Email Us!
Username: Password:

Lost password
 Remember my login 

All forums
 Music production & Gear talk
 Mastering and effects ?
 Printer friendly

All users can post new topics in this forum. All users can reply to topics in this forum

Author Thread  
scottyd2k9
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
749 posts
Posted - 2012/01/08 :  14:08:29  Show profile Send a private message
Can you actually do this on headphones ?
most people use monitors or speakers but the frequencies in headphones obviously wont be as powerfull so im just wondering can you master an use the effects like Eq'n an comressing proper on headphones

also what would be the best cheap headphones to master a track with ??

im looking to buy some cheap headphones, at the minute ive got some senheiser earphones an seriously ive only made 2 tunes an ive had to send them away to be mastered because there not much good.

Ive been looking at some pioneer or senheiser ones something less than 150.00 if that's possible, or i might save up !

Thanks !

Alert moderator

Edited by - scottyd2k9 on 2012/01/08 14:09:48
Audio Warfare
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
3,046 posts
Audio Warfare has attended 19 events
Posted - 2012/01/09 :  11:27:46  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Audio Warfare's homepage
If you are talking about proper, pro mastering you WILL need monitors (expensive ones at that). Mastering engineers might well reference with headphones but you would need to reference on speakers too. Im guessing you meant mixing down and maybe a DJ master though rather than this?

I wouldn't advise it as there are a number of issues with using headphones and you would certainly get better results with decent monitors. A few people do use 'phones for mixing down though and some of them get good results. If you familiarise yourself with the issue involved it will certainly help as you know what to compensate against but you will still be fighting an uphill battle.

Lots of people swear by Sennheiser HD 25's but I've never used a pair in a studio situation so couldn't really comment. I should just put the money towards room treatment or monitors though.

Alert moderator Go to top of page
scottyd2k9
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
749 posts
Posted - 2012/01/09 :  16:24:02  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit scottyd2k9's homepage
I cant really get monitors though, next door's are a bunch of tits. Plus even though this is a rented house an its done up the walls are like paper.

That's why i was looking at some headphones, theres some KRK headphones, they not any good.;

Might just send me tracks to someone to master..
That's if i ever finish them that is !

scottyd2k9
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
749 posts
Posted - 2012/01/09 :  16:53:09  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit scottyd2k9's homepage
what about some shminney ones like these ?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fostex-PM0-4-N-Studio-Monitors-Black-pair-/350482765101?pt=UK_ConElec_SpeakersPASystems_RL&hash=item519a66952d

would they be allright ?

Kayin

United States
52 posts
Posted - 2012/01/14 :  18:17:45  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Kayin's homepage
Those are pretty decent. I was previewing them in Best Buy and was messing around with FLStudio they had and I could master tracks with em, but if you want to save a bit of money, look for Alesis M1Active 320 monitors. Those sound the same, but is $99 instead of $173.

Or if you just want your tracks out asap, yeah send em off to someone, but how much will that cost? I don't know cause I'm not sure where to look.

W: Well it's clearly no match for Jonathan Ross.
J: Well that's interesting because I f*cked your mom.

Hard2Get
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
12,837 posts
Hard2Get has attended 21 events
Posted - 2012/01/14 :  19:44:38  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Hard2Get's homepage
You can engineer to Hardcore standards on headphones (given the low production standards). It will take work though, and skill, but not less than it would to make a well engineered tune anyway. Not everyone can do it but it's possible. As I've said in another thread, NuFoundation is a prime example.

Edited by - Hard2Get on 2012/01/14 19:45:07
tonyg123

United Kingdom
133 posts
Posted - 2012/01/15 :  14:35:57  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit tonyg123's homepage
I've got a thread about 4 or 5 down the list and a few people have posted about professional mastering services, quite cheap aswell

New PostPost Reply
 Printer friendly
  Verified artist
   Donating member How to donate

It took 0.98 ninja's to process this page!

HappyHardcore.com

1999 - 2024 HappyHardcore.com
audio: PRS for music. Build: 3.1.73.1

Go to top of page