Lost password
 Remember my login 
 All forums
 Music production & Gear talk
 Starting out
 Printer friendly
Page: 
of 2

All users can post new topics in this forum. All users can reply to topics in this forum

Author Thread  
zilv3r

United Kingdom
59 posts
zilv3r has attended 1 event
Posted - 2002/09/24 :  01:14:25  Show profile Send a private message
I made a topic a while back about buying some decks n stuff, well I'm finally
getting around to it, but as you could guess, I know shit about what I want.

Which would be best for a novice? Direct Drive, or Belt Drive?

A half decent package is on htfr the Numark TT-100 decks with a Numark
DM1001 2 chan mixer.

Price is pretty good as well. Also, a list of vinyal's that's good to learn
with (read as "can take a beating")

Cheers :)

Why all the pressure to sum up my life, my religion, my whole world in one line?

Alert moderator
Erbl

United Kingdom
99 posts
Posted - 2002/09/24 :  02:21:44  Show profile  Send a private message
the mixer is good (although the fader can go quite quickly) but ive heard the decks are riddeled with problems. I take it looking at htfr, you have about £500, can you spend £50 more? if so get the numark tt200, i feel these will be much better decks
apart from that, cant realy see any great packages.

Alert moderator Go to top of page
Brian K
Advanced Member

United States
8,663 posts

528 hardcore releases
Brian K has attended 5 events
Posted - 2002/09/24 :  03:04:42  Show profile  Send a private message
if you have to buy a start up/dj in a box package i don't think you should be djing =P

start off buying some direct drives. most of you're money should go into you're decks, then spend what you have left on a mixer.

"Cuz I'm hardcore, heavyweight, magical man."

DJ Mouse
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
2,687 posts
DJ Mouse has attended 1 event
Posted - 2002/09/24 :  03:24:09  Show profile  Send a private message
belt and direct decks are a totally different kettle of fish. you're not gonna find any belt drives in a club so get yourself direct drives. if i was to recommend a direct drive deck (other than technics) go for the gemini pt series. they'll last longer than numark

--------------------------------------------------
"Don't frown when someone annoys you, it uses 42 muscles. Bitch-slap the fu©ker, it only uses 4"

DJ Mouse

Erbl

United Kingdom
99 posts
Posted - 2002/09/24 :  04:54:09  Show profile  Send a private message
if you have to buy a start up/dj in a box package i don't think you should be djing =P
?
what the hell do you mean? a boxed package is a great way to get into the world of dj's. its a complicated place, and these packages with a bit of gidence from other dj's goes a long long way, oh and they are cheaper.
personally i dont like the gemini decks apart from the 2400's, so i wouldnt go for them (or the ones that appear to be in your price range) as for the mixer, it is ok to start with a basic one, but the quality means you might end up spending a fair bit of money on it, when you could of used that money to buy a better mixer which you will not need to spend money on (these are just my views)

DJ Mouse
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
2,687 posts
DJ Mouse has attended 1 event
Posted - 2002/09/24 :  07:11:47  Show profile  Send a private message
you don't need a brilliant mixer,all i go for is 3 channels (3 deck setup) and 3 band eq. i only got a gemini ps-626 pro II but it's got all that.

if you're thinking of scratching you might need something that's got a good fader,very hard to find. my crossfader's cream crackered after 9 months

--------------------------------------------------
"Don't frown when someone annoys you, it uses 42 muscles. Bitch-slap the fu©ker, it only uses 4"

DJ Mouse

zilv3r

United Kingdom
59 posts
zilv3r has attended 1 event
Posted - 2002/09/24 :  10:40:57  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit zilv3r's homepage
I don't have a budget :D (good job) I just don't want to go out blowing thousands on something that I might not get into. (i'm like that)

So if I spend about 500/600 I could get something not too bad.. right?

Also, the package I mentioned is direct drive. Just to rub it in a little more to make me a total n00b, what's the differant between direct drive and belt (belt drive uses a motor and a belt to drive the table, this much I know)

There's also a "dj package" by Stanton, I've heard good things about Stanton. So I take it there pretty good?

the "package" is:

2x STR8 60's direct drive, with a Stanton SK5-2 channal mixer with curve control. with slipmats/cartridge/slipmats/leads/all that bollox.

For £539 not bad?

There's also a Citronic package, if you have a HTFR catalog, go through it and tell me what's good and what's not, I don't want to be splashing out on something that wont last me 5 mins.

Thanks all :)

Why all the pressure to sum up my life, my religion, my whole world in one line?

Brian K
Advanced Member

United States
8,663 posts

528 hardcore releases
Posted - 2002/09/24 :  13:27:45  Show profile  Send a private message
quote:
Originally posted by Erbl:
what the hell do you mean? a boxed package is a great way to get into the world of dj's.

i mean that they are usually piles of crap in a box. the equipment is usually below par, hence why they are cheaper

Erbl

United Kingdom
99 posts
Posted - 2002/09/24 :  13:47:27  Show profile  Send a private message
if you have no budget i suggest you get techies or vestax, they hold there value much better so you will be able to sell them if wanted and probably save more money.
as for a mixer, i suggest you spend about £200 minimum, this will give you equipment that lasts. mixers for around £200-£250 to look at are the ecler pro 20 (i own this one), great mixer, i praze this mixer all the time for sound feel and build quality.
others include the vestax pvc 175, good mixer especially for £249ish. my brother uses it, fader will last, although i am not the biggest fan of the fader(just a personel thing though, mixers are that way), and you know what you are getting with vestax mixers, quality throughout.
some of my next choices are on how i feel and what i like in mixers, and i like scratch mixers, simple as thats all you need and allows you to scratch better (i know i know, sounds like a thicko comment)
for £225 is the gemini umx 9, a great scratch mixer which has one of the best faders in the buisness, great at what it is

these would be what i would chose from
so to sum up, you might as well spend the money if you have got it, as i recon it will save you money anyway, if you carry on or give up.
so decks-vestax pdx 2000, or technics 1200 mk2 or m3d's
mixer, ecler pro 20 or gemini umx 9 or vestax pvc 175 (a mixer here for most tastes)

and remember, its adictive, you will spend loads on the black grooved stuff.

footnote: you know the tecnical stuff about directs and belt, so ill explain the effects on both dj and hi-fi use
for hi-fi use, belt is better as less vibrations get to the platter (the platter is not dorectly connected to the motor)
for dj, direct as you have no parts to strech, the pitch and speed stay accurate instead of slowing down with age (and with the way of dj'ing, the belts can go quickly, this doesnt happen with belts when used for hi-fi for a long time) also directs means that the platter speeds up much more quickly, something every dj looks for

djyogi

Australia
487 posts
Posted - 2002/09/24 :  15:12:15  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit djyogi's homepage
You should get direct drive as it will make u get used to them, which is better at the end because after u've had x amounts of practice and are actually mixing well you want nothing but direct drives. Although Belt drive tables are still goood i used them at first. What i did to make it feeel direct drive tables was is i got a peice of plastic sleaving and put it under the slipmat so that it spins more smoothly. It's cheap but it kinda works. ANywayz it all depends on how much money you have and if you want to be doing smapling. A goood mixer would be the omnitronics or Stanton are now goood as well. Although the pioneer Djm300 mixer does have beat counters on it.

"My only regret in life is that i wasn't a DJ" Draz

Brian K
Advanced Member

United States
8,663 posts

528 hardcore releases
Posted - 2002/09/24 :  15:16:14  Show profile  Send a private message
boo to beat counters, i think that's cheating =P

Soren

United States
499 posts
Posted - 2002/09/24 :  16:48:46  Show profile  Send a private message
I second that. I also suggest getting either new or used Technics (or other expensive DD tables) cause you can sell them for about 75% of what you bought them for. So even if you spend like $1400 you'll probably get $1000 selling it all if it's good. A $600 kit-that's-shhhit-in-a-box will resell for about $200 so you end up loosing the same amount of money but one way you get way better equipment to try DJing out on :)

Dj Tripnosis

Canada
418 posts
Dj Tripnosis has attended 1 event
Posted - 2002/09/24 :  18:19:36  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Dj Tripnosis's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Brian K:

Amen to that !!!!

-Hi, My name is Auto and i looove to get Blotto !! -

-rejecting your reality and substituting my own

Xenochrome
Advanced Member

United States
2,645 posts
Xenochrome is a site donation subscriber Xenochrome has attended 5 events
Posted - 2002/09/25 :  07:11:23  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Xenochrome's homepage
quote:

Agreed.

Emanation

United Kingdom
116 posts

57 hardcore releases
Posted - 2002/09/25 :  07:41:46  Show profile  Send a private message
I started up not that long ago, n knew wot i wanted straight away. I didn't wana buy crap ones now n fork out a load more in a years time so i got Stanton STR-80's n SK-6F mixer.
Money well spent in my opinion n there the dogs b****x!

"Where's all the noise, all the girlz, all the boyz"

atomicb
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
621 posts

60 hardcore releases
Posted - 2002/09/25 :  08:58:44  Show profile  Send a private message
I was always under the impression bpm counters didn't work very well and where just for fun.. besides (the way I beat match anyway :S) they wou;dn't be of any use at all :S

New PostPost Reply
Topic is 2 pages long: 1  2
 Printer friendly
  Verified artist
   Donating member How to donate

It took 1.91 ninja's to process this page!

HappyHardcore.com

1999 - 2024 HappyHardcore.com
audio: PRS for music. Build: 3.1.73.1

Go to top of page