Email Us!
Username: Password:

Lost password
 Remember my login 

All forums
 Music production & Gear talk
 Thinking of becoming a DJ
 Printer friendly

All users can post new topics in this forum. All users can reply to topics in this forum

Author Thread  
xxxFRIARxxx

United States
68 posts
Posted - 2002/02/26 :  13:33:32  Show profile Send a private message
Hello, as of JUST LAST NIGHT I have decided that I would like to become the next HHC DJ in Minneapolis (as if there aren't enough. Wait...no there aren't)

Can anyone here please suggest some turntables and a mixer that would be adaquate for a beginner. No, I don't want to buy technics because of their hefty price tag. I was more looking for something under about 500-700 bucks, or is that too cheap?

See me climb as far as I can go. Looking down on people far below. I can try and seek my destiny. Take a magic carpet ride with me.

Alert moderator
DJ Mouse
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
2,687 posts
DJ Mouse has attended 1 event
Posted - 2002/02/26 :  13:43:01  Show profile  Send a private message
for decks i'd recommend some gemini's,either the xl500's or the pt series.
the xl500's come with a £300 price tag,dunno how much it is in dollars.
go for any mixer to start off with too,or at least one that does it's job. i wouldn't recommend a cheap secondhand mixer coz it wouldn't last very long.

--------------------------------------------------
DJ Mouse - "Winning a war doesn't determine who's right.... winning determines who's left"

Alert moderator Go to top of page
xxxFRIARxxx

United States
68 posts
Posted - 2002/02/26 :  13:50:15  Show profile  Send a private message
Are there any other important things I should know about DJing? Like should I get a direct drive or belt drive? Or any other technical stuff like that?

Every once in a while, I would like to scratch too...

Another question. Sorry, but I don't have any vinals:

Ok, I know there are 2 sides to a vinal, but on one vinal is there only 1 song per side? (Example, Scott Brown's "Turn up the Music".) Is that only 1 song, or an entire compilation?

Edited by - xxxFRIARxxx on 2002/02/26 13:54:38
Dj Tripnosis

Canada
418 posts
Dj Tripnosis has attended 1 event
Posted - 2002/02/26 :  13:57:34  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Dj Tripnosis's homepage
my personal opinion is , well, if you have the funds don't settle for anything less than Technics 1200 turtables, the'yre the standard in clubs and parties worldwide, better learn on them first. Mixer, as Mouse said, don't get a second hand piece of crap, i say look into Vestax or even Stanton, gemini make allright ones too.. As for Scratching, get your beat matching down first, scratching will come later

Cheers ! ( PS, work on an HHC library, the better songs you have the better your sets will be)

Get Stanton Scratchmaster 2 needles, theyre awsome for scrating and regular use :)

-Hi, My name is Auto and i looove to get Blotto !! -

-rejecting your reality and substituting my own

xxxFRIARxxx

United States
68 posts
Posted - 2002/02/26 :  14:02:43  Show profile  Send a private message
So, about how much money (In American Currency) should I spend on an entire starter set? (2 Turntables, a mixer, and X ammount of vinals)?

(how many vinals should I get for a good starting set?)

See me climb as far as I can go. Looking down on people far below. I can try and seek my destiny. Take a magic carpet ride with me.

DJ Mouse
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
2,687 posts
Posted - 2002/02/26 :  14:03:38  Show profile  Send a private message
the gemini's i said are direct drive. the advantage there is that when you do get round to buying technics you'll get more for the old ones.

but if you learn to mix on belt drives,it comes naturally to be able to mix on direct drives. it doesn't apply the other way round

DJ Mouse - "Winning a war doesn't determine who's right.... winning determines who's left"

DJ Mouse
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
2,687 posts
Posted - 2002/02/26 :  14:07:14  Show profile  Send a private message
as for vinyls,the more the merrier. get the decks and mixer first then get whatever you can on vinyl.i don't know much about £-$ conversion,but spend about £500 vinyl included and you'll have a good setup.
oh,and don't forget the amp and speakers too

Dj Tripnosis

Canada
418 posts
Dj Tripnosis has attended 1 event
Posted - 2002/02/26 :  14:10:39  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Dj Tripnosis's homepage
hmm, i'm not sure about US Dollars but Canadian Tech 1200's are about 700 a piece so it's not a cheap hobby to get into. they are also direct drive but Gemmini might be a better one to start with, you can always get tech 12's when you get better . as for vinyl's the more the merrier, first get your personel favs, then get some crowd pleasers and work from there

-Hi, My name is Auto and i looove to get Blotto !! -

-rejecting your reality and substituting my own

Lixx
Advanced Member

United States
1,338 posts

288 hardcore releases
Lixx has attended 1 event
Posted - 2002/02/26 :  14:59:30  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Lixx's homepage
I got my two Gemini PT-2100s with shure carts, a Gemini PS-626 Pro 2 mixer and shipping to cali for $700 even on 123dj.com. I think it's even cheaper now
-Lixx

xxxFRIARxxx

United States
68 posts
Posted - 2002/02/26 :  15:30:39  Show profile  Send a private message
or how bout something like:

Two Gemini SV-2200 direct drive Turntables
and
One Gemini PMX-60 mixer
for 400 american?

Think that would start me out well?

Edited by - xxxFRIARxxx on 2002/02/26 15:31:54
Lixx
Advanced Member

United States
1,338 posts

288 hardcore releases
Posted - 2002/02/26 :  15:42:21  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Lixx's homepage
Well the idea is that you want to get your money's worth. If you buy cheaper stuff that you end up growing out of very quickly, then that's all that money down the drain. I love my setup and maybe I'll upgrade the mixer eventually but I can do everything I want with it and don't really have any genuine reason to require an upgrade. It really does pay to splurge just a bit so that you don't end up with useless junk after just a few months.
-Lixx

milo
Advanced Member

Canada
3,391 posts

347 hardcore releases
milo is verified hardcore artist milo has attended 89 events
Posted - 2002/02/26 :  15:51:57  Show profile View artist profile  Send a private message  Visit milo's homepage
US i put in about 1000 to start, i had about 10 or 15 records to practice beat matching and slowly explored more and ended on the hardcore. a decent set up to start will be around 700 US i think plus money for tax and shipping and that junk. Regaurdless vinyl will be the most expensive thing. I don't even want to know how much i've spent in records. good US sites to get equipment from are 123dj.com and djbargains.com pssl.com is good as well and match prices, the poeple who work at 123dj are pricks and i refuse to order from them, but they ave excellant pricing if you find someone to match it go there.

"It's all good..."

Lixx
Advanced Member

United States
1,338 posts

288 hardcore releases
Posted - 2002/02/26 :  16:01:17  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Lixx's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by ise:
the poeple who work at 123dj are pricks and i refuse to order from them, but they ave excellant pricing if you find someone to match it go there.

Yeah if you call them ask to talk to Neil. He's the head guy there and he won't BS you around like some of the other guys. Definitely try and find the best deal you can around the net and then have em match it because they're in Chicago so shipping would be much cheaper for you.
-Lixx

SINIZTA
Average Member

United States
206 posts
Posted - 2002/02/26 :  19:17:41  Show profile  Send a private message
man, u guyz spitting sum valuble n4 there!thanx, i even got sum knowledge!
and az far az Scott Brown's "Turn up the Music", yes that iz 1 song, but i'am
sure there's another choon on the other side!but there r sum vinly's that have more than 1 song on each side!

{S|N|ZTA SMYPNOT|X and FRENET|X}

xxxFRIARxxx

United States
68 posts
Posted - 2002/02/26 :  20:04:12  Show profile  Send a private message
Thanks much for your help. Hopefully, within the next year and a half, you'll see on www.mnvibe.com "Coming to the quest this Saturday, DJ Friar" (That's my name. =P )

Thanks a bunch

-Friar

bowzer
Average Member

Canada
210 posts

153 hardcore releases
Posted - 2002/02/26 :  20:30:42  Show profile  Send a private message
First off, its vinyl, not vinal :) Now that we've got that covered...
I started buying records even before I had turntables. Prices of equiptment go down, and are always around - but that rare record isn't something you'll likely see again for quite sometime. As for mixers, I've heard Gemini's crossfaders are junk from quite a few people. But I haven't personally used em so Im not 100% on that. Numark mixers are good and quite inexpensive, nice starter mixer. Get used to ordering from the USA and overseas, that's your only real options other than eBay for HHC records. Shipping costs can really suck :) Answers to some of your other questions; direct drive turntables are better, usually there are 2 songs on each record, an A and B side. But sometimes theres more than one track on each side, so A1, A2, etc... Besides turntables, mixer, headphones, and vinyl, you'll need good speakers and a reciever/amp. If your starting completely fresh, this will be quite pricey for everything. 10 records will cost you approx $100 USD.

New PostPost Reply
 Printer friendly
  Verified artist
   Donating member How to donate

It took 1.25 ninja's to process this page!

HappyHardcore.com

1999 - 2024 HappyHardcore.com
audio: PRS for music. Build: 3.1.73.1

Go to top of page