Email Us!
Username: Password:

Lost password
 Remember my login 

All forums
 Music production & Gear talk
 freeform
 Printer friendly

All users can post new topics in this forum. All users can reply to topics in this forum

Author Thread  
K-Hole
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,098 posts
K-Hole has donated money to the site K-Hole has attended 52 events
Posted - 2003/09/11 :  08:38:25  Show profile Send a private message
can anyone gimmie any tips on making a freeform track, i tried making one but didnt sound freeformy at all, sounded more like the hamster dance, how you create that freeform sound? :)

-----------------
Chris aka Ghost

i'll be raving at-
United Dance-sept 27th
Enigma-nov 15th

Alert moderator
mcjutt
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
564 posts
mcjutt has attended 5 events
Posted - 2003/09/11 :  10:16:39  Show profile  Send a private message
To tell you the truth Freeform doesnt realy have a set sound as its a no boundarys thing IMO.

Hopefully this next Info will get u started.

As I have said freeform doesnt realy have typical sound and boundarys but alot of records usally sound like this.

Bassline- To get the typical Freeform energy bassline sound which is awesome as ya know the track with have some "oomph" behind it. In my expierience compress the bass sound that ya have already have and put a bit of effect on it eg like compression to fatten it up and hopefully this will make a good start.

Acidy sounds- if ya can get a sound like an acidy sort of fell to it and put it in the form of a sequence to get the acid line sounds as again no set way it has to go but ive found if ya "bunch" the sequence up into little frequent sounds eg if a drum roll is just a frequent note all the way through and covers the whole of the sequence and the 16th etc etc (hope ya get what i mean)

Well that should get the start of it anyways man but other than that remember there are no rules to it and ya self crazy sounds crazy synths lush stuff.

"The only rule is there are no rules" its all hardcore man go for it!.

Respect.

Jutt.

individual you know i come to rock it
ah yes cos i always love the music
so give me the mic and ill do my thing
its the mc Jutt and im gonna get you rocking

Alert moderator Go to top of page
Kaffine

United States
474 posts

91 hardcore releases
Kaffine has donated money to the site
Posted - 2003/09/11 :  12:46:08  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Kaffine's homepage
Try battling really thin-banded FM synthesis with fat analog bass and pads. With the right progression and filtering that'll give the nu-energy sound you're looking for (acid helps, as well.)

-dj h3o

All I know is that to me, you look like you're lots of fun, open up your loving arms - watch out here I come!

Dodgee

32 posts
Dodgee is verified hardcore artist
Posted - 2003/09/21 :  22:50:21  Show profile View artist profile  Send a private message  Visit Dodgee's homepage
There are no rules. But here's some ideas ;)

Real Freeform has (or should have anyway) a very distinctive sound. It's too easy to find a big trance synth, bang out a big riff and base the whole track around it. Tweak your synths and samples till they sound how you want them to. Try layering your instruments to make the sounds fuller and more complex. Same goes for basslines, learn how to layer them and that'll go a long way towards increasing their depth.

A good bit of acid is like the staple fuel of a lot of freeform, along with similarly fast paced stab riffs, or "ticker tape" riffs as the sharkzter would describe them (If you dunno what I mean then say 'tickertapetickertapetickertape' over and over as fast as you can).

Back to the riffs thing, try not to base your track around one big trancey riff or something like that. Think a bit more deeply and have little riffs and stabs posed opposite each other, like a "question/answer" kind of thing.

Oh and one more word for ya - filterrrrrrrs. Lovely juicy filters ;)

That should get you going....

ryg0r
Advanced Member

Australia
2,807 posts

34 hardcore releases
ryg0r is verified hardcore artist ryg0r has donated money to the site ryg0r has attended 10 events
Posted - 2003/09/25 :  22:46:25  Show profile View artist profile  Send a private message
Thanks Dodgee, some sweet info there.

Filters do work. I've found that Keven NRG uses his band passes lots. Like half high pass and half low pass thingos - its friken sweet too.

-=[ryg0r]=-

Oli G
Advanced Member

United States
1,817 posts
Oli G is verified hardcore artist Oli G has donated money to the site Oli G has attended 41 events
Posted - 2003/09/26 :  11:29:20  Show profile View artist profile  Send a private message  Visit Oli G's homepage
Aye

Kev ****in loves his cruncy band passes

there are no strict rules as said, just do what you want, but try avoid the big trance cheese, and your ok ;)

www.camelrecords.co.uk

\o/ <o/ \o> <o> /o\ _o/ \o_

http://www.myspace.com/camelrecords

ryg0r
Advanced Member

Australia
2,807 posts

34 hardcore releases
ryg0r is verified hardcore artist ryg0r has donated money to the site ryg0r has attended 10 events
Posted - 2003/10/01 :  14:29:17  Show profile View artist profile  Send a private message
I like to use my big trance synths for pads though, not for the main focus.

I love those "tickertape" riffs. They are something is quite distinct in freeform. But freeform doesn't depend on those riff either.

-=[ryg0r]=-

New PostPost Reply
 Printer friendly
  Verified artist
   Donating member How to donate

It took 1.25 ninja's to process this page!

HappyHardcore.com

1999 - 2024 HappyHardcore.com
audio: PRS for music. Build: 3.1.73.1

Go to top of page