Email Us!
Username: Password:

Lost password
 Remember my login 

All forums
 Music discussion - hardcore
 do they have to pay
 Printer friendly

All users can post new topics in this forum. All users can reply to topics in this forum

Author Thread  
FingazMc
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
2,761 posts
FingazMc has attended 28 events
Posted - 2001/07/15 :  06:59:08  Show profile Send a private message  Visit FingazMc's homepage
U no when djs do covers of songs do they have to pay the original artists for example hey jude by the beatles i think it woz vibes who covered it but if he did he must of had to pay a fortune! but ive noticed sumthin in most songs they change 1 or 2 words does that stop them having to pay??thanx!!

keep on ravin!!!

Edited by - mc-stylee on 15 Jul 2001 07:06:51

Alert moderator
DJ Tempest

United States
381 posts
Posted - 2001/07/15 :  09:04:15  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit DJ Tempest's homepage
last i heard, producers rarely get permission to do cover, so i would say that the answer is no.

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups."

Alert moderator Go to top of page
silver
Admin

Japan
12,549 posts

894 hardcore releases
silver is verified hardcore artist silver is a site donation subscriber silver has attended 108 events
Posted - 2001/07/15 :  10:07:42  Show profile View artist profile  Send a private message  Visit silver's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by mc-stylee:
U no when djs do covers of songs do they have to pay the original artists for example hey jude by the beatles i think it woz vibes who covered it but if he did he must of had to pay a fortune! but ive noticed sumthin in most songs they change 1 or 2 words does that stop them having to pay??thanx!!

In short no... If you use the exact same words as another song you "should" pay for the orginial artist the publishing rights to the song (most of the money), if you change a few words then that song is no longer published under the orginal artist and thus you don't have to pay publishing. If you sample the orginal song and the orginal owner of the recording wants to sue you then yes you have to pay big time :)

FingazMc
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
2,761 posts
Posted - 2001/07/15 :  10:27:50  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit FingazMc's homepage
has anybody in the hardcore buisness ever been sued

keep on ravin!!!

silver
Admin

Japan
12,549 posts

894 hardcore releases
silver is verified hardcore artist silver is a site donation subscriber silver has attended 108 events
Posted - 2001/07/15 :  21:43:20  Show profile View artist profile  Send a private message  Visit silver's homepage
Mostly likely, probally not actually sued but told to hand over all profits from the release.

Matty K

United Kingdom
48 posts
Posted - 2001/08/07 :  15:11:25  Show profile  Send a private message
Wasn't Hixxy sued by those pricks that did "Spaceman"??? Im sure he was, there was a minor sized article in the newspaper.

The Rhythm Station will always be my home

FingazMc
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
2,761 posts
Posted - 2001/08/07 :  15:40:44  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit FingazMc's homepage
Harsh man

http://mcstyleeuk.homestead.com/homepage.html

xxmcmagicxx

United Kingdom
22 posts
Posted - 2001/08/07 :  17:52:04  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit xxmcmagicxx's homepage
nah they sumtimes have 2 pay but depends but i do no 1 thing those geezers who did spaceman sued this dj t was in the newspaper ages ago my m8s gona hav a record out dont no wot its called but it is phat oh n head down 2 ikon in newcastle in 4 weeks time on the saturday its gona b phat we gota gig (the unkown jojo,dj evil n me mc magic there my dj buddies )we got this wikid set n if u r gona go let me known of any requests u want n another thing we got this mix but aint got a name 4 it u got any sugestions keep ravin clubbin drinkin n cumin 2 my gigs oh n does any one ere like children of the night that is so phat its played in time n roller world 24/7 k got that peep cya love unkown jojo dj evil n me mc magic cya peeps xxx

~* i ("v") u*~
'v'

virus
Advanced Member

Canada
4,346 posts

716 hardcore releases
virus has attended 41 events
Posted - 2001/08/07 :  19:27:15  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit virus's homepage
that was a really long sentance.

adam

Matty K

United Kingdom
48 posts
Posted - 2001/08/08 :  04:18:14  Show profile  Send a private message
The choon WAS "Spaceman" - on the flip it had a very bad, but extremly funny mix of Wigfield's "Saturday Night"

The Rhythm Station will always be my home

ian

Australia
94 posts
Posted - 2001/08/08 :  04:50:30  Show profile  Send a private message
I seem to recall drama's when the song Excalibur came out.

I can't remember what the fuss was about but what I *think* happened is that there was a song made very similar to excalibur and it never got cleared by some label (or maybe by the orchestra they sampled) so it never got released commercially. Then along came the tune excalibur and it was given the go-ahead and became the massively popular one everyone knows.

I could be way off the mark, but I remember someone telling me this ages ago, they also said that the tune before excalibur was better.

Does anyone know the truth? Am I making shit up?

silver
Admin

Japan
12,549 posts

894 hardcore releases
Posted - 2001/08/08 :  05:36:05  Show profile View artist profile  Send a private message  Visit silver's homepage
I remember around this time people used to record the BBC when classical stuff was on, make tunes... naughty naughty!

DJ Tempest

United States
381 posts
Posted - 2001/08/08 :  06:40:05  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit DJ Tempest's homepage
actually, i thought the people who did the original raving im raving did in fact get sued by the original artist (walking in memphis - marc cohn)

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups."

djtate

United Kingdom
138 posts
Posted - 2001/08/08 :  18:17:50  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit djtate's homepage
They have to get permission but prob not always have to pay!

Like Micheal Jackson I 'm a lyrical thriller Jack Nickloson I 'm a hardcore killer like Peter Pan iam the boy who can fly like a 747 right up to the sky

This is well old now. Aint been on this for years, gonna leavemy profile like this for a while x

silver
Admin

Japan
12,549 posts

894 hardcore releases
Posted - 2001/08/08 :  22:09:32  Show profile View artist profile  Send a private message  Visit silver's homepage
Here is the deal:

If you live in the US you can copyright song lyrics, but in no other country can you do this. Thus you can get a new vocalist to sing the same song and not get into trouble BUT the record label that releases the song has to pay publishing rights to the orginial artist that wrote the song, this is exactly why hardcore producers change the words on tunes so they don't have to pay it.

New PostPost Reply
 Printer friendly
  Verified artist
   Donating member How to donate

It took 1.47 ninja's to process this page!

HappyHardcore.com

1999 - 2024 HappyHardcore.com
audio: PRS for music. Build: 3.1.73.1

Go to top of page