Lost password
 Remember my login 
 All forums
 Music discussion - hardcore
 Hardcore 2020 - Return or not?
 Printer friendly
Page: 
of 8

All users can post new topics in this forum. All users can reply to topics in this forum

Author Thread  
Impact
Average Member

United Kingdom
160 posts
Impact is verified hardcore artist
Posted - 2020/04/25 :  03:02:54  Show profile View artist profile Send a private message  Visit Impact's homepage
Hi All - Been a while...

It?s been over 10 years since I retired from the hardcore scene, and many on this forum won?t remember me.
For those that do - I?ve been contemplating Producing Hardcore again, but honestly...I have no idea of the state of the scene currently. Are there still hardcore events? Is there even still a following? Questions I?d hope you?d help me answer...

For context: I left the hardcore scene in 2008 to pursue other ventures. I?ve been successful in those other ventures, but no matter what I think about next - it always brings me back to hardcore. This isn't about making money (never was), and would purely because of love/ passion, because hardcore is in me, it?s part of me, and will always be part of me!

So...my questions for you all are:
1. Is there still a market?
2. What is hardcore in 2020?
3. What would you like Hardcore to be/ sound like? (most important)
4. Would you welcome a comeback?

Open to all feedback, positive and negative - I?ve had my share of both

Thanks!
Rory (Impact)

Alert moderator
lone_raver

United Kingdom
54 posts
Posted - 2020/04/25 :  06:34:36  Show profile  Send a private message
1. Probably not
2. Not very good
3. Like you made it before you left
4. Oh yes indeed but like you made it before you left. Pretty please!!

Alert moderator Go to top of page
The drunken scotsman
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,486 posts
Posted - 2020/04/25 :  06:52:45  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit The drunken scotsman's homepage
I cant really give much insight into what hardcore is in 2020. Probably most on this forum who actively post are in the older generation and not so much into the current scene or whatever is left of it. I would love to hear some new bits from you if it was anything like what you made in the past.

Sunrise, Someday, summer sun are a few of my favourites of yours and Id love to hear some new material along those lines.

Vladel
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,514 posts
Posted - 2020/04/25 :  08:35:18  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Vladel's homepage
1- I'm not sure at this stage.
2- there are still some good producers (hptg music and Al storms label). Most is 160bpm hardstyle knock off which is the latest iteration since the dark days of 2012.
3- I don't want us to reply the past but what has always drawn me is hard and happy (hence why I now follow restyle and Korsakoff from the Dutch scene. Or powerstomp when it was around). You once released a bootleg called "the finest" and while I wasn't keen on the sample, the track structure and flow I loved and optimised what I loved about that era.
4- I would love a comeback and I would hope you would do your own thing rather than fall into the sound of others like quite a few disappointing returns where we hoped for a change only for them to sound like everyone else.

Overall it's just great to know you are ok and I'm glad we heard from you.

LeVzi
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
944 posts
Posted - 2020/04/25 :  08:38:49  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit LeVzi's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Impact:
Hi All - Been a while...

It?s been over 10 years since I retired from the hardcore scene, and many on this forum won?t remember me.
For those that do - I?ve been contemplating Producing Hardcore again, but honestly...I have no idea of the state of the scene currently. Are there still hardcore events? Is there even still a following? Questions I?d hope you?d help me answer...

For context: I left the hardcore scene in 2008 to pursue other ventures. I?ve been successful in those other ventures, but no matter what I think about next - it always brings me back to hardcore. This isn't about making money (never was), and would purely because of love/ passion, because hardcore is in me, it?s part of me, and will always be part of me!

Thanks!
Rory (Impact)

I remember your name, which is impressive considering I don't follow UK Hardcore much. But from an old skool head like me i'll answer your questions.

1. Is there still a market? - Probably, I see new releases often so someone is buying it
2. What is hardcore in 2020? - Ask our mainland European friends, that's what hardcore is. UK Hardcore is a dead genre being flogged by a diehard selection of people desperate to keep it going, but to the majority of other people, its a joke scene now

3. What would you like Hardcore to be/ sound like? (most important) I genuinely cannot answer that as no matter how many times people have tried, you cannot polish a turd. UK Hardcore or whatever form it takes is a tired style of music. But going back to the roots wouldn't help either as that's equally as tired. No one here can answer that and be right.

4. Would you welcome a comeback? I would never criticise anyone for producing and doing what they like, you obviously had some success back in the early noughties.

So what ever you decide to do, good luck with it, but for me, apart from 1 track in 1000 (Al Storm and Euphony's - Like it like that) the rest just continue to flog that dead horse.

DJ Bounce

United Kingdom
344 posts
DJ Bounce is verified hardcore artist DJ Bounce has attended 5 events
Posted - 2020/04/25 :  09:48:36  Show profile View artist profile  Send a private message  Visit DJ Bounce's homepage
Yes mate come back! And send me some of your old stuff that I've lost too haha.

There's not really a market but hardcore definitely needs a boot up the arse and you were on top of your game before you left.

Smoogie
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
6,480 posts
Posted - 2020/04/25 :  11:10:28  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Smoogie's homepage
Welcome back! I remember you from when you was here before!

As for Hardcore in 2020 that is a good question and the same one asked for the past few years but it is quiet over the past decade now.

I am actually following the UK Hard House scene these days and there is some proper raw tunage coming out at only 150BPM. Hardcore has a long way to go if it wants to reach the level that it had in the past or what Hard House has now but there are still people producing and a few revival scenes going on but it has been quite a few years since anyone embraced the scene like they used to

Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,511 posts
Posted - 2020/04/25 :  14:39:35  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Guest's homepage
there is no market for uk hardcore, i killed it year's ago and it will never return

https://www.skiddle.com/whats-on/popular-events.php?g=18

the mainstream way, nothing else, nobody care's about nothing else

Edited by - Guest on 2020/04/25 14:40:12
Impulse_Response
Advanced Member

United States
724 posts
Impulse_Response has attended 1 event
Posted - 2020/04/25 :  16:28:14  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Impulse_Response's homepage
1. No idea. There's no scene where I live.
2. Sorting through heaps of garbage to find a track I like enough to buy.
3. 2001-2005
4. Yes! I also wouldn't mind digital releases of the old stuff if possible, because it costs a lot to ship records over from the UK.

Edited by - Impulse_Response on 2020/04/25 16:29:11
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,511 posts
Posted - 2020/04/26 :  11:18:09  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Guest's homepage
you can work it out with these

https://www.4kdownload.com/ buy them from https://www.hardtunes.com/ when your done

Edited by - Guest on 2020/04/26 11:20:12
Elys1um

Finland
39 posts
Posted - 2020/04/26 :  16:00:10  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Elys1um's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Impact:

Thanks!
Rory (Impact)

I'll answer the most important question first, numbers 3 &4:

This sound was and is the apotheosis of Happy Hardcore to me, anything in this vein would be amazing, so would love to have you back!!
https://www.discogs.com/Various-Xclusive-Happy-Hardcore/release/1253542
This is one of my favorite albums of all time out of any genre.

I think the market for UKHC is small, but these things go in cycles, so I believe it can grow again, any support from producers like you is nessecary for this ofc. During 2010s UKHC developed in the direction of Powerstomp and I guess what Darren Styles is doing right now (Reverse Bass stuff at 160 BPM, faster than Hardstyle but slower than UKHC). Only preference I have to state as a fan of classic HHC/UKHC/Freeform, that "EDM-y" riffs and melodies is a electronic music trend of the 2010s that I absolutely abhor. Dumbing down and killing the euphoria and uplifting energy of (supersaw) melodies is something I don't want to hear in "modernized" UKHC. While he's Dutch Hardcore/Gabber, Re-Style (and Sefa!) are putting out some great melodies right now in the hardcore scene.

Out of modern tunes I've heard, I think this captures the feel of classic HHC the best while evolving the sound in a new direction.

Mickey Init
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
764 posts
Mickey Init has attended 3 events
Posted - 2020/04/26 :  19:43:38  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Mickey Init's homepage
Would be great if you could put some new stuff out as well as re-release Infexious Audio.
One idea might be to team up with Hardcore Underground to make it happen. That way we could perhaps get a Fracus & Darwin remix of Someday.

Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,511 posts
Posted - 2020/04/26 :  19:47:14  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Guest's homepage
dutch hardcore/gabba is just called hardcore if you goto any hardstyle event's in the uk or anywhere else in the world, while uk hardcore event's are meaningless, and aren't part of the bigger picture when it comes to hardcore

Edited by - Guest on 2020/04/26 19:48:03
Samination
Advanced Member

Sweden
13,073 posts

195 hardcore releases
Samination has attended 17 events
Posted - 2020/04/26 :  20:48:03  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Samination's homepage
some Impact freeform from before you left would be nice :)

Also, don't listen to Guest. He's just a loony from USH

http://samination.se/
---------------------------------------------

NaVi
Starting Member

United States
1 post
Posted - 2020/04/27 :  04:52:38  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit NaVi's homepage
Just signed up to say that the mix you posted here before you retired was an all time favorite of mine. I stopped paying much attention to hardcore after 2010 or so but I'd still play that every once in a while.

Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,511 posts
Posted - 2020/04/27 :  07:42:34  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Guest's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Samination:
some Impact freeform from before you left would be nice :)

Also, don't listen to Guest. He's just a loony from USH

its all you that are loons and living in the dark age, most people who used to post on here make hardstyle, it has alot more events in the uk, and be why darren styles started doing hardstyle

the same as alot of people still play on kniteforce.fm or whatever

Edited by - Guest on 2020/04/27 07:44:03

New PostPost Reply
Topic is 8 pages long: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8
 Printer friendly
  Verified artist
   Donating member How to donate

It took 1.86 ninja's to process this page!

HappyHardcore.com

1999 - 2024 HappyHardcore.com
audio: PRS for music. Build: 3.1.73.1

Go to top of page