Email Us!
Username: Password:

Lost password
 Remember my login 

All forums
 Music production & Gear talk
 practicing mixing
 Printer friendly

All users can post new topics in this forum. All users can reply to topics in this forum

Author Thread  
wicky vicky
Banned

United States
55 posts
Posted - 2001/09/04 :  02:49:08  Show profile Send a private message  Visit wicky vicky's homepage
when you djs practice do you listen to the whole song and then mix? i just skip to the part i want to mix with the other tune and then do that over and over agian. is this a good way to learn?

"play nothing but hardcore"

Alert moderator
silver
Admin

Japan
12,548 posts

894 hardcore releases
silver is verified hardcore artist silver is a site donation subscriber silver has attended 108 events
Posted - 2001/09/04 :  04:05:23  Show profile View artist profile  Send a private message  Visit silver's homepage
get two of the same records move them off 0 pitch and attempt to mix them until you get it correct.

Second get two different records produced by the same artist (it's easier)... start with a non vocal tune (it's easier) and mix that until you get it correct....

repeat with different tunes and combinations until you can handle anything.

Let the track play, don't skip around, part of DJing is knowing your tunes, where the breaks and drums are.

Alert moderator Go to top of page
DJ Mouse
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
2,687 posts
DJ Mouse has attended 1 event
Posted - 2001/09/04 :  11:04:42  Show profile  Send a private message
and you don't want to skip to the bit where you mix,spend the time while the songs playing getting the pitch slider exactly where it should be

djm
it's like a dream,no end and no beginning...

SorceryKid

United States
32 posts
Posted - 2001/09/04 :  20:43:05  Show profile  Send a private message
quote:
Originally posted by wicky vicky:
when you djs practice do you listen to the whole song and then mix?

It depends. When I'm practicing just pure and simple beatmatching, then typically yes. However, the other important aspect of mixing is progression. While two songs may mix together perfectly (as far as tempo and key), that doesn't necessarily mean they fit together thematically. The goal of a DJ is to create a seamless flow of energy in the music; that includes the composition as a whole and not just the transitions.

Songs, to a DJ, are in essence like words to a poet.

quote:
i just skip to the part i want to mix with the other tune and then do that over and over agian. is this a good way to learn?

Don't think that the end of a song is the only place to do a good mix mix. A lot of times I'll fade in a portion of the upcoming song during a break in the middle the first song.

--DJ SorceryKid

wicky vicky
Banned

United States
55 posts
Posted - 2001/09/04 :  22:22:46  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit wicky vicky's homepage
thanks that helped a lot

"play nothing but hardcore"

always log out

Lusive
Average Member

Australia
151 posts
Posted - 2001/09/06 :  02:02:32  Show profile  Send a private message
record your mixes and listen to them the next day.. see what you can improve. Also, give them to a good friend who you can stand to take constructive criticism from.

and as sorcerykid said above, although maybe not when you are first starting out, you dont neccesarily have to mix at the end of the track. Its easier to do that but it makes a set more interesting if people find unexpected things in it.. and mixing after the last breakdown/buildup, as the track is ending, is predictable.

--------¡
Open your eyes, see all the love in me, I got enough for ever.
Dont be afraid, take all you need from me, and we'll be strong together...

SorceryKid

United States
32 posts
Posted - 2001/09/10 :  02:48:18  Show profile  Send a private message
I'll oftentimes practice a single transition over and over again. It's a great way to discover new and creative ways of mixing. Don't hesitate to experiment. When I first started out, I didn't have any guidelines or tutorials (other than a basic understanding of musical structure). I mostly listened to mixes that other DJs have produced (like Silver [;-)]) on a regular basis, and then tried to adapt those techniques to my own mixing. Practice, practice, practice... You can't go wrong.

--DJ SorceryKid

aznwasian

United States
428 posts
Posted - 2001/09/10 :  18:15:30  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit aznwasian's homepage
When I do a mix, and then listen to it I say... that was horrible... and then I improve...

¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸aZnWaSiAn¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯
-I can't stop raving...

MC RizlaDizla
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,056 posts
MC RizlaDizla is verified hardcore artist MC RizlaDizla has attended 20 events
Posted - 2001/09/13 :  07:12:10  Show profile View artist profile  Send a private message  Visit MC RizlaDizla's homepage
just remember the 4/4 beats. when its time for the next 16 to begin, whack the first beats of the next record on the other deck but just listen to it, dont cross yet. you will start to know what choon is ahead and can adjust it to match.

hope this helps

"Oh my goodness, Oh my Gosh. Here we go with a badboy rush".

New PostPost Reply
 Printer friendly
  Verified artist
   Donating member How to donate

It took 1.44 ninja's to process this page!

HappyHardcore.com

1999 - 2024 HappyHardcore.com
audio: PRS for music. Build: 3.1.73.1

Go to top of page