Total online 1516
 Radio listeners 152+
Email Us!
Username: Password:

Lost password
 Remember my login 

All forums
 Music discussion - other genre
 Best Sega Megadrive/Genesis Soundtracks?
 Printer friendly

All users can post new topics in this forum. All users can reply to topics in this forum

Author Thread  
Gaz mace-E 1988

United Kingdom
77 posts
Posted - 2016/01/06 :  23:24:46  Show profile Send a private message  Visit Gaz mace-E 1988's homepage
Any Sega Fans on hear?? Being a retro game collector (any of you guys too?) I spend a lot of time listening to game soundtracks, more specifically the Sega Megadrive/Genesis as its my all time favourite console. What are your favourite songs or soundtracks from that console?
This may also include the Mega-CD and 32x.

A few of mine would be, Empire of steel (or steel empire in america) Sonic 3 (combined with sonic & knuckles) with zones like Flying battery Zone, The main Boss theme kicks ass, Death egg Zone etc. Batman (by sunsoft) had a fantastic soundtrack, Sol-Feace on the mega CD, and sonic CD! What are yours??

"you ain't headlinin' if you ain't redlinin'!!"

Alert moderator
Samination
Advanced Member

Sweden
13,073 posts

195 hardcore releases
Samination has attended 17 events
Posted - 2016/01/07 :  04:42:52  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Samination's homepage
Other than the odd Sonic songs (not all of the games), Wonderboy and Streets of Rage 2 has some good music

http://samination.se/
---------------------------------------------

Alert moderator Go to top of page
robertybob

United Kingdom
328 posts
Posted - 2016/01/07 :  11:53:52  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit robertybob's homepage
Streets of Rage II

sense_of_hardcore

United Kingdom
45 posts
Posted - 2016/02/06 :  00:57:29  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit sense_of_hardcore's homepage
Sonic 3 & Knuckles in terms of overall soundtrack, the whole history behind it is also very interesting as Michael Jackson supposedly helped compose it. The end boss theme is one of the best individual compositions I've heard in a video game.

Streets of Rage II was also pretty awesome:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZFloT80zWc

Gaz mace-E 1988

United Kingdom
77 posts
Posted - 2016/02/07 :  01:00:30  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Gaz mace-E 1988's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by sense_of_hardcore:
Sonic 3 & Knuckles in terms of overall soundtrack, the whole history behind it is also very interesting as Michael Jackson supposedly helped compose it. The end boss theme is one of the best individual compositions I've heard in a video game.

Streets of Rage II was also pretty awesome:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZFloT80zWc

I completely agree! Finally somebody understands haha. I've only learnt recently of Michael Jacksons involvement, I was quite surprised but after watching a video on YouTube making comparisons I was blown away! Sonic 3 & knuckles has got to be one of my all time favourite games, with a kick ass soundtrack to boot!

Never played streets of rage 2, its quite expensive these days, I don't usually like playing emulated games and prefer physical copys, tho SOR 1 sound track was pretty decent.

l would also like to mention the soundtracks from Empire of steel (or steel empire in the US), absolutely kickin'! A kinda steam punk sh'mup game. Also Dynamite headdy is pretty funcky too!

"you ain't headlinin' if you ain't redlinin'!!"

Triquatra

United Kingdom
12,635 posts
Triquatra is a site donation subscriber Triquatra has attended 26 events
Posted - 2016/02/07 :  18:55:19  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Triquatra's homepage
Toe Jam and Earl

sense_of_hardcore

United Kingdom
45 posts
Posted - 2016/02/07 :  20:33:43  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit sense_of_hardcore's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Gaz mace-E 1988:
I completely agree! Finally somebody understands haha. I've only learnt recently of Michael Jacksons involvement, I was quite surprised but after watching a video on YouTube making comparisons I was blown away!

Yeah I read an article recently which pretty much confirmed his involvement although the credit went to Brad Buxer who has collaborated with Michael Jackson. If you listen to "Stranger in Moscow" you will find it was based on the "Sonic 3 End Credits" track.

I'm still not entirely sure why Michael Jackson wasn't credited whether it was because SEGA were concerned about the allegations of sexual abuse which came out around the time or because Michael Jackson was disappointed with the limitations of the sound output on a SEGA Megadrive/Genesis. But apparently he was a big fan of the Sonic games which was why he wanted to work on the project.

quote:
Sonic 3 & knuckles has got to be one of my all time favourite games, with a kick ass soundtrack to boot!

It's a timeless game, I've completed it at least 10 times and is one of those games I revisit every couple years or so. It's my favourite Sonic game by far.

I used to have the PC version where the soundtrack was a bit different regarding Carnival Night, Ice Cap and Launch Base zones - that's probably an interesting story in itself. But yeah I agree it's one of my favourite video game soundtracks.

quote:
Never played streets of rage 2, its quite expensive these days, I don't usually like playing emulated games and prefer physical copys, tho SOR 1 sound track was pretty decent.

The SOR soundtracks were supposedly quite revolutionary for the time as they had a strong techno, house, hardcore, rave etc. feel. I liked the first game but my favourite is the second.

I'd recommend listening to this:

Audio Warfare
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
3,046 posts
Audio Warfare has attended 19 events
Posted - 2016/02/08 :  19:06:29  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Audio Warfare's homepage
I remember the audio being really grating in general on the Megadrive tbh! Sonic, Streets of Rage, Road Rash and a few others have some stand out bits though.

Samination
Advanced Member

Sweden
13,073 posts

195 hardcore releases
Samination has attended 17 events
Posted - 2016/02/08 :  19:08:22  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Samination's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Audio Warfare:
I remember the audio being really grating in general on the Megadrive tbh! Sonic, Streets of Rage, Road Rash and a few others have some stand out bits though.

yea, the sounds the mega drive could produce where shocking, especially for the game that looks like they where originally made for amiga

http://samination.se/
---------------------------------------------

Edited by - Samination on 2016/02/08 19:11:56

New PostPost Reply
 Printer friendly
  Verified artist
   Donating member How to donate

It took 1.05 ninja's to process this page!

HappyHardcore.com

1999 - 2024 HappyHardcore.com
audio: PRS for music. Build: 3.1.73.1

Go to top of page