Email Us!
Username: Password:

Lost password
 Remember my login 

All forums
 General discussion
 General Discussion in Music Formats
 Printer friendly

All users can post new topics in this forum. All users can reply to topics in this forum

Author Thread  
lewiscanon

United Kingdom
71 posts
Posted - 2017/03/25 :  09:07:55  Show profile Send a private message
Hi Guys,

Here is a question I have just thought as ma folks are having a house conversion I am going through some music & films I wanna keep. I am currently backing up music I wanna listen ir may wanna listen in the near future I am using the Windows Media Players rip features & when I choose mp3 & 320kbps fir optimum quality, here is ma question whit is the difference between the other 8 formats?

Alert moderator
Elipton
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,268 posts
Elipton has attended 2 events
Posted - 2017/03/25 :  10:32:02  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Elipton's homepage
Mp3, for all intents and purposes is much more universally compatible. WMA has conversion issues on mobile phones (such as android), WAV inflates the file size. AU is highly compressed for Unix systems. The list can go on and on and on.

Just do MP3 for the best quality/file size ratio. When it comes to headphone music, It's exactly what you need. If you play out or have plenty of storage space, 16b wave is perfect for it's uncompressed media.

Alert moderator Go to top of page
lewiscanon

United Kingdom
71 posts
Posted - 2017/03/25 :  11:38:17  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit lewiscanon's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Elipton:
Mp3, for all intents and purposes is much more universally compatible. WMA has conversion issues on mobile phones (such as android), WAV inflates the file size. AU is highly compressed for Unix systems. The list can go on and on and on.

Just do MP3 for the best quality/file size ratio. When it comes to headphone music, It's exactly what you need. If you play out or have plenty of storage space, 16b wave is perfect for it's uncompressed media.

Ty Bud fir the info ye just shared I was curious I was seeing Flac in google searches & was curious ti wondering whit is the best audio format ti go fir when it comes ti quality (Y) ;) Hope ye have a good weekend bud!

Samination
Advanced Member

Sweden
13,072 posts

195 hardcore releases
Samination has attended 17 events
Posted - 2017/03/26 :  07:35:00  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Samination's homepage
For best compatibility and overall accessibility: MP3 (frauenhofer or lame codec), preferbly max bitrate at CBR320kb. I've seen talks about VBR v0 or any tweaked VBR settings are better, but I have to yet to see that (so, you can save up to a MB of data, but have fun trying to playback a with a corrupted MP3 with VBR if you dont know how to fix the stream).

For backup and overall quality: FLAC. Lossless, but not as large as WAV, but still bigger than MP3. The lack of support from mayor hardware developers is sad though. ALAC is a good alternativ for Apple product users. FLAC and ALAC is prefered over WAV since you can, based on Codec standards, add information tags on FLAC and ALAC. (You can add tags to WAV aswell, but it's not a standard so it's not certain media players will accept those. Worst case scenario would be having an unplayable track)

For best compression but containing as much quality as possible: OGG. Lossy version of FLAC. Bitrates can go up to ~500kbps. Same problems with compatibility as FLAC.

http://samination.se/
---------------------------------------------

Edited by - Samination on 2017/03/26 07:38:56
ViolonC
Average Member

Germany
243 posts
ViolonC has attended 2 events
Posted - 2017/03/26 :  12:30:42  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit ViolonC's homepage
What Sam said.

-> FLAC. All players that can't play flac should be avoided anyway. File size shouldn't be an issue today except for streaming. If it really is the apple formats or ogg are the best solutions.

If you're a DJ be aware that that most of the older players can play non of the above. Then it's mp3 320kbs.

New PostPost Reply
 Printer friendly
  Verified artist
   Donating member How to donate

It took 0.98 ninja's to process this page!

HappyHardcore.com

1999 - 2024 HappyHardcore.com
audio: PRS for music. Build: 3.1.73.1

Go to top of page