Email Us!
Username: Password:

Lost password
 Remember my login 

All forums
 Music production & Gear talk
 AMP + SPEAKERS
 Printer friendly

All users can post new topics in this forum. All users can reply to topics in this forum

Author Thread  
godisadj

Congo, Democractic Republic of the
113 posts

36 hardcore releases
Posted - 2002/05/10 :  08:04:49  Show profile Send a private message
I've got some gear in my bedroom and want to upgrade to a mobile unit, I shared one last year but I'd like something newer. I've got two cd players, a dd turntable, mixer, minidisc and a couple of lights (+ loads of cables!) If you know of an affordable amplifier + speaker combi please let me know. I was thinking of getting a four channel amp and placing two speakers in front of the unit and the other two at the rear of the hall, would this affect the sound?

"WE'VE ALL GOT A MISSION, WE GET INTO DIFFERENT RUTS, SOME ARE THE COGS ON THE WHEELS, OTHERS ARE PLAIN NUTS!"

Alert moderator
Soren

United States
499 posts
Posted - 2002/05/10 :  08:10:39  Show profile  Send a private message
First of all the most inportant part: What's your price range?

And setting up speakers on opposite ends will cause more reverb and if you aren't centered in the room you will get double sound imaging. However if it's a big hall with a lot of people the people will dampen the sound causing the sound waves from either end to disipate much faster and reducing all the bad reverb and imaging a lot. How big is the hall?

Alert moderator Go to top of page
godisadj

113 posts

36 hardcore releases
Posted - 2002/05/11 :  01:50:51  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit godisadj's homepage
First of all I can probably afford to spend £400, I know it's not much but the gear doesn't have to be the best. I was thinking about building my own speakers, I've done this before and I think it's a lot cheaper.
I'm not sure how big the hall is exactly (I'm rubbish at remembering stuff like that) but it can hold 300 - 450 nutters.
I think I know what your saying about double sound imaging, does this happen when all the speakers are at one end also, because sometimes there is an 'echo' when there aren't many in the hall.

"WE'VE ALL GOT A MISSION, WE GET INTO DIFFERENT RUTS, SOME ARE THE COGS ON THE WHEELS, OTHERS ARE PLAIN NUTS!"

Soren

United States
499 posts
Posted - 2002/05/12 :  08:10:26  Show profile  Send a private message
Hmmm... $600 isn't a whole lot if you want a decent sound system for 300-400 people...

I was probably gonna suggest getting a pair of Mackie 1400i's of Ebay and probably 4X JBL Pro 15's, but that would run around $1500 at least used. I really can't suggest a system that would be good for 400 ppls for under $1500-$2000, but I've never built my own speakers either, so that may be a good route. But I know decent amps run at least $600 a pair used for the minimum power you will need for a hall that can hold 400 people.

And you can get a lot of reverb and weird imaging in a room with speakers only on one side, but it will be cut down a lot over placing speakers in all 4 corners. Plus if the place fills up the people will soak up the sound waves and there should be virtually no reverb or extra sound waves floating around. Unless you have WAY to much speaker power and volume :)

DJ STYLUS
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,661 posts

21 hardcore releases
Posted - 2002/05/12 :  12:07:38  Show profile  Send a private message
HANGGGG ON PEOPLE!!!!

My stereo is a denon stack unit with HUGE eltax speakers I got it in a sale at £999 that is all you need!!! The speakers are only £399, so im sure that'll be fine!!

....In EveryThing You Do, Your Love Shines Through.

godisadj

113 posts

36 hardcore releases
Posted - 2002/05/12 :  12:51:09  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit godisadj's homepage
I don't think I'll have any trouble building speakers, I can get good eminence drivers at good prices, + a couple of my mates are joiners and can knock up a cabinet no bother at all. I've looked in loads of magazines and catalogues for amps, smart sound make powerful amplifiers for under £500 so maby I should think about sharing the unit again and spend more on lights etc.

DJ STYLUS
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,661 posts

21 hardcore releases
Posted - 2002/05/12 :  13:08:30  Show profile  Send a private message
I got some fkn sweet strobes and starburst laserz in my room, for my decks!!!!! =9

....In EveryThing You Do, Your Love Shines Through.

godisadj

113 posts

36 hardcore releases
Posted - 2002/05/13 :  05:01:52  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit godisadj's homepage
Strobes kick ass! They're good for house parties, I usually borrow my mates laser, It's huge but it's just a red laser, I've got GENI XTC lights aswell they're amazing with the fog machine(shame I managed to burn out the transformer in it!)

Soren

United States
499 posts
Posted - 2002/05/13 :  06:52:08  Show profile  Send a private message
Yeah, strobes are cool! Why take K when you can turn on a strobe and get plenty dizzy that way!!! LOL

Anyway, again if you are going to try and power a hall for ~400 people look into getting 4 15's or 2 15's and 2 subs at least as a minimum speaker setup (but the later will cost more). And check out running 2 Mackie 1400i's or 1 QSC RMX 2450, from all i've read (which is a lot lately) those 2 are the best price/performance Amps there are right now. With the 2 Mackies being better quality and a bit more power (600w a channel @ 8 ohms) and the QSC being better price and still very good quality (and 500w a channel) and just beating out the Crowns :)

And building your own speakers will save U $. If I needed speakers I would try and do the same thing probably, cept I failed wood work in high school so maybe I shouldn't... :)

Good luck!!!!

Edited by - Soren on 2002/05/13 06:55:57

New PostPost Reply
 Printer friendly
  Verified artist
   Donating member How to donate

It took 0.73 ninja's to process this page!

HappyHardcore.com

1999 - 2024 HappyHardcore.com
audio: PRS for music. Build: 3.1.73.1

Go to top of page