Total online 1788
 Radio listeners 160+
Email Us!
Username: Password:

Lost password
 Remember my login 

All forums
 Music production & Gear talk
 Now Is The Time (Kurt rmx) & bouncy basses!
 Printer friendly

All users can post new topics in this forum. All users can reply to topics in this forum

Author Thread  
Elliott
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,137 posts
Posted - 2016/10/06 :  22:56:21  Show profile Send a private message
Anyone have any idea how to get a super bouncy bass sound like Kurt's bass in this track? It's one of the bounciest I've ever heard. It's great!

Obviously I've dicked around with note length, ADSR envelopes and all the obvious stuff but it seems to be more to do with the wave forms and layering and I can't get anything even close to this bouncy. I guess you want something with a bit of a transient instead of the more flat sound I usually get in Sylenth by just modulating a saw osc, lower-octave sine osc and some combination of trisaw, triangle, and square.

I'd appreciate any tips on getting bouncier basses (except the obvious like cut a 6th off the note length, give it a slight attack, change the sustain and decay etc.). I've got kick/bass combos that you can obviously nod your head to but a lot of '00s hardcore achieves incredible bounce in the kick/bass combo and I haven't quite got there yet.

Let me give you an example of my best kick/bass combo right now in terms of bounce (check at 1:10 into this):

(also quick shoutout to Sparkz for the kick that has massively helped me in getting the sound I want <3)

For anyone who hasn't heard Kurt's Now Is The Time remix:

Alert moderator

Edited by - Elliott on 2016/10/07 00:19:40
Elliott
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,137 posts
Posted - 2016/10/07 :  00:06:52  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Elliott's homepage
Squad-E was also very good at making those basses in the '00s. His had an almost donk-ish quality to them. I'd love to be able to make one like that. My aim is to basically create hardcore that sounds exactly like the mid-to-late '00s stuff and keep creating it forever to keep the sound alive. I'm like that guy who was obsessed with Hixxy's B-Trax era and wanted to do nothing but recreate tracks in that style. Except I'm less weird. And the style I'm after is less limited.

Something like his Sweetheart bass:

Alert moderator Go to top of page
Edited by - Elliott on 2016/10/07 00:13:52
Smoogie
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
6,480 posts
Posted - 2016/10/07 :  09:14:33  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Smoogie's homepage
Not bad tunes!

I am following you on Soundcloud and have a few new tunes up of my own.

No idea how Kurt makes his tunes though.

Elliott
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,137 posts
Posted - 2016/10/08 :  22:43:07  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Elliott's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Smoogie:
Not bad tunes!

I am following you on Soundcloud and have a few new tunes up of my own.

No idea how Kurt makes his tunes though.

Thanks mate. I'll check you out next time I get on SC. :)

ViolonC
Average Member

Germany
243 posts
ViolonC has attended 2 events
Posted - 2016/10/14 :  16:07:55  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit ViolonC's homepage
Well, most of it is in the ADSR and proper layering.

Try this: two layers, one for the transient and one for the tone. Shorten midi notes to 16th. Open the release a little, have (almost) no attack. For the first layer have a very short decay and reduce the sustain a least 10db. For the second layer have a slightly longer decay and (almost) no sustain reduction. Balance them so the attack of the first osz punches through.

Using a compressor with short attack can also work if it produces desirable distortion. Also a very short pitch envelop can increase the punch.

Elliott
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,137 posts
Posted - 2016/10/18 :  02:20:09  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Elliott's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by ViolonC:
Well, most of it is in the ADSR and proper layering.

Try this: two layers, one for the transient and one for the tone. Shorten midi notes to 16th. Open the release a little, have (almost) no attack. For the first layer have a very short decay and reduce the sustain a least 10db. For the second layer have a slightly longer decay and (almost) no sustain reduction. Balance them so the attack of the first osz punches through.

Using a compressor with short attack can also work if it produces desirable distortion. Also a very short pitch envelop can increase the punch.

Seems legit. Thanks mate.

Yeah, I think layering in the crucial step I'm missing. It's hard to get a decent transient and overall bass with one synth, as I've discovered firsthand. I guess I'll **** around with this later then. :)

New PostPost Reply
 Printer friendly
  Verified artist
   Donating member How to donate

It took 0.92 ninja's to process this page!

HappyHardcore.com

1999 - 2024 HappyHardcore.com
audio: PRS for music. Build: 3.1.73.1

Go to top of page