Email Us!
Username: Password:

Lost password
 Remember my login 

All forums
 Music production & Gear talk
 I think I've attached my carts wrong :S
 Printer friendly

All users can post new topics in this forum. All users can reply to topics in this forum

Author Thread  
atomicb
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
621 posts

60 hardcore releases
Posted - 2002/12/16 :  06:39:53  Show profile Send a private message
Hey guys, just got me some new shure carts to replace my crappy 505's, thing is I think (even though I followed instructions) I've attached them wrong, and here's whats up:

at the start of a record, the tone arm moves * a lot* and it skips a often if not more so than my crappy carts.

When it gets to the center of the record the body of the cart touches the center of the record :S

What have I done? :S

Alert moderator
milo
Advanced Member

Canada
3,391 posts

347 hardcore releases
milo is verified hardcore artist milo has attended 89 events
Posted - 2002/12/16 :  08:54:05  Show profile View artist profile  Send a private message  Visit milo's homepage
it cuold just be the record unless this occurs on more than one thing. from te sounds of it you did weight them or set the anti-skate right, you could also change the height the arm is set at, that helps sometimes

"Everybody... rock, rock on.. "

Alert moderator Go to top of page
atomicb
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
621 posts

60 hardcore releases
Posted - 2002/12/16 :  09:00:34  Show profile  Send a private message
it does it on a lot of records :/ I think it is the hight of the tone arm, not the wieght on it.... however I don't think my crappy old decks have it... but surely they must do? :S they are numark 1520's (I know I know :()

Dj Dess

United States
127 posts

110 hardcore releases
Posted - 2002/12/16 :  11:13:27  Show profile  Send a private message
Well this is kind of off the topic (sorry) but I was wondering since your turntables are Numark 1520s. I ordered a pair and were wondering if they were good for starting off and also they are Direct Drives right?
Thanks in Advance sorry about off topic

Yo what's up this is a PSA public service announcement because i feel this is something we gotta say you see their trying to make hardcore dissapear trying to make it final for the vinyl saying that its time for the wax to relax-RL&D-PSA

atomicb
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
621 posts

60 hardcore releases
Posted - 2002/12/16 :  12:04:11  Show profile  Send a private message
orderd from where? the 1520's are discontinued arn't they?

If they are new and well looked after (like mine weren't by previous owners :/) they will be fine for starting, but if you touch a vestax or technics deck you'll be wanting to upgrade ;)

*ahem* anyway yes, they will serve u well as cheap starter decks.

and now back on topic plz! how the hell do I make them work right :S

Erbl

United Kingdom
99 posts
Posted - 2002/12/17 :  01:13:40  Show profile  Send a private message
right, 1520's do not have height adjust, ways to get round this problem is first to check the cart is deff on correctly, if possable, bring the cart forward on the headshell (although if memory serves me you might not be able to due to the lifty up part) add more weight with the counterweight (have you got the minimum weight setting suggested, if so add more, the arm is not as good as techies) put a coin (small one) on the headshell.
carts are never good when new, you need to ware them in, in time the carts will improve alot

atomicb
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
621 posts

60 hardcore releases
Posted - 2002/12/17 :  09:45:25  Show profile  Send a private message
hehe, thanks mate, I moved the carts forward just before I came to read this topic again, but thanks for the suggestion :)

And the counter wieght.. hmm I've got it set low and it works fine.. I don't want to risk mucking up my vinyl :)

And they do seem to be wearing in now... so thanks a lot guys - panic over me thinks :D

Peter_Go_Zania

United States
31 posts

225 hardcore releases
Posted - 2002/12/18 :  06:56:39  Show profile  Send a private message
unless you are scratching there is no need to run shures over 2.5 grams. Also one thing I remembered is DO NOT use that lil metal plate that they give you. It just adds unwanted wieght.

atomicb
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
621 posts

60 hardcore releases
Posted - 2002/12/18 :  08:57:37  Show profile  Send a private message
:/ ffs worked fine yesterday, right distance from the vinyl and everything.. and today. no go at all... all the decks fault no doubt *goes insane*

itchy

United Kingdom
46 posts
Posted - 2002/12/20 :  10:28:42  Show profile  Send a private message
put ur arm weight on backwards, dont use the supplied headshell weight that comes with em. also put ur height anywhere around about 4 to make sure the actual body of the cart isnt sitting on the vinyl.

with the shures the arm does move about alot but they should actually skip less. u might also want to angle ur carts to make them grip more.

the key with angling is to align the cartridge as if it were in a straight line with the weight at the back of the arm. this simulates a straght arm and so should skip less

also they sometimes take a few days to wear the styli in. i find the best thing to do is get a locked groove, like on a dirtstyle record, turn ur amp off and just let it play for a few hours just to wear the actual styli in. it should make the record wear much less noticeable. i spend all of my time skratching and i dont get any wear at all even using the same sample. its definately worth using all the steps i have mentioned

thats my 2 cents

New PostPost Reply
 Printer friendly
  Verified artist
   Donating member How to donate

It took 1.05 ninja's to process this page!

HappyHardcore.com

1999 - 2024 HappyHardcore.com
audio: PRS for music. Build: 3.1.73.1

Go to top of page