Email Us!
Username: Password:

Lost password
 Remember my login 

All forums
 Music discussion - hardcore
 Jon Doe appreciation thread
 Printer friendly

All users can post new topics in this forum. All users can reply to topics in this forum

Author Thread  
Smoogie
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
6,480 posts
Posted - 2022/08/29 :  11:56:53  Show profile Send a private message  Visit Smoogie's homepage
We might know him as CLSM and others might know him by even other names but this is one artist whose name has cropped up time and time again on a tracklist who actually knew how to make music and actually push boundaries that most did not know existed.

He was also one of few who could cross over different styles where many simply failed.

Jon Doe - D5B (Original Mix)

2001 with a slice of 1991? This was more of a retro feel at the time but with that kick that might sound familiar. Slight use of breakbeat here as well Actually appears on 'Hard House Anthems' from 2001 and was a contrast to most other tracks featured:

Jon Doe - D4B

More Acid sounding. Was quite the flavour from some of the underground at the time but not quite as Hardcore centric

Jon Doe - DB3

A rather raspy hoover here. Keeping things underground sounding. This one, like the above was famously played by Lisa Lashes on her Hard House Essentials mix on Radio One in 2000

Jon Doe feat. M Experience - Rock Your Body

This one was for the Trance lovers. Nice hands up and uplifting. Worth to add that in 2011 there was an awesome remake by Kevin Byrne.

Jon Doe - Warehouse

Some might know the CubeHard remix of this which was awesome. This is the original which is slower but the early 2000s rushing bassline is a nod to the CLSM trademark.

CLSM - Sound of the Future

Now getting a bit more Hardcore and this featured on Bonkers 10 we have perhaps one of the most purest of all CLSM releases. It is in theory a sped up version of the Hard House/ Hard Trance combo and designed the fit the growing Freeform sound. That whole kick sound as the main riff kicks in is epic. In addition we have some juicy trance stabs and the dreamy vocals. Pure gold!

CLSM - John Peel Is Not Enough

As John Peel was shy of playing Hardcore CLSM came out with us to let us know of something a bit faster. Includes more dreamy vocals. This would be seen as a classic today. Also made it to Bonkers 11

CLSM - Transmission To Mars (Original Mix)

F*cking Hard! Thats all I can say about this beast. Features on Bonkers 12

CLSM - Transmission To Mars (Original Mix)

Oh you want a breakbeat version? Ok, well this is just pure filth!

Any more belters from one of the underground's most daring producers that you want to share?

Alert moderator
possys2

United Kingdom
256 posts
Posted - 2022/08/29 :  21:54:25  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit possys2's homepage

Alert moderator Go to top of page
PecheyTheLizard
Average Member

United States
172 posts
Posted - 2022/08/29 :  22:41:53  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit PecheyTheLizard's homepage
Grabbed his USB Drive the other month and damn I'm glad I did. So much great music! Especially his tunes with Billy Bunter.

Smoogie
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
6,480 posts
Posted - 2022/08/30 :  09:37:54  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Smoogie's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by PecheyTheLizard:
Grabbed his USB Drive the other month and damn I'm glad I did. So much great music! Especially his tunes with Billy Bunter.

He got on Bonkers 9 with the Bunter!

Samination
Advanced Member

Sweden
13,073 posts

195 hardcore releases
Samination has attended 17 events
Posted - 2022/08/30 :  11:23:55  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Samination's homepage
Definitely not appreciated when he (and Kevin Energy) tried to push the Hardscape as the defacto way Freeform should've gone.

http://samination.se/
---------------------------------------------

Luz1978

United Kingdom
57 posts
Posted - 2022/08/30 :  22:23:05  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Luz1978's homepage
quote:

Missed this, any info you can share?

silver
Admin

Japan
12,548 posts

894 hardcore releases
silver is verified hardcore artist silver is a site donation subscriber silver has attended 108 events
Posted - 2022/08/30 :  23:57:50  Show profile View artist profile  Send a private message  Visit silver's homepage
I really liked the music on his g-core label

Samination
Advanced Member

Sweden
13,073 posts

195 hardcore releases
Samination has attended 17 events
Posted - 2022/08/31 :  02:54:15  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Samination's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Luz1978:
quote:

Missed this, any info you can share?

most, if not all of those were just Hard Trance or Hard House though, and not hardcore though. Unless you count that Jon Doe has mastered a bunch of BDB's tracks.

http://samination.se/
---------------------------------------------

possys2

United Kingdom
256 posts
Posted - 2022/08/31 :  17:10:25  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit possys2's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by silver:
I really liked the music on his g-core label

yeah man, hardstyle on the 1st release, great track 2003.. those were the days

Mickey Init
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
764 posts
Mickey Init has attended 3 events
Posted - 2022/08/31 :  22:16:10  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Mickey Init's homepage
"Timebomb" - 'nuff said init

silver
Admin

Japan
12,548 posts

894 hardcore releases
silver is verified hardcore artist silver is a site donation subscriber silver has attended 108 events
Posted - 2022/09/01 :  00:53:16  Show profile View artist profile  Send a private message  Visit silver's homepage
I remember ringing Nukleuz to get a comment for a news story, they didn't even know about it at the time :)

Compulsion

United States
253 posts
Compulsion is verified hardcore artist Compulsion has attended 4 events
Posted - 2022/12/03 :  21:43:20  Show profile View artist profile  Send a private message  Visit Compulsion's homepage
https://youtu.be/BxLLRd1P5FY

yes.

Edited by - Compulsion on 2022/12/03 21:45:12
Brainchild
Average Member

United Kingdom
193 posts
Posted - 2022/12/04 :  14:44:55  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Brainchild's homepage
I bought a few of his tracks from the 90s via the g-core label though it?s a shame he never put up BNH vol 3 - the one featured on Bonkers 7. But his sound has always been distinctive in the scene.

Gazza1712

United Kingdom
252 posts
Posted - 2022/12/04 :  17:40:22  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Gazza1712's homepage
His best 2 pieces of hardcore are timebomb and braveheart, dj frantic I think gets credited with it because it was on his label but Jon made that with him.

Warnman
Advanced Member

Germany
2,676 posts
Warnman has attended 2 events
Posted - 2023/06/05 :  02:11:02  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Warnman's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Samination:
Definitely not appreciated when he (and Kevin Energy) tried to push the Hardscape as the defacto way Freeform should've gone.

To my opinion I have appreciated the way how Jon Doe/CLSM kind of tried to develop this music back then, when barely anyone listened to Freeform Hardcore. At least there were some people, who tried to do something different.
Today, I still listen to DJ Cotts Hardscape Mix once in a while.

"Happy Hardcore: Love it... hate it... it's fun!" (Matt Stokes)

New PostPost Reply
 Printer friendly
  Verified artist
   Donating member How to donate

It took 1.66 ninja's to process this page!

HappyHardcore.com

1999 - 2024 HappyHardcore.com
audio: PRS for music. Build: 3.1.73.1

Go to top of page