - rafferty on 2019/07/12 22:56:56
CDJay
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
3,049 posts
Posted - 2019/07/13 :  13:06:43  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit CDJay's homepage  Reply with quote
Yeah, you're wilfully misinterpreting what I'm saying whilst foisting all kinds of stuff.

I'll say it again, and try to be clearer. I am not saying Tweekacore are like Scooter in terms of anything *other* than their visibility and popularity are entirely separate from the wider genre. Hence the comparison to Dutch HH.

No, I doubt we'd sign Tweekacore as they're actually *doing* something (!) and can anyone give me an example this decade of "Supergroup/labels" actually being more than the sum of their parts? No. Quite the reverse. Anyway, as you just noted; their imprint is being used to showcase other artists so that's one of the most promising things I've seen (along with the Hixxy radio show noted).

If you trawl back through my posts over the past 15 years I think you'll find I've been fairly consistent in my messaging.

Enjoy what you enjoy, by all means, *but* pretending the state of the wider scene globally is anything other than absolutely F***ed ( whilst the pockets of contained visibility you exalt as a solution, or marker of health, has been present for the past few years) is confused thinking IMO.

The reason the commercial angle worked in the past, whether it was the likes of Bonkers, even Clubland Xtreme, is that it inevitably showcased a wide range of active artists. We haven't seen anything like that, in a sustained or considered fashion, in years. So, again, here we are.

CDJay

Edited by - CDJay on 2019/07/13 14:02:01
danielseven

Italy
350 posts
danielseven has attended 4 events
Posted - 2019/07/14 :  09:26:58  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit danielseven's homepage  Reply with quote
quote:

The reason the commercial angle worked in the past, whether it was the likes of Bonkers, even Clubland Xtreme, is that it inevitably showcased a wide range of active artists. We haven't seen anything like that, in a sustained or considered fashion, in years. So, again, here we are.

One of the reasons why S3RL managed to stay relevant after the Nu Energy Collective closed its doors (and Kevin Energy & Sharkey retired) is that, from that moment, he started to do things on his own way (and being like "**** ya all" to the scene). Releasing and self-distributing his music constantly, with ONE release EACH month, and making it accessible through every possible channel (with even candy-looking videoclips on YouTube). Now S3RL is way much more popular than all the artists in the UK Hardcore scene merged together, and don't tell me that isn't true. Look at how massive was the crowd every time he played a gig last year (S3RL was the only artist able to fill the entire Happy Hardcore stage at Easter Rave in Germany, in 2018 - impressive considering that Da Tweekaz was playing at the same time in the Hardstyle stage), and how many views his videos are doing on YouTube. And, he isn't even supported by Hixxy, Darren Styles, Gammer (when he still made Happy Hardcore) or any of the UK Hardcore artists, or ever had a gig in the UK.

This is also what Electric Fox, 24/7 Hardcore, Scarred Digital, and even HPTG Music is doing now. Releasing music constantly, with a cadence of one release each month. And promoted according to the new industry standards.

Also, I want to tell personally to CDJay, that Hardcore Underground is such a powerful platform, and back in the day used to have an amazing lineup of artists. Nowadays, as I see it, Hardcore Underground is just a single entity label - with only Fracus & Darwin as artists (according to the website) - which is a bit of a shame. Entity just today went emo on Facebook saying that he doesn't feel connected anymore to the music, Nu Foundation passed away 8 years ago, and artists like Michael Mansion and Cube::Hard aren't even anymore active. Also, when it was the last time I saw a release by Chwhynny or even the vocals?

Would be amazing if Hardcore Underground started to do things like 24/7 is doing, with a roster of dedicated artists doing shit regularly. Jesus Christ, you got Callum Higby, Jakka-B, Stu Infinity, Macks Wolf and a lot of dedicated artists that would look amazing on your label. You even said that. You're literally just accusing the scene being unfair and repeating the same mistakes forever, but at the same time, you're letting the excuse that life has been so hard on you with accidents like Ganar or the delayed Blu The Roof project hindering your faith to the scene or even to your own label.

Edited by - danielseven on 2019/07/14 11:51:49
Samination
Advanced Member

Sweden
13,073 posts

195 hardcore releases
Samination has attended 17 events
Posted - 2019/07/14 :  12:42:26  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Samination's homepage  Reply with quote
For some reason I thought I saw Chwunny's name just recently, but Michael Mansion has (at leas) t2 tracks on Hardcore Heaven 4
https://hardcoreunderground.co.uk/store/view/hardcore-heaven-vol-4-digital

And not to kill your point, but isn't 24/7 = HU nowadays? :P

http://samination.se/
---------------------------------------------

danielseven

Italy
350 posts
Posted - 2019/07/14 :  16:52:02  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit danielseven's homepage  Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by Samination:
For some reason I thought I saw Chwunny's name just recently, but Michael Mansion has (at leas) t2 tracks on Hardcore Heaven 4
https://hardcoreunderground.co.uk/store/view/hardcore-heaven-vol-4-digital

And not to kill your point, but isn't 24/7 = HU nowadays? :P

24/7 is Al Storm. Hardcore Underground is CDJay and Fracus.

CDJay
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
3,049 posts
Posted - 2019/07/14 :  20:28:48  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit CDJay's homepage  Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by danielseven:
quote:

One of the reasons why S3RL managed to stay relevant after the Nu Energy Collective closed its doors (and Kevin Energy & Sharkey retired) is that, from that moment, he started to do things on his own way (and being like "**** ya all" to the scene). Releasing and self-distributing his music constantly, with ONE release EACH month, and making it accessible through every possible channel (with even candy-looking videoclips on YouTube). Now S3RL is way much more popular than all the artists in the UK Hardcore scene merged together, and don't tell me that isn't true. Look at how massive was the crowd every time he played a gig last year (S3RL was the only artist able to fill the entire Happy Hardcore stage at Easter Rave in Germany, in 2018 - impressive considering that Da Tweekaz was playing at the same time in the Hardstyle stage), and how many views his videos are doing on YouTube. And, he isn't even supported by Hixxy, Darren Styles, Gammer (when he still made Happy Hardcore) or any of the UK Hardcore artists, or ever had a gig in the UK.

This is also what Electric Fox, 24/7 Hardcore, Scarred Digital, and even HPTG Music is doing now. Releasing music constantly, with a cadence of one release each month. And promoted according to the new industry standards.

Also, I want to tell personally to CDJay, that Hardcore Underground is such a powerful platform, and back in the day used to have an amazing lineup of artists. Nowadays, as I see it, Hardcore Underground is just a single entity label - with only Fracus & Darwin as artists (according to the website) - which is a bit of a shame. Entity just today went emo on Facebook saying that he doesn't feel connected anymore to the music, Nu Foundation passed away 8 years ago, and artists like Michael Mansion and Cube::Hard aren't even anymore active. Also, when it was the last time I saw a release by Chwhynny or even the vocals?

Would be amazing if Hardcore Underground started to do things like 24/7 is doing, with a roster of dedicated artists doing shit regularly. Jesus Christ, you got Callum Higby, Jakka-B, Stu Infinity, Macks Wolf and a lot of dedicated artists that would look amazing on your label. You even said that. You're literally just accusing the scene being unfair and repeating the same mistakes forever, but at the same time, you're letting the excuse that life has been so hard on you with accidents like Ganar or the delayed Blu The Roof project hindering your faith to the scene or even to your own label.

We've tried *so* many times, through the comps and signings, to support the wider scene and various artists. Look at HH1 as an example. That pretty much burned out my will to try to work with collectives without cohesion. You can only have it thrown back in your face a finite number of times before your willingness to "put it out there" takes a hit. Also, and I can't stress this enough, you'd be amazed how few artists actually engage with us despite the albums and podcast. Which I find flummoxing.

Once BTR ships, and HH LA etc passes, we'll have another look at where things are in the wider sense. ATM self contained is a necessary predictability

CDJay

danielseven

Italy
350 posts
Posted - 2019/07/15 :  11:28:53  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit danielseven's homepage  Reply with quote
quote:
You'd be amazed how few artists actually engage with us despite the albums and podcast. Which I find flummoxing.

It's important to give a solid platform with a definite release and marketing plan (which also means sending out the tunes for promotion to YouTube networks) if you want the artists engaging with you. Which, you even said that, is something that's missing right now, with most of the artists releasing music sporadically and without a definite plan. I made the example of S3RL because fans know that he has a DEFINITE release plan.

I hope that, after BTR and HH LA, you will really consider these opportunities that social media are giving.

You're doing a good job with the completionist bundles and the Hardcore Heaven CDs, but remember, you're a label, not just a distributor. You gotta make the old catalogs accessible but also look at what the future brings on. See 24/7 - for example.

Edited by - danielseven on 2019/07/15 11:32:08
Samination
Advanced Member

Sweden
13,073 posts

195 hardcore releases
Samination has attended 17 events
Posted - 2019/07/15 :  16:04:07  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Samination's homepage  Reply with quote
s3rl has a different work morality, which is probably why it worked out so well for him. But i'd say appeal goes a long way. He managed to get people to like his stuff because "daddy dj" styled tracks have never died out.

http://samination.se/
---------------------------------------------

trippnface
Advanced Member

United States
1,654 posts
trippnface has attended 21 events
Posted - 2019/07/15 :  23:40:36  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit trippnface's homepage  Reply with quote
quote:
quote:

Jesus Christ, you got Callum Higby, Jakka-B, Stu Infinity, Macks Wolf and a lot of dedicated artists that would look amazing on your label.

Besides stu infinity ( and awhile back) I don't think any of them have even produced a single track i am interested in tbh. more than a few other artists more geared toward HU I would like to see. that overplayed hardstyle sound is already dominating nearly every other hardcore outlet. no need for HU to join the fray.

their soundclouds are straight ouch. no way in hell i would buy a comp or attend a show with that kind of music. ( stu infinity being an exception)

Edited by - trippnface on 2019/07/15 23:44:16
danielseven

Italy
350 posts
Posted - 2019/07/16 :  11:13:47  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit danielseven's homepage  Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by trippnface:
quote:
quote:

Jesus Christ, you got Callum Higby, Jakka-B, Stu Infinity, Macks Wolf and a lot of dedicated artists that would look amazing on your label.

Besides stu infinity ( and awhile back) I don't think any of them have even produced a single track i am interested in tbh. more than a few other artists more geared toward HU I would like to see. that overplayed hardstyle sound is already dominating nearly every other hardcore outlet. no need for HU to join the fray.

their soundclouds are straight ouch. no way in hell i would buy a comp or attend a show with that kind of music. ( stu infinity being an exception)

Their efforts in making "that overplayed hardstyle sound" is actually because they don't see in Hardcore Underground an opportunity of promotion - as Hardcore Underground right now is acting amazingly as a distributor but, honestly, a bit questionable and slow as a label. So, if Macks Wolf, Jakka-B, Callum Higby etc makes "that kind of music" (as you call it, with 160 BPM drops) it's because it's aimed at a platform that apparently looks promising in artistic opportunities and up to date with promotion.

So my suggestion to CDJay is to reconsider single releases on Hardcore Underground, proper promotion to Spotify playlists and hiring someone that can make cool looking Youtube lyric videos on the songs (and to see what's outside the scene).

In other words: make the music MORE accessible to everybody, and not only to the customers buying on the Hardcore Underground store.

PS: to have an example of what I mean as platform, I say it again: see what 24/7 is doing. They have a lineup of amazing artists, and 24/7 isn't just only Al Storm. There's Vinylgroover, Eufeion, Rob IYF, Stompy, Bananaman, UFO alongside other good artists making stuff that doesn't try to sound like Darren Styles and Tweekacore (which I still like, fyi). And believe me, once this environment and platform is created in HU, all the artists I mentioned will make what you call "good, real hardcore music".

Edited by - danielseven on 2019/07/16 11:21:53

New PostPost Reply
Topic is 3 pages long: 1  2  3
 Printer friendly
  Verified artist
   Donating member How to donate

It took 0.69 ninja's to process this page!

HappyHardcore.com

1999 - 2024 HappyHardcore.com
audio: PRS for music. Build: 3.1.73.1

Go to top of page