Lost password
 Remember my login 
 All forums
 Music production & Gear talk
 Best DJ Controllers for newbies?
 Printer friendly
Page: 
of 2

All users can post new topics in this forum. All users can reply to topics in this forum

Author Thread  
PecheyTheLizard
Average Member

United States
172 posts
Posted - 2017/03/09 :  12:21:43  Show profile Send a private message  Visit PecheyTheLizard's homepage
So I'm planning on investing in a DJ Controller this summer while I work my summer job, and I have been researching and have been sticking with pioneer for quite some time, but I feel as though I need some expert opinions!
--------------------------
What would you guys say is the best controller for newbies? Ithink the most of be willing to spend is $750. I would love to have the file explorer and viewer function but it's not needed, just something I'd probably feel more comfortable with so I wouldn't have to have my laptop laying around

Thanks KS guys!

Alert moderator
DjZelous
Advanced Member

United States
553 posts
Posted - 2017/03/09 :  18:14:32  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit DjZelous's homepage
If you are just starting go for the numark mixtrack, if you want somthing more beefy, check out the Pioneer ddj-sx you can find them for about 600$ american on craigslist.

Alert moderator Go to top of page
Samination
Advanced Member

Sweden
13,072 posts

195 hardcore releases
Samination has attended 17 events
Posted - 2017/03/10 :  06:15:24  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Samination's homepage
want to use what I started with? Hercules MP3 DJ Controller :P

http://samination.se/
---------------------------------------------

PecheyTheLizard
Average Member

United States
172 posts
Posted - 2017/03/10 :  12:11:44  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit PecheyTheLizard's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Samination:
want to use what I started with? Hercules MP3 DJ Controller :P

Well that depends on how much you liked it! Did it have any flaws? ;P

Samination
Advanced Member

Sweden
13,072 posts

195 hardcore releases
Samination has attended 17 events
Posted - 2017/03/10 :  12:22:47  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Samination's homepage
it did what i wanted. Play the track and had quickbuttons for effects (originally made for vdj 4, so i had 3 effects at one time, compared to vdj5+ which changed to only use one effect at a time unless you re-mapp the controller to fixed effects)

http://samination.se/
---------------------------------------------

ViperStar

Singapore
123 posts
Posted - 2017/03/16 :  09:18:17  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit ViperStar's homepage
Late reply here but if you're after a decent controller I'd pick the DDJ-RB. While it doesn't have the file explorer and viewer function on itself, you're able to do most of what a club gear can do (maybe even more) while on a budget via Rekordbox DJ.

Since it comes with Rekordbox DJ license, you can use it with any other Pioneer gear (both controller and CDJs). I'm currently using it while I'm away for studies overseas and don't have my CDJ setup with me.

Alternatively, I'm not sure if you can find a used XDJ-R1 in your country at around $750 but you might get lucky! That one is pretty much a portable version of a normal club setup with USB, CD and also all the FX etc. I'd pick that over any of the other Pioneer controllers including the XDJ-RX simply based on cost and features you get.

Founder of the Singapore Hardcore Crew: www.facebook.com/SGHardcore
Personal DJ FB Page Link: www.facebook.com/DJViperStar

Captain Triceps
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
2,184 posts
Posted - 2017/03/16 :  11:03:57  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Captain Triceps's homepage
I bought a Pioneer DDJ-SR, it arrived yesterday. ~500 sheets on finance. Blinding piece of kit so far. It came with a full version of Serato, which I'm yet to get used to - I used Virtual DJ for years and the interface on that is so much better in my opinion but I'm sure I'll get the hang of it before long.
The Pioneer DDJ SB looks like a decent machine at about 200 notes for those on a budget, I nearly got that but thought I'd treat myself.
I was using a Hercules DJ Control Instinct that I had bought for me after some pillock broke my old Numark Omni Control. It's about the size of a video tape and very basic but if you simply want to give mixing a go to see if DJing is for you, they are surprisingly good. There aren't as many buttons as a more expensive controller but you can still so pretty much anything your software will let you. You can scratch as well as on any other controller as well.
http://www.juno.co.uk/products/hercules-dj-control-instinct-s-dj-controller/608282-01//?currency=GBP&flt=1&gclid=CNqT58vv2tICFTAo0wodBrENpQ

https://soundcloud.com/paulbradley1982

PecheyTheLizard
Average Member

United States
172 posts
Posted - 2017/03/16 :  12:00:20  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit PecheyTheLizard's homepage
You guys are never late for a reply! I'll be deciding until around may through August, but I'm planning to get my controller my first paycheck (my paychecks are a hefty $500+ every 2 weeks)

I've been eyeballing a few controllers, but I honestly feel like going for the DDJ SR Pro to treat myself to something nice. I'll be playing around with it for a while anyways. Plus I'm just wanting to get one for a hobby, not really as a job opportunity seeing as I'm in college.

While on this subject, I keep hearing about mixers. Should I get one with my controller to expand my mixing? I heard they have multi band mixers that go with these and I'm pretty sure I should also invest one one as well. But do correct me since my knowledge on gear is complete shite lol. Cheers, guys!

Edited by - PecheyTheLizard on 2017/03/16 12:01:55
Captain Triceps
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
2,184 posts
Posted - 2017/03/16 :  13:11:04  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Captain Triceps's homepage
You won't need to buy a mixer as well, the controllers have them built in. Especially as you are only doing it as a hobby, no need to buy one.

Like I said, with that Pioneer DDJ-SR, you can use the full version of Serato without needing to buy a licence or upgrade or anything. Cheaper controllers are usually bundled with crap software or trimmed down "demo" versions you need to pay to unlock. So that is another plus.

ViperStar

Singapore
123 posts
Posted - 2017/03/17 :  11:36:07  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit ViperStar's homepage
If you got a DJ store near you just try them out and see which fits your needs better. Things to consider are:

1) are you happy with 2 decks or do you need 4? - If you're not going all technical in your mixing, I'd say 2 is fine.

2) how much fx control do you need? - Again, if using fx isn't quite your style of mixing and you won't need anything more than basic control, then just get the lower end units.

3) any plans to switch to CDJs in the future? - If you are, then the "R" (rekordbox dj) range will probably be more worth your money so you don't have to buy the software if you were to grab say...the ancient CDJ 400 which works with rekordbox dj but not the free rekordbox. If no, then the "S" (serato) range will be fine but they generally only have intro licenses which do not have full features if I remember from the time I used a DDJ-SB before upgrading to the DDJ-RB.

4) do you care about the sound of the fx? If you want it to sound like Pioneer DJM effects then you should pick the "R" range...otherwise, serato or traktor controllers will be fine too (personally I don't quite like them being used to my CDJ/DJM setup)

5) 2nd hand gear ain't a bad idea! If you want something better, you might get lucky with used stuff that are still in pristine condition at a great price! Just make sure you inspect them properly before buying

Founder of the Singapore Hardcore Crew: www.facebook.com/SGHardcore
Personal DJ FB Page Link: www.facebook.com/DJViperStar

PecheyTheLizard
Average Member

United States
172 posts
Posted - 2017/03/17 :  14:01:17  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit PecheyTheLizard's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by ViperStar:
If you got a DJ store near you just try them out and see which fits your needs better. Things to consider are:

1) are you happy with 2 decks or do you need 4? - If you're not going all technical in your mixing, I'd say 2 is fine.

2) how much fx control do you need? - Again, if using fx isn't quite your style of mixing and you won't need anything more than basic control, then just get the lower end units.

3) any plans to switch to CDJs in the future? - If you are, then the "R" (rekordbox dj) range will probably be more worth your money so you don't have to buy the software if you were to grab say...the ancient CDJ 400 which works with rekordbox dj but not the free rekordbox. If no, then the "S" (serato) range will be fine but they generally only have intro licenses which do not have full features if I remember from the time I used a DDJ-SB before upgrading to the DDJ-RB.

4) do you care about the sound of the fx? If you want it to sound like Pioneer DJM effects then you should pick the "R" range...otherwise, serato or traktor controllers will be fine too (personally I don't quite like them being used to my CDJ/DJM setup)

5) 2nd hand gear ain't a bad idea! If you want something better, you might get lucky with used stuff that are still in pristine condition at a great price! Just make sure you inspect them properly before buying

Thanks for the help viper!
Sadly, in my little hick town in Ohio, DJing is just a myth to these backwater people. So I have no DJ Stores that I know near me, and I'm not willing to travel to Columbus to find one lol.

Personally, I want to get a controller that will be the best for my money without having to buy any extra programs or upgrades for programs. So if CDJ is one of the better options, then I may shoot for that. I have no problem with having two movers since I'm not really wanting to get too technical. I just want to have some fun mixing without it being way too much. I may move up in mixers in the future but for right now, I want the perfect amount of FX for my money's worth and a nice sturdy controller that is known for its quality. I much love pioneers look and I would love to get a nice one between $500-750 on Amazon or maybe a well recommended DJ Equipment site!

Thanks for the help guys, you two are being awesome!

Captain Triceps
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
2,184 posts
Posted - 2017/03/17 :  15:57:29  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Captain Triceps's homepage
To accompany Vipers point number 5, also see if the online stores you're looking at have "B-stock", that could be display models or unused returns, that sort of thing. They will be more or less as good as new, and have the same warranties as new stock.

CDJs have been mentioned. I think in this day and age, CDJs are good if you are likely to be playing gigs at venues with CDJs, but if you are just wanting to mix for fun at home, a controller is a much more ideal. I didn't fancy the idea until recently, but buying blank CDs and writing CDs that I might hardly use was becoming tiresome. You can download compilations and collections for peanuts from places like Juno download for instance, and they are just there, waiting for you to play on your PC, rather than writing several CDs.
I don't want to sound like I'm discouraging CDJs or even vinyl, but you wouldn't want to pay a lot of money for something you might not think is for you.

Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,511 posts
Posted - 2017/03/17 :  19:02:38  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Guest's homepage
going on the fact nobody has ever mixed a real mix on a controller besides me, go for a vms5 which is ?300 retail, look abit gay to a vms4.1, but has all the same hardware and outputs

its the same as the vms4.1, except they stole my traktor mapping, and other nags i said and forgot to send me a free 1

no retard beat sync rolling club mix, first mix is abit shit as far as levels go

a random can't be bothered mix

Edited by - Guest on 2017/03/17 19:11:32
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,511 posts
Posted - 2017/03/18 :  08:21:36  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Guest's homepage
you will have the added bonus of not needing a audio interface with a VMS, just plug the USB cable in, and its full USB DAC and able to be used with the hardware mixer instead of software in traktor/vdj

on a VMS4.1, you have to press cue 4 down for 4 seconds, and switch the VMS off, then hold cue 4 down again, and switch it back on, and the ASIO control panel first number digit should switch to 1 if you want the hardware mixer and EQ's to fully work

real nags with VMS4.1, are the FX controls, not being smooth 360s, so they should be fixed on VMS5 and not be stepped

and all the shiz you have to pay ?1200 for, it has everything besides built in screens and all made out of metal, so it can take blim burns, stella spills, and sugar puffs and the average life in a council flat

the last thing you want is pioneer, the sound cards suck like seperate mixers and nobody can mix on them, they just give you white noise and rubbish bass, and you need audio interfaces for everything

Edited by - Guest on 2017/03/18 08:25:18
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,511 posts
Posted - 2017/03/18 :  08:57:19  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Guest's homepage
once you have the hardware mixer working, you can plug in vinyl decks and mixing vinyl with digital does'nt sound real trash, and switch channels back and forth with a switch on the front

Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,511 posts
Posted - 2017/03/18 :  09:49:38  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Guest's homepage
found someone who is actually nearly mixing, you all can still buy me one of these

i'll setup a new gofundme for you all, just chuck me a fiver each, 1200 be reached easy

Edited by - Guest on 2017/03/18 09:50:34

New PostPost Reply
Topic is 2 pages long: 1  2
 Printer friendly
  Verified artist
   Donating member How to donate

It took 2.05 ninja's to process this page!

HappyHardcore.com

1999 - 2024 HappyHardcore.com
audio: PRS for music. Build: 3.1.73.1

Go to top of page