Email Us!
Username: Password:

Lost password
 Remember my login 

All forums
 Tracks, DJ mixes & release announcements
 Brainstorming a new label
 Printer friendly

All users can post new topics in this forum. All users can reply to topics in this forum

Author Thread  
PecheyTheLizard
Average Member

United States
172 posts
Posted - 2017/12/20 :  13:37:22  Show profile Send a private message  Visit PecheyTheLizard's homepage
Hey guys, so basically im brainstorming a new idea for a label and I need some input from the community, here's what I posted on Facebook:

"Hey Y'all
I've had an idea swimming through my head for months but I'm not sure if people would read through such a mundane idea from such a small, lowly artist.

But I've been wanting to delve into small time management of a new kind of label that specializes in the 04-08 sound (based on my love for hardcore at that time), I'd love for this to be a thing but I just wanted to see if people would be willing enough to be involved.

Basically, this label (which has a name in progress, but I won't mention that unless people are interested) will allow for lower/higher know artists (if they chose so) to release their tracks and get their names out there. The mode of creating music need not be limited to a DAW for those who love to make music in Amiga or other types of trackers. I'd love to have an album dedicated to this sound because there are obviously people out there who are in love with the sound and would love more output (I'm partially one to this, but I do enjoy me some modern hardcore as well) from the older style. The label would welcome genres from the likes of Freeform, UK Hardcore (from any year in the history of hardcore), gabber, Breakbeat hardcore, big kick hardcore as well as any other core that fits into the sound the scene has produced.

I know that it's hard to get your name out in the scene,especially if you're a young'n like me, so I'm hoping and taking my chances with this by obviously throwing this idea out there. Any artist is welcome and if you are so, hit me up. I do have a busy schedule (when college is going on, which it isn't right now) but I'm always free to talk and chat! Send me your demos, send me your ideas and I will consider your submissions~

I'd of course need help with administrating and general running god this label so if you feel as though you'd love to run with me, give me some advice! (Obviously you need some experience, I have no full idea of what I'm doing lol).

Thanks guys, we the artists are the ones who keep the scene alive! Let's make tunes everyone will love!"

Alert moderator
_Jay_
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
6,868 posts
_Jay_ has attended 41 events
Posted - 2017/12/20 :  15:12:09  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit _Jay_'s homepage

Firstly; good luck, mate. I would very much like to see a label reflecting the sound of that era succeed. So I hope it goes well.

I haven't run a label myself. I flirted with the idea for years, but never found the time or energy to really do it. Not in the way that I would have wanted to. So I don't have any experience, per se, but hopefully some of these thoughts are helpful (acknowledging that most, if not all, would probably have crossed your mind already).

Think about what needs to be achieved for you personally to feel rewarded, and that the label is successful. If you've got high expectations for the amount of copies you want to put out/sell and the amount of people you want to reach, you'll have to be realistic that that will take time - possibly a long time - to achieve. During that time, you've got to remain consistently focused and enthusiastic. Possibly even with only modest feedback to keep you going. For some people, just the process of organising a label, event or website and being involved in "the scene" is reward enough. And that's great! That was basically my attitude when I ran my blog for a few years.

Decide from the outset whether you're willing to personally invest some meaningful money into it. Possibly by getting a few more established names to produce some tracks for the initial releases to raise the profile of the label from the outset. As well as that, think about whether you're going to pay artists a flat fee for a track, or a cut of any possible sales (and, with that, think about whether you want to distribute the tracks independently or through TID/Juno/Beatport etc who take big, big percentages).

Set things up properly. Pay someone a few bucks to design/produce a good logo. Brand all social media/SoundCloud accounts and label artwork consistently.

Be regular with social media but absolutely don't spam. There's got to be a balance. I have quite a high tolerance for it, but even I get fcuked off with the constant spamming by some people.

Decide whether you want to release tracks that make you buzz, or that you think appeals more broadly to a potential fanbase. Whatever you do, don't put out a track that you think is anything other than exceptional. Have a standard and maintain it.

Consider whether you've got discipline enough to run the label with impartiality, or whether you think you, even with good intentions, may use the label as a vehicle to push your own productions.

Just a few thoughts. If I think of anything else, I'll add to this post!

Alert moderator Go to top of page
Edited by - _Jay_ on 2017/12/20 15:27:57
PecheyTheLizard
Average Member

United States
172 posts
Posted - 2017/12/20 :  15:41:12  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit PecheyTheLizard's homepage
Oh wow, thanks for the meaningful and positive output there Jay, it means a lot!
I have been pretty enthusiastic about the idea of this for a while but I haven't exactly had time to do much because of college. This is a little project I'd love to build upon since music in the scene has been getting a lot of flack from these grumpy old Ravers. This whole idea was to bring new ideas in the form of older styled tracks, so having some input truly means a lot.

I do have a couple of label owning friends on Facebook but I really don't want to embarrass myself by approaching them and asking for ideas and such because oof, they are just as busy if not BUSIER than a little puny guy like myself trying to start a label. I just would love to see output from artists unknown as well as highly known coming through by going back to the oldschool roots, but I'm completely unsure if. Should contact such people lol.

Captain Triceps
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
2,184 posts
Posted - 2017/12/20 :  16:38:34  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Captain Triceps's homepage
Yeah, definitely approach them, I'm sure they wouldn't mind in the least.
As long as you aren't creating a rivalry or copying them, or poaching their artists or something. More music getting out is always good.
"Stupid questions are better than stupid mistakes." No one wants to see your label crash and burn, ask as many people as you know own a label for any advice. Also people who have owned labels in the past, maybe there are reasons they are no longer label owners.

Look at this website:
https://www.label-worx.com/

Someone pointed it out to me the other week as a way to get more of my tunes out, I mean I have no interest in starting a label at this time but he seemed to think that was a good platform for releasing music.

Also, get a release schedule ready for say a month or two in the future. Give the promos to radio DJs, there's a good one on Kniteforce Radio who plays Saturdays from 12-2pm, called Paul Bradley, for example ;)
But most radio DJs would take them - and in return play them on their shows and big up the label and let the listeners know when and where they can get the tunes.

https://soundcloud.com/paulbradley1982

_Jay_
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
6,868 posts
_Jay_ has attended 41 events
Posted - 2017/12/20 :  18:36:42  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit _Jay_'s homepage

Yeah good shouts from Triceps there!

Submit stuff to the HU Podcast as well. Ask Fracus and CDJay for advice as well. They are safe as fcuk and I have no doubt they'll give advice freely.

New PostPost Reply
 Printer friendly
  Verified artist
   Donating member How to donate

It took 1.01 ninja's to process this page!

HappyHardcore.com

1999 - 2024 HappyHardcore.com
audio: PRS for music. Build: 3.1.73.1

Go to top of page