Printer friendly
Page: 
of 2

Author Thread  
rafferty
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
621 posts
Posted - 2021/08/29 :  03:23:05  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit rafferty's homepage  Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by LeVzi:
Scott Brown always was overlooked unless there was something else behind it, I never saw him play lower than Kinetic. I don't ever recall seeing his name on a flyer for a Dreamscape, Skelter, Fusion, United Dance etc.

Scott was an innovator of hardcore, like Slipmatt, Scott really pushed through the bouncy techno sound from back in the Q Tex days, he went under the name the scotsman , he's been everywhere and done everything.

Scott has to be spoken in the same light as slipmatt.

As far as Gammer goes , he comes across as a spoilt little kid tbh, really pathetic individual. I really couldn't care less about a thing he says or does.

Didn't Eurption AND Seduction run united dance ? I am pretty sure it was Chris and John tbh, and then Seduction went onto do Hardcore Heaven.

The history of hardcore is well known, a good read probably for younger people coming into the scene. Where the scene goes is down to the people in the scene now, good luck with it.

I think your right about Seduction being involved with United Dance originally.

Yeah being from the South I didn't hear much of Scott Brown till the later years. Probably when Hardcore Heaven started. Was more Happy Breakbeat from guys like Vinylgroover, Dougal, Seduction, Ramos, Supreme & Slipmatt here.. Guys like Marc Smith & Scott Brown were doing all the much harder and faster stuff up North.

Candy & anime was just a faze & a total embarrassment that everyone mocks and laughs at now.

Alert moderator Go to top of page
Anon.
Average Member

United Kingdom
169 posts
Posted - 2021/08/29 :  10:49:08  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Anon.'s homepage  Reply with quote
Scott Brown was featured on the program Scotland the rave the other day, good to see he was acknowledged

LeVzi
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
944 posts
Posted - 2021/09/02 :  07:02:16  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit LeVzi's homepage  Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by rafferty:
quote:
Scott Brown always was overlooked unless there was something else behind it, I never saw him play lower than Kinetic. I don't ever recall seeing his name on a flyer for a Dreamscape, Skelter, Fusion, United Dance etc.

Scott was an innovator of hardcore, like Slipmatt, Scott really pushed through the bouncy techno sound from back in the Q Tex days, he went under the name the scotsman , he's been everywhere and done everything.

As far as Gammer goes , he comes across as a spoilt little kid tbh, really pathetic individual. I really couldn't care less about a thing he says or does.

Didn't Eurption AND Seduction run united dance ? I am pretty sure it was Chris and John tbh, and then Seduction went onto do Hardcore Heaven.

The history of hardcore is well known, a good read probably for younger people coming into the scene. Where the scene goes is down to the people in the scene now, good luck with it.

Yeah being from the South I didn't hear much of Scott Brown till the later years. Probably when Hardcore Heaven started. Was more Happy Breakbeat from guys like Vinylgroover, Dougal, Seduction, Ramos, Supreme & Slipmatt here.. Guys like Marc Smith & Scott Brown were doing all the much harder and faster stuff up North.

I sometimes doubt my own memories as the 90s was a big of a mess lol

But yes Seduction and Eruption ran United Dance, then Seduction went alone with Hardcore Heaven, as that was the 1st even to completely cut out jungle, which at the time I agreed with ,but in hindsight, I don't now.

Jungle , for me, was an essential part of the vibe in the raves. Yes you had the die hards who'd shift from room to room when various changes in the music occured, but then you had a big amount of people like me who simply couldnt be arsed and just went nuts to jungle.

rafferty
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
621 posts
Posted - 2021/09/03 :  03:18:15  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit rafferty's homepage  Reply with quote
quote:
quote:
quote:

But yes Seduction and Eruption ran United Dance, then Seduction went alone with Hardcore Heaven, as that was the 1st even to completely cut out jungle, which at the time I agreed with ,but in hindsight, I don't now.

Jungle , for me, was an essential part of the vibe in the raves. Yes you had the die hards who'd shift from room to room when various changes in the music occured, but then you had a big amount of people like me who simply couldnt be arsed and just went nuts to jungle.

Yeah those days are like a lifetime ago now. I can't say I ever got into the Jungle thing. Never felt very welcome amongst their crowd with my girlfriend at the time & I both being blonde and white. They would look at us like wtf are you lot here lol.
The Hardcore Techno room was Hectic though with Scorpio, often would go there there instead.

Candy & anime was just a faze & a total embarrassment that everyone mocks and laughs at now.

Edited by - rafferty on 2021/09/03 03:21:43
LeVzi
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
944 posts
Posted - 2021/09/03 :  06:25:14  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit LeVzi's homepage  Reply with quote
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Yeah those days are like a lifetime ago now. I can't say I ever got into the Jungle thing. Never felt very welcome amongst their crowd with my girlfriend at the time & I both being blonde and white. They would look at us like wtf are you lot here lol.
The Hardcore Techno room was Hectic though with Scorpio, often would go there there instead.

Thats wierd as I never got the black / white vibe ever during jungle times. Was always mixed and a right laugh anywhere I went.

I used to spend whole nights in the technodrome if it was that banging. I'd come out when the trance was on, that used to bore the crap outta me.

rafferty
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
621 posts
Posted - 2021/09/04 :  04:56:58  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit rafferty's homepage  Reply with quote
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Thats wierd as I never got the black / white vibe ever during jungle times. Was always mixed and a right laugh anywhere I went.

I used to spend whole nights in the technodrome if it was that banging. I'd come out when the trance was on, that used to bore the crap outta me.

Yeah your right most were cool, but you would get the occasional gangster type that looked like he wanted an excuse to kill someone. Saying that the Hardcore crowd had it's fair share of seedy characters too.

Haha Trance bore the shit out of me too. Was like the high wore off when they played that slow proggy shit like Tiesto or Sasha.

Edited by - rafferty on 2021/09/04 04:58:50
LeVzi
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
944 posts
Posted - 2021/09/04 :  07:29:35  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit LeVzi's homepage  Reply with quote
As much as I respect Dave Angel for his work, it just killed my mood at the night. I'd move out of the Techno room to the other arenas and just keep buzzing and I liked going into the jungle arenas too, different vibe but a wicked kinda buzz

But tbh id be so fked after a HMS set the rest of the night was just survival for me lolol HMS was what made the night perfect.

Icewind

Canada
116 posts
Posted - 2021/09/07 :  03:59:30  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Icewind's homepage  Reply with quote
I read that article too, it's a pretty good summarization of the whole scene, but obviously missing a lot. I don't think they could cover everything.

Hardcore has lost steam, it's in a slump. I don't believe hardstyle or trying to take from other genres is the way forward. Hardcore already has it's own unique sound. There will be advancements in the technology used to make electronic music (synths, etc), and that will help push it forward too. Covid isn't helping the broader rave scene either.

Samination
Advanced Member

Sweden
13,073 posts

195 hardcore releases
Samination has attended 17 events
Posted - 2021/09/07 :  15:36:59  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Samination's homepage  Reply with quote
You're about the only two who don't like the "trancier" era of Hardcore.

http://samination.se/
---------------------------------------------

LeVzi
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
944 posts
Posted - 2021/09/08 :  07:45:30  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit LeVzi's homepage  Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by Samination:
You're about the only two who don't like the "trancier" era of Hardcore.

No, we are not. I don't know why people are so defensive over this freeform / trancecore era. Maybe because it was the minority and always will be. HHC and UK Hardcore will always be the bigger scenes, the DJ's played it more and the other stuff was always room 2.

Samination
Advanced Member

Sweden
13,073 posts

195 hardcore releases
Samination has attended 17 events
Posted - 2021/09/08 :  08:59:40  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Samination's homepage  Reply with quote
I have no experience of how raves where in the UK at that point, but on the internet and on here (especially during 2004-2015), most of who talked here did not dunk on it.

http://samination.se/
---------------------------------------------

LeVzi
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
944 posts
Posted - 2021/09/09 :  06:05:28  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit LeVzi's homepage  Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by Samination:
I have no experience of how raves where in the UK at that point, but on the internet and on here (especially during 2004-2015), most of who talked here did not dunk on it.

I am talking pre 2000 , in the actual raves, not "on the internet"

New PostPost Reply
Topic is 2 pages long: 1  2
 Printer friendly
  Verified artist
   Donating member How to donate

It took 2.34 ninja's to process this page!

HappyHardcore.com

1999 - 2024 HappyHardcore.com
audio: PRS for music. Build: 3.1.73.1

Go to top of page