Lost password
 Remember my login 
 All forums
 General discussion
 Shall we all do a mix together?
 Printer friendly
Page: 
of 6

All users can post new topics in this forum. All users can reply to topics in this forum

Author Thread  
djDMS
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
10,304 posts

572 hardcore releases
djDMS has donated money to the site djDMS has attended 43 events
Posted - 2011/06/23 :  16:22:18  Show profile Send a private message  Visit djDMS's homepage
Possibly a stupid idea but what do you all think about putting together a group mix?

I was listening to a B2B mix i did with Mortis a while back and it popped into my head.

Not entirely sure of the best way to make it work but i was thinking of something like this -

We get together a list of people to take part, once we have enough people, i'll draw lots to choose a running order.

Then, in order, each person on the list adds a track (or 2 if you're quick) to the preceding mix, uploads it, sends me the link and i pass it on to the next - who adds a track to the end etc etc...

Another idea i had for the next mix competition - groups of 2 random members doing a back to back mix together, could bring some interesting results!

Could anybody be bothered to join in either? Thoughts and ideas please

Alert moderator
Triquatra

United Kingdom
12,635 posts
Triquatra is a site donation subscriber Triquatra has attended 26 events
Posted - 2011/06/23 :  16:38:56  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Triquatra's homepage
I can offer web hosting for this (an FTP which everyone can log in on and upload and download it) would be like an online folder everyone here can access - also might come in handy if we all wanted to collab on a song together..........

i like the idea though this would really only work for those of with CD decks, or a Computer mixing

those of us (like myself) who are solely vinyl would have to sit it out...

Alert moderator Go to top of page
Edited by - Triquatra on 2011/06/23 16:39:20
djDMS
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
10,304 posts

572 hardcore releases
Posted - 2011/06/23 :  16:57:07  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit djDMS's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by DjTriquatra:
I can offer web hosting for this (an FTP which everyone can log in on and upload and download it) would be like an online folder everyone here can access - also might come in handy if we all wanted to collab on a song together..........

i like the idea though this would really only work for those of with CD decks, or a Computer mixing

That's very good of you mate :-)

Sorry it won't be for everybody, did mean to say it might not be possible for some to take part due to equipment restrictions. Saying that though, you can get Virtual DJ free.....

Steeky

United Kingdom
79 posts
Steeky has attended 4 events
Posted - 2011/06/23 :  16:58:33  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Steeky's homepage
Thats not a bad Idea.. only downfall is making sure trakcs arent doubled or if someone downloads it out of turn. Its a major pitty that there is people without CD decks or Control vinyl to not take part..

Triquatra

United Kingdom
12,635 posts
Posted - 2011/06/23 :  17:04:24  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Triquatra's homepage
having no limits on the tracklist would be an hilarious bonus too - if everyone gets to pick their own choice in song..i'm sure the resulting tracklist would make for a truely amusing listen!

someone continuing from Darren Styles Skydiving into Scott browns Boomstick ;)

djDMS
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
10,304 posts

572 hardcore releases
Posted - 2011/06/23 :  17:10:29  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit djDMS's homepage
quote:
having no limits on the tracklist would be an hilarious bonus too - if everyone gets to pick their own choice in song..i'm sure the resulting tracklist would make for a truely amusing listen!

That's exactly what i'm hoping for!

And Steeky - i'll be ruling things with an iron hand! Logistically, it could be a pain in the arse but i'm sure i can hold it together.

Triquatra

United Kingdom
12,635 posts
Posted - 2011/06/23 :  17:28:55  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Triquatra's homepage
this sounds like too much fun, I'll just have to break out the credit card and pick up some CDJ1000's ;)

D-tor
Advanced Member

United States
1,143 posts
Posted - 2011/06/23 :  17:41:08  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit D-tor's homepage
That sounds fun! Although I don't know how it would work... would it just be re-recorded a LOT?

djDMS
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
10,304 posts

572 hardcore releases
Posted - 2011/06/23 :  17:44:27  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit djDMS's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by D-tor:
That sounds fun! Although I don't know how it would work... would it just be re-recorded a LOT?

Basically, yes.

Either that or you all come to my house!

Simon
Advanced Member

Belgium
5,001 posts
Simon has donated money to the site Simon has attended 5 events
Posted - 2011/06/23 :  17:53:04  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Simon's homepage
What was in your weetabix this morning, nice ideas. I'm down with them, kudos to you Sir.

Samination
Advanced Member

Sweden
13,085 posts

195 hardcore releases
Samination has attended 17 events
Posted - 2011/06/23 :  17:55:27  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Samination's homepage
I sent the parts I mixed over to Bluecore when we made b2b's, then he tried to mix together his tracks, and sent me the last part of his mix to me (to keep same volume and bpm).

The only thing needed is someone who can cut&paste properly (this I can do), and then master the mixes (this I cant :P). A rule would be to try to mix at most -5dB

http://samination.se/
---------------------------------------------

Edited by - Samination on 2011/06/23 17:57:27
Triquatra

United Kingdom
12,635 posts
Posted - 2011/06/23 :  18:20:13  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Triquatra's homepage
the way i see it is there are a few options

Option 1 (the long one)
pick the first song, someone goes first to start it off the second song is left to play out to the finish (they technically get to pick the first two songs) and that start is uploaded, then the next person is chosen

they then download mix and mixes from the final song into their chosen song which they then let play till it finishes
(whilst recoding it however you would record your mixes)
and then uploads result to FTP

then the next person is chosen and it starts again

audio degredation wouldnt matter too much, this is for the fun factor as opposed to the make an audio perfect mix.
but the issue is recording as the next DJ would have to wait for a very long time to record their bit as the previous songs would have to be recorded too in their version!
each person would have to re-record the entire mix each time, so the process would get longer and longer, which would be a pain if you suddenly had to redo it because you made a mistake or missed the drop!

Option 2. (shorter, but more technical)
splicing, when it comes to an individual's turn they take half the final song out using software, as that would be the correct bpm, then work with that in their cd decks or computer mixer, record, and then resplice their mix back into the full mix using software (Audition/Soundforge/Audacity) then reupload it.

Option 3. (shorter still, less technical, possibly 'safer')
is basically the same as option 2 but I (or someone else) does all the splicing, i'm quite happy to, but basically that would make it easier for those who dont want to dabble with audio programs they may not have. I (or someone else) could keep track of who's turn it is and can put the half mp3 for the next person to mix out of into their song on the FTP, they can record their part, let the song play out to the end and reupload to the FTP where I'll attach it to end of the mix and cut off the end of the song to send to the next person, the process continues till the mix is ended, and i can upload the final mix in full for everyone to enjoy.

Option 4 (more expensive for most)
we all take our cds/mp3s, go round to DMS's place for beer and hookers.

option 2 and 3 get around the whole illegal track thing, because nobody ever has a full track, its like everyone is given just the 2nd half of the song (enough time to mix out however you want)

any other thoughts?

*edit* samination beat me to it there!
i'm not fussed about who cuts and pastes - though I'd like to add it would be a massive shame if people started circlejerking about audio quality - its not about that, and it'll put people off if others start farting off about it. people will be going from CDs to PCs, vinyl to cds, mp3s to mp3s, mp3s to vinyl - quality should only enter into it when it comes to bitrate and audio levels, so that we just have some sort of constant..this should stay as something fun, where people of different abilitys and equipment can get involved!

Edited by - Triquatra on 2011/06/23 18:25:17
Vitalism
Advanced Member

Canada
1,707 posts
Posted - 2011/06/23 :  18:30:41  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Vitalism's homepage
quote:

maya44 usb soundcard + traktor vinyl + download = problem solved. less than traktor new, but still expensive. works like a charm though

D-tor
Advanced Member

United States
1,143 posts
Posted - 2011/06/23 :  18:42:43  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit D-tor's homepage
I think Option 2 or 3 is best... that way I can participate as the Atlantic separates me.

Also if we go through with this this should be on the radio cycle. Not only would it be awesome but there would be so many B2Bs in the title name... I'm chuckling just thinking about it.

Triquatra

United Kingdom
12,635 posts
Posted - 2011/06/23 :  19:46:00  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Triquatra's homepage
lol! I highly doubt it would get one the radio as i'm sure it wouldnt reach the high critera of minimal happy hardcore, freeform, breakbeat and gabber and maximum UK hardcore. plus if i'm not mistaken when a mix goes on the radio is has to be exclusive and isnt allowed to appear on other radio stations and websites for download..

Ken Masters
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
3,447 posts
Posted - 2011/06/23 :  19:49:47  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Ken Masters's homepage
I'm well up for this. Great idea! Count me in

New PostPost Reply
Topic is 6 pages long: 1  2  3  4  5  6
 Printer friendly
  Verified artist
   Donating member How to donate

It took 1.42 ninja's to process this page!

HappyHardcore.com

1999 - 2024 HappyHardcore.com
audio: PRS for music. Build: 3.1.73.1

Go to top of page