Lost password
 Remember my login 
 All forums
 General discussion
 Question about PDA's/Smartphones
 Printer friendly
Page: 
of 2

All users can post new topics in this forum. All users can reply to topics in this forum

Author Thread  
Blackcrow
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
723 posts
Blackcrow has attended 3 events
Posted - 2012/05/04 :  08:58:57  Show profile Send a private message
I have had a Palm Z22 for roughly 2 1/2 years, I stopped using it very roughly 1 1/4 years ago.
Because I find that my level of Organising doesnt warrant a need for the ability to plan my day by the hour.
I bought a PDA, because I thought it would help me be organised, but I found it was just overkill, an analogy for me would be "taking a 4x4 with a big engine, just to get to the end of my street" in organisation terms, or "Swatting a fly with a Jackhammer"
Because I dont need to such detailed information for my level of organisation such as Time, Place, "meeting type" and an Alarm.

Thing that annoyed me specifically was the slow latency of the Stylus Tracking on the Palm Z22, compared to lets say a Ball-Point pen wrting on paper.
I found I couldnt write nearly as fast with a Stylus, as I could do with an Ink-Pen.

My Question is this.
Where can I find a PDA/Smartphone that has a Stylus that reacts almost quickly as an Ink-pen or at least perceptibly(In Human terms) as fast as an Ink-Pen.

My dream organisational device is 11x15 cm, uses color E-paper, and can be used with a variety of "Stylus modes" such as:
Ink, Charcoal, Felt-tip, Acrylic, Water-Colour, Oil-paint.
Has a each e-page arranged like a regular diary, which can be changed by pressing a "turn page" buttton.
With all the extra stuff you get in the Digital-domain like:
Syncing.
Erasing whole days(No more angry rants, I sometimes put in mine, for example..."So and So, is a complete Bastard...etc etc")
Copy and Pasting.
Pinch and Zoom.

Unless the digital medium can supply me with all this, in a form thats smaller than 15x9 inches(that means you Ipad) then they will never be as good as a paper diary.

Alert moderator

Edited by - Blackcrow on 2012/05/04 08:59:16
Future_Shock
Advanced Member

Australia
2,483 posts
Future_Shock has attended 5 events
Posted - 2012/05/04 :  17:22:48  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Future_Shock's homepage
cool story bro.

my smart phone has a calendar where i can do all that and im faster typing with a touch pad keyboard than i am physically writing with my hand and a pen so....

have fun carrying around a diary.

Alert moderator Go to top of page
Triquatra

United Kingdom
12,635 posts
Triquatra is a site donation subscriber Triquatra has attended 26 events
Posted - 2012/05/04 :  18:00:17  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Triquatra's homepage
I don't have either!

Blackcrow
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
723 posts
Posted - 2012/05/05 :  11:51:12  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Blackcrow's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Andy_Influx:
cool story bro.

my smart phone has a calendar where i can do all that and im faster typing with a touch pad keyboard than i am physically writing with my hand and a pen so....

Both my Phone, and my Palm Z22(Traditional PDA), force me to set a Time & Alarm for all my appointments/reminders/to-do's.
Which I find makes it harder for me to organise, as I am a human, and [sic] organic in my nature of mind. And I found running my life by Alarms made me less organised.

I assume your Smartphone offers you the option of NOT popping up a dialogue box each time you want to set a reminder, to ask you whether you want to be at X at Precisely 10h:20s, and 030ms, and what kind of Appointment it is, what kind of underpants you'll be wearing...etc...etc.

Or maybe I have just been unlucky in finding an electronic means of organisation that doesn't Oblige me into having to set a damm Alarm each time?

Edited by - Blackcrow on 2012/05/05 11:52:10
Lilley
Advanced Member

Australia
3,740 posts
Lilley has attended 7 events
Posted - 2012/05/05 :  14:14:17  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Lilley's homepage
I was born with a brain that could remember things.

Warnman
Advanced Member

Germany
2,676 posts
Warnman has attended 2 events
Posted - 2012/05/05 :  19:43:19  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Warnman's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Lilley:
I was born with a brain that could remember things.

Where can I get one of those?

"Happy Hardcore: Love it... hate it... it's fun!" (Matt Stokes)

Lilley
Advanced Member

Australia
3,740 posts
Lilley has attended 7 events
Posted - 2012/05/05 :  23:42:06  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Lilley's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Warnman:

Where can I get one of those?

It was special delivery.
There are some things I need to write down, shopping lists for example, but mostly stuff gets put in memory.

Future_Shock
Advanced Member

Australia
2,483 posts
Future_Shock has attended 5 events
Posted - 2012/05/06 :  07:10:35  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Future_Shock's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Blackcrow:
quote:
cool story bro.

Both my Phone, and my Palm Z22(Traditional PDA), force me to set a Time & Alarm for all my appointments/reminders/to-do's.
Which I find makes it harder for me to organise, as I am a human, and [sic] organic in my nature of mind. And I found running my life by Alarms made me less organised.

It makes sense to have a time and alarm for appointments. That's the point. So you don't miss it and you know where it is and have enough time to get there.

"pool 10 am" is not an appointment. If its not important enough to warrant a notification then use your brain.

quote:
I assume your Smartphone offers you the option of NOT popping up a dialogue box each time you want to set a reminder, to ask you whether you want to be at X at Precisely 10h:20s, and 030ms, and what kind of Appointment it is, what kind of underpants you'll be wearing...etc...etc.

Or maybe I have just been unlucky in finding an electronic means of organisation that doesn't Oblige me into having to set a damm Alarm each time?

It offers the option of turning off a notification, you can also set the time for "all day" so it only warns you once. You wont find any sort of electronic device that doesnt open a dialogue box because the whole point is for it to remind you of something.

You know why you find these annoying? Cos it doesn't look like you have anything worth putting into a ****ing calendar. No wonder you're annoyed by being reminded of it.

whispering

Finland
8,452 posts
whispering has donated money to the site
Posted - 2012/05/06 :  09:03:14  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit whispering's homepage
quote:
cool story bro.

Wrote a 'to do' -list at work last friday, 'cause i easily forget things. After 5 lines my arm started to hurt o_O

quote:

If i set a reminder to my phone, i choose from 5 different types. Depending on the type it either has an alarm or it doesn't, among other things.

Blackcrow
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
723 posts
Posted - 2012/05/06 :  10:12:36  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Blackcrow's homepage
quote:
It offers the option of turning off a notification, you can also set the time for "all day" so it only warns you once. You wont find any sort of electronic device that doesnt open a dialogue box because the whole point is for it to remind you of something.

You know why you find these annoying? Cos it doesn't look like you have anything worth putting into a ****ing calendar. No wonder you're annoyed by being reminded of it.

^That diary in the picture isn't mine. :D
Thats just a random picture I pulled of the web.

Blackcrow
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
723 posts
Posted - 2012/05/18 :  14:56:24  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Blackcrow's homepage
Don't take this the wrong way guys, but I heard somewhere that people who don't need diaries generally don't really think things about much and don't have much of an imagination, or any great aspirations for themselves.

I would hazard a guess at saying both Albert Einstein, and Steven Hawking, kept a diary

Triquatra

United Kingdom
12,635 posts
Posted - 2012/05/18 :  15:04:58  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Triquatra's homepage
I heard somewhere that people who need diarys have small genitalia

whispering

Finland
8,452 posts
whispering has donated money to the site
Posted - 2012/05/18 :  15:08:23  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit whispering's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Triquatra:

I've heard this too. Was on British Medical Journal if i remember right.

Blackcrow
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
723 posts
Posted - 2012/05/18 :  16:13:52  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Blackcrow's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by whispering:
quote:
Originally posted by Triquatra:

I've heard this too. Was on British Medical Journal if i remember right.

How very mature.

Triquatra

United Kingdom
12,635 posts
Posted - 2012/05/18 :  16:28:53  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Triquatra's homepage
no less mature than your claim, which is equally founded on anecdotal evidence.

JustIncredible
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
599 posts
JustIncredible has attended 2 events
Posted - 2012/05/18 :  22:56:03  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit JustIncredible's homepage
I thought only 12 year old girls kept diaries.

New PostPost Reply
Topic is 2 pages long: 1  2
 Printer friendly
  Verified artist
   Donating member How to donate

It took 1.79 ninja's to process this page!

HappyHardcore.com

1999 - 2024 HappyHardcore.com
audio: PRS for music. Build: 3.1.73.1

Go to top of page