Email Us!
Username: Password:

Lost password
 Remember my login 

All forums
 Music discussion - hardcore
 Kickstarter
 Printer friendly

All users can post new topics in this forum. All users can reply to topics in this forum

Author Thread  
DJ Hellfury
Advanced Member

Austria
2,237 posts
DJ Hellfury has attended 7 events
Posted - 2013/01/26 :  18:23:24  Show profile Send a private message  Visit DJ Hellfury's homepage
You may have heard about Kickstarter where projects get privately financed from interested customers.

The idea about Kickstarter is that guys behind one project hand out details about the goals and required money (edit: like here or here).

If customers don't spend enough money to finance the project all backers (customers who spend money) get their donation back.

I wonder what would happen when labels like Rebuild Music or Hardcore Underground go with that trend.

The good thing about Kickstarter is that teams behind those projects decide which pledge categories are possible.
Will there be pledge options like "Digital Copy", "Digital Copy & Bonus Tracks" and "CD + Booklet"? The Team decides; and customers decide what option they take and how much money they spend in this project.

The bad thing is that crowdfunding is limited on 1 month. That means the project gets canceled when the necassary money has not been collected.
Teams can re-open the project, but it starts on 0 again.

Successfull financed projects get their money "before" the project starts; thats another plus for kickstarter.
On the other hand you have to make the effort to post a detailed plan for public and each backer get their product "for free" afterwards since they paid already.

edit2: as backer, you can donate again to reach higher pledge category.

Kickstarter is, in my opinion, an good opportunity to finance albums.
Imagine an "Release those damn mp3's already, Scott Brown!" Project... i would totally bake that ^^

Hardcore Shows Soundcloud
Hellfury Soundcloud
Label Bandcamp

Alert moderator

Edited by - DJ Hellfury on 2013/01/31 12:28:51
Triquatra

United Kingdom
12,635 posts
Triquatra is a site donation subscriber Triquatra has attended 26 events
Posted - 2013/01/26 :  19:08:06  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Triquatra's homepage
I'm surprised more people aren't using kickstarter tbh

Alert moderator Go to top of page
Samination
Advanced Member

Sweden
13,072 posts

195 hardcore releases
Samination has attended 17 events
Posted - 2013/01/26 :  22:13:33  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Samination's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Triquatra:
I'm surprised more people aren't using kickstarter tbh

kickstarter just sounds like a easy plan for scammers to get quick money if you ask me :P
Who decides if a product is complete? The project handler, kickstarter moderators or the doners?

Anyways. It would be nice if it worked.

Here's a project example I thought of it. Depending on how much you've donated, you could get these products at the end;

Largest donations = 1-2 DVD-Rs with the complete backcat of the label in FLAC (where possible)
Large donations = 1 DVD-R with most backcat (~80 songs) in FLAC.
Medium donations = 1 DVD-R with backcat in lossless format (mp3 or aac) in 320kb/s
Small donations = 1 CD-R with a bunch of tracks in lossless format.
Smallest donation = 1 Audio-CD with 11-15 tracks.
(a FLAC is usually around 45-60MiB large and a single sided DVD is about 4.3-4.4GiB)

Personally, I would rather handpick the tracks I like (there's no real label I like completly :P)

I was going to write a huge wall of text, but when I noticed I got too negative and sidetracked, I deleted it and just wrote the bulk of my idea :P
Edit nr 45: I think a kickstarter is bad if it's not started by the label owners themselfs.

http://samination.se/
---------------------------------------------

Edited by - Samination on 2013/01/26 22:17:02
DJ Hellfury
Advanced Member

Austria
2,237 posts
DJ Hellfury has attended 7 events
Posted - 2013/01/26 :  22:48:26  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit DJ Hellfury's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Samination:
kickstarter just sounds like a easy plan for scammers to get quick money if you ask me :P
[...]
I think a kickstarter is bad if it's not started by the label owners themselfs.

Yeah, it depends on project team. If it's Rebuild Music or Evolution, most ppl would donate; and not for some noname projects.

quote:
Who decides if a product is complete? The project handler, kickstarter moderators or the doners?

Most likely team and then donators as second.
If released info is valid and informative, and it gets frequent updates (weekly), people donate quicker and more; that's what i saw during some kickstarter projects

edit:
quote:
Personally, I would rather handpick the tracks I like (there's no real label I like completly :P)

same here, but some labels would have larger catalogs on online shops like trackitdown e.g. when they re-release their songs on crowdfunded (digital) compilations first.

i guess funding progress proceed even after kickstarter ends, only when team give an options (mastercard, paypal etc., like in Star Citizen)

Hardcore Shows Soundcloud
Hellfury Soundcloud
Label Bandcamp

Edited by - DJ Hellfury on 2013/01/26 23:06:12
silver
Admin

Japan
12,547 posts

894 hardcore releases
silver is verified hardcore artist silver is a site donation subscriber silver has attended 108 events
Posted - 2013/01/27 :  12:04:01  Show profile View artist profile  Send a private message  Visit silver's homepage
Seems like something Luna-C or CLSM would do, both have done simular things in the past.

Since young people are into hardcore not sure how many could actually donate or purchase, but still not a bad idea.

I did something like this with trialpay and hardcore addiction 1, where you would signup to things and actually get the album for free, about 10 people actually did it and we got some cash from it but I think trialpay changed their rules straight after we did our promotion as we are unable to do it anymore.

Dain-Ja
Advanced Member

Canada
1,983 posts
Dain-Ja has attended 11 events
Posted - 2013/01/29 :  04:00:39  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Dain-Ja's homepage
Not a bad idea.

Visit makemeRUSH.com for music from the ONLY North American hardcore label pressing vinyl!

FREE track every Monday: http://www.rushdeliveryrecords.com/?p=229

New PostPost Reply
 Printer friendly
  Verified artist
   Donating member How to donate

It took 1.22 ninja's to process this page!

HappyHardcore.com

1999 - 2024 HappyHardcore.com
audio: PRS for music. Build: 3.1.73.1

Go to top of page