Printer friendly
Page: 
of 7

Author Thread  
Smoogie
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
6,480 posts
Posted - 2008/06/23 :  21:13:02  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Smoogie's homepage  Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by uncle Google:
the thing with hardcore now compared to the 90's is variety, bit of everything for everyone. in the 90's it was all samey, thats why it dipped towards 99! theres no chance in that again as hardcore is so varied now

I thought it was the other way around!

Alert moderator Go to top of page
CDJay
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
3,049 posts
Posted - 2008/06/23 :  21:26:02  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit CDJay's homepage  Reply with quote
edit: Was veering off topic.

Damn you, above posters, for baiting me.

CDJay

Edited by - CDJay on 2008/06/23 21:27:36
Underloop
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
3,895 posts

91 hardcore releases
Underloop has donated money to the site Underloop has attended 5 events
Posted - 2008/06/23 :  23:35:25  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Underloop's homepage  Reply with quote
Should have added "Well done Mr Styles" to my previous post - very rude of me, apologies!

Whatever people's opinions on here about the guy's music, you can't really argue with a no. 4 slot! He is now up there in chart history along with The Prodigy, The Smart Es and Shut Up and Dance. Fair play to the guy!

DJ-Intensity
Advanced Member

United States
1,903 posts
Posted - 2008/06/24 :  07:25:26  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit DJ-Intensity's homepage  Reply with quote
There is the odd tune I like he has produced on his own label.

Smoogie
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
6,480 posts
Posted - 2008/06/24 :  08:27:16  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Smoogie's homepage  Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by Underloop:
Should have added "Well done Mr Styles" to my previous post - very rude of me, apologies!

Whatever people's opinions on here about the guy's music, you can't really argue with a no. 4 slot! He is now up there in chart history along with The Prodigy, The Smart Es and Shut Up and Dance. Fair play to the guy!

There where alot of commercial acts in the 90s but only a few where big outside of the rave scene! Q-tex, Rythemic Sate, Altern-8 and dare I say it- Paul Elstak! All had some commercial stuff (as with most of Pengo records) but they were sometimes unsussesful. Typically, even the commercial stuff was better then that it was now!

As for number 4 slots I don't think many people in Hardcore have got that high so I supose a rouind of aplaws for Darren Styles!

Wilky
Banned

United Kingdom
6,198 posts
Posted - 2008/06/24 :  08:53:01  Show profile  Visit Wilky's homepage  Reply with quote
noone in hardcore has been anywhere near number 4 in the album charts!

compilation we've had a few number one's

http://giffgaff.com/orders/affiliate/wilky

This post was made by Spunk Licker
who is currently on your ignore list .
Display this post.

Ken Masters
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
3,447 posts
Posted - 2008/06/24 :  12:42:36  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Ken Masters's homepage  Reply with quote
Can we really say well done to Darren for getting to the top 4? I mean someone was comparing him to doing aswell as the Prodigy & Altern 8. Do you honestly think that Darren styles would have got a no 4 if he was making music in the height of the scene. NO WAY! He has never had the skills or the musical education to push a style of music forward. Act's, like are mentioned above, have done their part for the scene we have today. Without them we would have hardcore & Rave. He's jumped on the Commercial bandwagon & pretty much f**ked us all over! This is a very sad day for Hardcore & the scene because it show that a lot of our big names & top Men aren't even push hardcore forward any more. They're happy with a couple of hundered thousand young girls going out & buying a CD because they Fancy him!!! Is this a POP STAR or what. At least when all those great act's in the 90's were running the charts they never sold out & became Pop Stars they moved on with the scene & payed respects to the music that had made them what they are. I mean look at the prodigy now. They are the legends of the dance world & a force of nature but how many tracks have they released with Liam Howlett flying through the F**king air, SINGING. Sorry, no. That's to far. What a sell out c**t!!!

Wilky
Banned

United Kingdom
6,198 posts
Posted - 2008/06/24 :  13:09:22  Show profile  Visit Wilky's homepage  Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by djkenmasters:
Can we really say well done to Darren for getting to the top 4? I mean someone was comparing him to doing aswell as the Prodigy & Altern 8. Do you honestly think that Darren styles would have got a no 4 if he was making music in the height of the scene. NO WAY! He has never had the skills or the musical education to push a style of music forward. Act's, like are mentioned above, have done their part for the scene we have today. Without them we would have hardcore & Rave. He's jumped on the Commercial bandwagon & pretty much f**ked us all over! This is a very sad day for Hardcore & the scene because it show that a lot of our big names & top Men aren't even push hardcore forward any more. They're happy with a couple of hundered thousand young girls going out & buying a CD because they Fancy him!!! Is this a POP STAR or what. At least when all those great act's in the 90's were running the charts they never sold out & became Pop Stars they moved on with the scene & payed respects to the music that had made them what they are. I mean look at the prodigy now. They are the legends of the dance world & a force of nature but how many tracks have they released with Liam Howlett flying through the F**king air, SINGING. Sorry, no. That's to far. What a sell out c**t!!!

totally disagree

how can u say he's sellin out to the commercial world then u dont know much about him. his tunes have always been aimed at the commercial market, its just he's had the opportunity to make it reality over the last few years.

its great news for the scene. i just hope more hardcore artists push hardcore up the charts. i mean hardcore tho not remixed commercial.

Display this post.

Dain-Ja
Advanced Member

Canada
1,983 posts
Dain-Ja has attended 11 events
Posted - 2008/06/24 :  14:27:48  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Dain-Ja's homepage  Reply with quote
The fact that something is marketable and profitable (hence, commercial) doesn't render it bad.

Broad appeal is exactly what hardcore needs. The music and artists with mass appeal will attract listeners, and once they dwelve deeper into hardcore, they'll get into "less commercial" music.

Nothing wrong with that. In fact, it's the best thing that could happen.

Visit makemeRUSH.com for music from the ONLY North American hardcore label pressing vinyl!

FREE track every Monday: http://www.rushdeliveryrecords.com/?p=229

Wilky
Banned

United Kingdom
6,198 posts
Posted - 2008/06/24 :  14:43:30  Show profile  Visit Wilky's homepage  Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dain-Ja:
The fact that something is marketable and profitable (hence, commercial) doesn't render it bad.

Broad appeal is exactly what hardcore needs. The music and artists with mass appeal will attract listeners, and once they dwelve deeper into hardcore, they'll get into "less commercial" music.

my point exactly

Display this post.

phewcharyztik

United Kingdom
28 posts
Posted - 2008/06/24 :  17:13:18  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit phewcharyztik's homepage  Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by uncle Google:
quote:
Originally posted by Dain-Ja:

my point exactly

I agree. All the best scenes have stuff in the charts.
There's plenty of Rock in the charts, Electro, Rap, Bassline House, Drum & Bass (well, just Pendulum) etc and they all still have a massive underground scene too. Just because one or two tracks from a scene enter the charts doesn't mean the whole scene is now classed as commercial and it will crumble and fall apart. As said before, all this does is bring more interest and new fresh faces to the show, which has to be a good thing. And for the true hardcore, there will always be the more harder tracks, freeform etc to listen to at home or go raving to. Just because one thing goes commercial it doesn't convert every track in the scene to a big steaming slice of cheese.

djepi

United Kingdom
115 posts
Posted - 2008/06/24 :  17:49:35  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit djepi's homepage  Reply with quote
Prodgy - Ledgends but Liam hasn't made a hardcore records for 13, maybe 14 years.
Altern 8 - Same again.

Both ****ed off from the scene and as I said eairler, Mr Styles is still here - was making hardcore in 93 and still is to this day. Never mind a number 4 album, that speaks volumes.

Ken Masters
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
3,447 posts
Posted - 2008/06/24 :  18:31:16  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Ken Masters's homepage  Reply with quote
How about people who have never given any Hardcore genres a chance because they see this knobend floating through the sky singing. I mean come on to F**K. Hardcore is quickly becoming the laughing stock of, Dance music, in Britian. Mabey not around the world but in Britian. The rave scene here will never be the same again. Most of the commercial hardcore that comes out is f**kin kiddies music! There's nothing hard about it. I remember in high school, everyone was into hardcore. EVERYONE. what's happened? I remember getting tapes from my mates who's big bro's & cousins had gave them to listen too. These guy's were the shit. Really talented! It used to be a unity between the young and the old for the love of the music. Can you see anyone in there 30's actually giving Hardcore a chance these day's. It will never happen. A lot of these nu CD's are aimed at the youngsters because they know that the older generation ain't as f**king thick. Hardcore is underground & should have stayed Underground & the scene will suffer because stylesey want to make a bit more money. SAD

DJ-Intensity
Advanced Member

United States
1,903 posts
Posted - 2008/06/24 :  18:37:23  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit DJ-Intensity's homepage  Reply with quote
There is also the freeform as well.

Edited by - DJ-Intensity on 2008/06/24 18:38:12
jenks
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
3,682 posts

19 hardcore releases
jenks has attended 1 event
Posted - 2008/06/24 :  18:56:51  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit jenks's homepage  Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by djkenmasters:
How about people who have never given any Hardcore genres a chance because they see this knobend floating through the sky singing. I mean come on to F**K. Hardcore is quickly becoming the laughing stock of, Dance music, in Britian. Mabey not around the world but in Britian. The rave scene here will never be the same again. Most of the commercial hardcore that comes out is f**kin kiddies music! There's nothing hard about it. I remember in high school, everyone was into hardcore. EVERYONE. what's happened? I remember getting tapes from my mates who's big bro's & cousins had gave them to listen too. These guy's were the shit. Really talented! It used to be a unity between the young and the old for the love of the music. Can you see anyone in there 30's actually giving Hardcore a chance these day's. It will never happen. A lot of these nu CD's are aimed at the youngsters because they know that the older generation ain't as f**king thick. Hardcore is underground & should have stayed Underground & the scene will suffer because stylesey want to make a bit more money. SAD

Bollocks. All styles of hardcore are still out there if you're willing to look for them, the softer styles making money only has a knock on effect to the rest of the scene and it's all beneficial. The real reason people like you get pissed off is that the word hardcore now represents something slightly different to what you'd like it to, it's got nothing to do with hurting the scene, it's the equivalent of you spitting your dummy out because one side of hardcore has become more popular than your favourite, and you don't like it. Now that's sad.

New PostPost Reply
Topic is 7 pages long: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7
 Printer friendly
  Verified artist
   Donating member How to donate

It took 1.7 ninja's to process this page!

HappyHardcore.com

1999 - 2024 HappyHardcore.com
audio: PRS for music. Build: 3.1.73.1

Go to top of page