Lost password
 Remember my login 
 All forums
 Music discussion - hardcore
 Where did Dougal go?
 Printer friendly
Page: 
of 2

All users can post new topics in this forum. All users can reply to topics in this forum

Author Thread  
warped_candykid
Advanced Member

United States
3,934 posts
warped_candykid has attended 5 events
Posted - 2020/09/19 :  22:13:24  Show profile Send a private message
So have the Dougal & Gammer days come and gone? And what is Dougal now?

Alert moderator
The drunken scotsman
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,486 posts
Posted - 2020/09/20 :  07:48:49  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit The drunken scotsman's homepage
This interview from a few weeks ago gives a bit of insight to what hes up to at the moment, nearer the end of the article - https://www.internationaldjmag.com/dj-dougal.html

As for him and Gammer, I thought Gammer had finally ****ed off and no longer makes Hardcore?

Alert moderator Go to top of page
Captain Triceps
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
2,184 posts
Posted - 2020/09/20 :  08:10:52  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Captain Triceps's homepage
Dougal DJ'ed with Gammer relatively recently in Las Vegas didn't he, as support or something, in the last year or two I think? It seemed at the time like something of a 'blast from the past', a "look, it's me old mate Dougal!" sort of thing.
The "Dougal & Gammer" days are well over, for better or worse. Worse for the scene for sure but I doubt Gammer would change what he is doing and return to uk hardcore. I remember on his Reddit AMA he said his favourite style was 1994-era breakbeat happy hardcore - it would be fantastic if he made some of that stuff.
Dougal did this remix recently too:

I am well up for more of this style from him.

https://soundcloud.com/paulbradley1982

Samination
Advanced Member

Sweden
13,072 posts

195 hardcore releases
Samination has attended 17 events
Posted - 2020/09/20 :  11:36:50  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Samination's homepage

http://samination.se/
---------------------------------------------

Edited by - Samination on 2020/09/20 11:37:07
LeVzi
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
944 posts
Posted - 2020/09/23 :  05:00:18  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit LeVzi's homepage
I'll give Dougal credit where it's due, he's stood the test of time, he's been around for so long, he's done some amazing tracks, always with someone, but going back to the likes of Feeling Free with Vibes, Its not over with seduction, to the stuff he was doing with Gammer in the mid noughties. He's transcended 3 decades of hardcore going into his 4th.

I haven't always liked him as a DJ, was a bit of an anthem basher and played slower than most. And when you in a place like Kinetic, that aint a popular move. But none the less, he's part of the roots of HHC.

Captain Triceps
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
2,184 posts
Posted - 2020/09/23 :  07:43:14  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Captain Triceps's homepage
Yeah, the cheese I could tolerate but playing the tunes at 0% pitch or less was a real energy killer, especially if you'd just listened to someone like Brisk.

https://soundcloud.com/paulbradley1982

Audio X
Advanced Member

United States
670 posts

13 hardcore releases
Audio X is verified hardcore artist Audio X has attended 2 events
Posted - 2020/09/23 :  13:42:02  Show profile View artist profile  Send a private message  Visit Audio X's homepage
I saw him in Toronto last year. He's still kicking.

Samination
Advanced Member

Sweden
13,072 posts

195 hardcore releases
Samination has attended 17 events
Posted - 2020/09/24 :  14:01:14  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Samination's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Captain Triceps:
Yeah, the cheese I could tolerate but playing the tunes at 0% pitch or less was a real energy killer, especially if you'd just listened to someone like Brisk.

How often is Dougal used a "calm downer" after Brisk set? :D

http://samination.se/
---------------------------------------------

trippnface
Advanced Member

United States
1,654 posts
trippnface has attended 21 events
Posted - 2020/09/24 :  23:34:39  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit trippnface's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Samination:
quote:
Originally posted by Captain Triceps:

How often is Dougal used a "calm downer" after Brisk set? :D

lol

LeVzi
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
944 posts
Posted - 2020/09/25 :  05:00:13  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit LeVzi's homepage
He used to kill the place when at Kinetic. As everyone played faster there. Then him or someone similar (There were a few that wouldn't touch that pitch) would play happy hardcore at normal speed. And it felt like a house set.

But then someone like Mikey B or Brisk would get on the decks and all hell would break loose. Intentional ? Maybe, but he was the same at Dreamscape or Skelter too. Anthem bashing and slower. Which didn't do him any favours. but he's still going strong , written plenty ( or co written at least) some proper good stuff. And he's not one of the DJ's who ever turned on the scene or ignored it, he kept true. Can't fault him for that.

Gazza1712

United Kingdom
252 posts
Posted - 2020/09/28 :  21:54:57  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Gazza1712's homepage
In that interview he mentions about himself scratching and that is how he got his break a club promoter heard him scratch and booked him,
Has anyone ever heard Dougal scratch In any live sets? I?ve never heard him scratch and when he played back 2 back with Gammer it was always Gammer doing the scratching

LeVzi
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
944 posts
Posted - 2020/09/29 :  03:32:36  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit LeVzi's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Gazza1712:
In that interview he mentions about himself scratching and that is how he got his break a club promoter heard him scratch and booked him,
Has anyone ever heard Dougal scratch In any live sets? I?ve never heard him scratch and when he played back 2 back with Gammer it was always Gammer doing the scratching

Never heard Dougal scratch once in all the years I've listened to him.

2rgj
Starting Member

United Kingdom
3 posts
Posted - 2020/10/10 :  08:23:23  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit 2rgj's homepage
He'd struggle to scratch his own gonads let alone vinyl. He was the worst mixer ever. Absolutely shocking DJ

LeVzi
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
944 posts
Posted - 2020/10/12 :  05:54:32  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit LeVzi's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by 2rgj:
He'd struggle to scratch his own gonads let alone vinyl. He was the worst mixer ever. Absolutely shocking DJ

He wasn't that bad... There were others worse.

Mickey Init
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
764 posts
Mickey Init has attended 3 events
Posted - 2020/10/12 :  07:47:59  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Mickey Init's homepage
Believe me, there were far worse out there...

Anyway, is the 25 years of Dougal album unmixed?

Edited by - Mickey Init on 2020/10/12 13:11:41
The drunken scotsman
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,486 posts
Posted - 2020/10/12 :  07:55:29  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit The drunken scotsman's homepage
Not sure how Dougal could ever be classed as a crap DJ from anyone who has been into hardcore at any point over the last 20+ years. His mixing is always pretty consistent if a little bland.

New PostPost Reply
Topic is 2 pages long: 1  2
 Printer friendly
  Verified artist
   Donating member How to donate

It took 1.7 ninja's to process this page!

HappyHardcore.com

1999 - 2024 HappyHardcore.com
audio: PRS for music. Build: 3.1.73.1

Go to top of page