Email Us!
Username: Password:

Lost password
 Remember my login 

All forums
 Music production & Gear talk
 making mix tapes
 Printer friendly

All users can post new topics in this forum. All users can reply to topics in this forum

Author Thread  
wicky vicky
Banned

United States
55 posts
Posted - 2001/07/13 :  15:15:31  Show profile Send a private message  Visit wicky vicky's homepage
what should you have to make a mix tape. i use my mini stereo system and the tapes suck. i need to improve the sound quality

"play nothing but hardcore"

Alert moderator
DJ Tempest

United States
381 posts
Posted - 2001/07/13 :  20:48:09  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit DJ Tempest's homepage
hrmm
i always just hook up the tape player to the mixer...just get high quality tapes..ive never had a problem with the quality

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups."

Alert moderator Go to top of page
silver
Admin

Japan
12,548 posts

894 hardcore releases
silver is verified hardcore artist silver is a site donation subscriber silver has attended 108 events
Posted - 2001/07/15 :  00:12:36  Show profile View artist profile  Send a private message  Visit silver's homepage
Make sure the tapes are new, create one master tape and if you make a mistake don't re-record over the tape otherwise you will lose quaility. Once you have your master tape use that to copy to other tapes. Best to use a computer or something to record the master (record onto the computer and record back to tapes) as the more you play a tape the more the quaility goes.

DJ Tempest

United States
381 posts
Posted - 2001/07/15 :  07:33:35  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit DJ Tempest's homepage
yup yup...the tape will eventually wear thin...

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups."

dj-efeks

Australia
298 posts
Posted - 2001/07/15 :  14:01:12  Show profile  Send a private message
i use a minidisc recorder n they work really well for recordin mixes, ya master stays fresh for as long as you need it =P

...we were taught to believe, that everyone was created equal in the masterplan...

Soren

United States
499 posts
Posted - 2001/07/18 :  09:41:06  Show profile  Send a private message
Yep yep MD is the best. The old Minidisc compression protocols cut a bit of quality out of all the frequency ranges in order to squish all the info for 74 minutes of audio into one little disk. But the redid those protocols about 1 1/2 years ago and the new ones analyze what frequencies aren';t being used and cuts just those out. This (in techno especially) causes an amplifying effect for the frequencies that are there. Basically it works like a stereo compressor and brightens the "loudest" aspects of the the music, which IMO (and many others) makes recording on MD better than recording directly to WAV or other formats cause it cleans up the music for U, sounds great, and is super easy to record to tape with. ^_^

PS: Make sure if you get a MD that you get a newer one so U get the new compression. I suggest the Sony MZR 70 for a portable. And if U wanna make CD's in the future and not tapes you probably wanna get a non portable MD with Digital ins and outs so U can record directly to a computer later on with no degridation of sound quality.

Edited by - soren on 18 Jul 2001 09:47:22

DJ Mouse
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
2,687 posts
DJ Mouse has attended 1 event
Posted - 2001/07/25 :  10:15:49  Show profile  Send a private message
i just do a mix straight onto my hard drive and use that as a master copy,then put it on tape,you don't lose quality doing loads of tapes that way,so if there's any way you can hook up the pc to the decks,try that.
and as for software,i'd go for sound forge 5,coz you can mpeg it as well to save space. a good bitrate to save it at is anything between 128 and 192k

djm
it's like a dream,no end and no beginning...

Edited by - DJ Mouse on 25 Jul 2001 10:18:42

New PostPost Reply
 Printer friendly
  Verified artist
   Donating member How to donate

It took 1.2 ninja's to process this page!

HappyHardcore.com

1999 - 2024 HappyHardcore.com
audio: PRS for music. Build: 3.1.73.1

Go to top of page