Printer friendly
Page: 
of 3

Author Thread  
Vladel
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,514 posts
Posted - 2017/01/09 :  22:22:19  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Vladel's homepage  Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by warped_candykid:
I don't know where to start about the current affair of Hardcore.

I feel songs have become so soft. There is no hard to the the core anymore in those bass lines, Many tracks have that mushy, smooth drum that has very little kick to it, and many tracks have that same watery-synth, or the gritty hi-pitch synth.

It's hard to believe how many tracks don't even reach 5-6 minutes, and how bland the intros/outros have become.

Gammer posted the other day that 2017 will be the year for Happy Hardcore...Someone please tell me where this happy hardcore is at, because I haven't heard ANYTHING from TWR sounding like happy hardcore. Al Storm & Scott Brown, now that's another thing: Their releases actually have some happy hardcore memories to them.

Fracus & Darwin...Pretty much the 'underground' equivalent of Gammer and Styles. Their productions are also starting to flow down this 'same-sounding' slope. You would think two artists who have so much influential power would try to bring back the harder cheese to this genre, especially Darwin, who use to write some great raw-sounding material.

Which brings me to my last point: Where did all the cheesy hardcore go? Where did all the happy mid-sections go? Where did the vocal effects go? Will 2017 see the return of these things?

Big Thanks to Al Storm for keeping the core alive, & Scott Brown for keeping tracks released at a steady pace!

I seriously hate the really short and plain intros like the Fracus & darwin remix of starface last year (just one of many by a lot of people). Take for instance Reflux & Joey Riot - the other side, apart from sounding a bit TWR but better, the intro ruins the song for mixing.

This goes for a lot of tracks now.

Alert moderator Go to top of page
Samination
Advanced Member

Sweden
13,073 posts

195 hardcore releases
Samination has attended 17 events
Posted - 2017/01/10 :  05:28:41  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Samination's homepage  Reply with quote
Will it contain pictures of our poster boy Darren Styles in compromising position?

Why not some of those images Sy was watching? *hears the police sirens outside*

http://samination.se/
---------------------------------------------

Cyrax
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
623 posts
Cyrax has attended 9 events
Posted - 2017/01/10 :  08:56:52  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Cyrax's homepage  Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by Vladel:
quote:
I don't know where to start about the current affair of Hardcore.

I feel songs have become so soft. There is no hard to the the core anymore in those bass lines, Many tracks have that mushy, smooth drum that has very little kick to it, and many tracks have that same watery-synth, or the gritty hi-pitch synth.

It's hard to believe how many tracks don't even reach 5-6 minutes, and how bland the intros/outros have become.

Gammer posted the other day that 2017 will be the year for Happy Hardcore...Someone please tell me where this happy hardcore is at, because I haven't heard ANYTHING from TWR sounding like happy hardcore. Al Storm & Scott Brown, now that's another thing: Their releases actually have some happy hardcore memories to them.

Fracus & Darwin...Pretty much the 'underground' equivalent of Gammer and Styles. Their productions are also starting to flow down this 'same-sounding' slope. You would think two artists who have so much influential power would try to bring back the harder cheese to this genre, especially Darwin, who use to write some great raw-sounding material.

Which brings me to my last point: Where did all the cheesy hardcore go? Where did all the happy mid-sections go? Where did the vocal effects go? Will 2017 see the return of these things?

Big Thanks to Al Storm for keeping the core alive, & Scott Brown for keeping tracks released at a steady pace!

I seriously hate the really short and plain intros like the Fracus & darwin remix of starface last year (just one of many by a lot of people). Take for instance Reflux & Joey Riot - the other side, apart from sounding a bit TWR but better, the intro ruins the song for mixing.

This goes for a lot of tracks now.

A 12 bar intro into a boom/breakdown is a piece of piss to mix though :)

djDMS
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
10,304 posts

572 hardcore releases
djDMS has donated money to the site djDMS has attended 43 events
Posted - 2017/01/10 :  13:22:52  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit djDMS's homepage  Reply with quote
My 2016 review.

I met Cyrax.

Nothing more to say.

Cyrax
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
623 posts
Cyrax has attended 9 events
Posted - 2017/01/10 :  14:31:30  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Cyrax's homepage  Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by djDMS:
My 2016 review.

I met Cyrax.

Nothing more to say.

was it good for you?

djDMS
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
10,304 posts

572 hardcore releases
djDMS has donated money to the site djDMS has attended 43 events
Posted - 2017/01/10 :  16:56:21  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit djDMS's homepage  Reply with quote
The best

Jacco
Average Member

Unknown
166 posts
Posted - 2017/01/10 :  23:44:44  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Jacco's homepage  Reply with quote
Look at this old Twista tune. 11 12-bars with a full on kick

Now look at this 2016 tune. One 12 bar soft intro and then only 3 12-bars which are NOT breakdown

If you put lot's of these in a set it becomes super stop starty and you never build up a good level of energy. Shame really.

I've tapped a lot into the stuff from Japan this year and really liked it. My Favorites:
Titancube, Katomori - Pixelated Pandora
Daniel Seven - Momentum
Daniel Seven - Pitstop
Gammer - Yabai
天音 - Last Resort

Also super happy to see Steven Davidson back. Touch The Sky is defo one of my favs 2016.

Edited by - Jacco on 2017/01/10 23:47:11
Samination
Advanced Member

Sweden
13,073 posts

195 hardcore releases
Posted - 2017/01/11 :  05:35:14  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Samination's homepage  Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jacco:
Look at this old Twista tune. 11 12-bars with a full on kick

Now look at this 2016 tune. One 12 bar soft intro and then only 3 12-bars which are NOT breakdown

If you put lot's of these in a set it becomes super stop starty and you never build up a good level of energy. Shame really.

I've tapped a lot into the stuff from Japan this year and really liked it. My Favorites:
Titancube, Katomori - Pixelated Pandora
Daniel Seven - Momentum
Daniel Seven - Pitstop
Gammer - Yabai
天音 - Last Resort

Also super happy to see Steven Davidson back. Touch The Sky is defo one of my favs 2016.

I still prefer these over Freeform's currently long midsection without any real melody to them. Y'all can complain about them making the tracks shorter, when it's infact that they have problems filling longer tracks -.-

Edited by - Samination on 2017/01/11 05:35:58
Elliott
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,137 posts
Posted - 2017/01/11 :  17:04:24  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Elliott's homepage  Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by Samination:
Top "I should hate them because of all my rants, yet I still like them" Track
Gammer - Pig>:<Face (D&G edit)

At least you're ashamed

Elliott
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,137 posts
Posted - 2017/01/11 :  17:07:19  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Elliott's homepage  Reply with quote
quote:

I called this years ago just as it was starting to happen. I got ripped. Now I'm more right than ever.

Those of us who don't whack off into an official F&D sock every night could see that there was really very little difference between what they were doing and the shit the top tier were churning out.

CDJay
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
3,049 posts
Posted - 2017/01/11 :  17:54:33  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit CDJay's homepage  Reply with quote
I don't think that's entirely fair; in the space of 5 years they put out 4 stylistically varied artist albums. *FAR* more varied than any other casual baiting act past or present.

I can't really see stuff like "Cross The Line" "Turn Back Time" "Oh Yeah" "Break These Records" et al coming out of any other label or modern act.

I've always said that the biggest problem is that the people with the stature and standing to be interesting and take risks just don't. I/We have no plans to start wearing hypocrisy any time soon.

CDJay

Edited by - CDJay on 2017/01/11 17:55:23
CDJay
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
3,049 posts
Posted - 2017/01/11 :  23:20:48  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit CDJay's homepage  Reply with quote
Actually, it's anecdote time. Everyone knows the Blu The Roof project is late, but the *END* of that is a track called "Join Us Now" where we got people up on stage and everyone who backed and supported it is on stage and hugging and happy.

If anyone can see that happening outside our compromised remit then their imagination is worth its weight in gold.

CDJay

The drunken scotsman
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,486 posts
Posted - 2017/01/12 :  02:21:28  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit The drunken scotsman's homepage  Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by Elliott:
quote:

I called this years ago just as it was starting to happen. I got ripped. Now I'm more right than ever.

Those of us who don't whack off into an official F&D sock every night could see that there was really very little difference between what they were doing and the shit the top tier were churning out.

Fair play, it seems like sacrilege posting anything negative about F&D on this forum. To be perfectly honest I've never been a massive fan of them. There is the odd track that I've liked, but I've always thought that the praise they seem to get on here is a bit OTT. I think I must be missing something, but I just find that most of their productions are a bit bland.

Samination
Advanced Member

Sweden
13,073 posts

195 hardcore releases
Posted - 2017/01/12 :  05:49:37  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Samination's homepage  Reply with quote
I don't give a f* if I type crap about them on here :P

I disliked their albums for being to much breaky, but then they were an Artist(s) Album, not a Hardcore Album.

Edited by - Samination on 2017/01/12 05:52:08
Triquatra

United Kingdom
12,635 posts
Triquatra is a site donation subscriber Triquatra has attended 26 events
Posted - 2017/01/12 :  12:11:31  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Triquatra's homepage  Reply with quote
2016 was basically the year I gave up listening to new hardcore entirely

Haven't really had the money to buy anything, used to be massively into freeform (1996 - 2006) then something funky happened and the design and mastering of the tracks just got more squished and ...pinpointed (?) toward club speakers or something to the point where it just wasn't enjoyable anymore.

The most exciting thing I heard in hardcore in 2016 was when Jon Doe played a clip of a track on a live stream from a guy who was "big in trance" that they'd asked to make a freeform track (I have a fair guess as to who it was) and that track sounded awesome; in all respects.

As for new UK Hardcore I didn't hear much and like I mentioned earlier....I dunno i just don't get on with new dance music, so much seems to have bulky low end and huge high ends and hollow in the middle and it's exhausting to listen to and not pleasant.

I rather fear I belong in the past, where happy hardcore was stupid, image didn't seem to matter and neither did the mastering. It's not like that anymore, which is fine; it doesn't take away from my enjoyment of what came before.

----------------
entirely off topic, but saw Blu The Roooof was mentioned a few times in the previous comments here,
CdJay: I'm guessing a few of us (including myself) have moved house since the kickstarter was kicked off so our addresses will no longer be valid. Is something going to happen around the time to make sure they all go to the right places? Hope everyone at HU is doing well, I'm looking forward to happy hardcore underground 2!

New PostPost Reply
Topic is 3 pages long: 1  2  3
 Printer friendly
  Verified artist
   Donating member How to donate

It took 1.2 ninja's to process this page!

HappyHardcore.com

1999 - 2024 HappyHardcore.com
audio: PRS for music. Build: 3.1.73.1

Go to top of page