Front page news, end of mixes?
 Printer friendly
Page: 
of 4

Author Thread  
djmarinecorpse

Canada
265 posts
Posted - 2004/01/28 :  11:58:35  Show profile  Send a private message  Reply with quote
This is merely the first casualty of hardcore getting too big for it's own good...

Paul

Old sig removed due to stagnation.

Old sig removed due to stagnation.

Alert moderator Go to top of page
withaC
Starting Member

United Kingdom
4 posts
withaC has donated money to the site withaC has attended 9 events
Posted - 2004/01/28 :  12:33:57  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit withaC's homepage  Reply with quote
I'm not being funny but i buy the tape packs 'cause they remind me of the night, listening to them in ya car with ya mates, a track comes on the MC screams sumit at ya and ya like "F*** me... i was proper mashed when this was dropped, chattin to some random 'bout fraggle rock" or something.

SV bringing out the CDs i think is good, i like CDs, but it ain't goona stop me buying a mix CD just cause the same tracks are on one of my tape packs.

Christ, i must have nearly every hardcore track at least twice on CD, tape, Vinyl or MP3.

I kno i'm not the only one.

Greed is just wrong and nasty... That ain't hardcore, thats RnB. Lets not get all bling bling now pls!

We ain't Rubbish n B*ll*cks, WE'RE HARDCORE!

Underloop
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
3,895 posts

91 hardcore releases
Underloop has donated money to the site Underloop has attended 5 events
Posted - 2004/01/28 :  13:06:59  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Underloop's homepage  Reply with quote
Everybody seems to be throwing the word "greedy" around.... answer this one question:

Who is being greedy....The producers who spent their time crafting their tunes to perfection and shelling out their own money to bring out records that may only just break even.

OR

The events organisations who flaunt the copyright of other peoples hard work after already bringing in a bunch of cash from the event itself.

Now please don't get me wrong, tape packs are as much a part of hardcore as glow sticks IMO, and I think the scene needs them. However, its about time the producers who get their work on the tapes and CDs get what is owed to them.

Some sort of compromise needs to be reached over this which doesn't increase the price of the packs. Maybe the head honchos in hardcore should have a sit down and a nice cup of tea with teh event organisers and thrash about some ideas...... surely some compromise can be reached where everybody is happy?

Matthew aka DJ Underloop

Simon
Advanced Member

Belgium
5,001 posts
Simon has donated money to the site Simon has attended 5 events
Posted - 2004/01/28 :  14:59:17  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Simon's homepage  Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by Underloop:

Some sort of compromise needs to be reached over this which doesn't increase the price of the packs.

I thought the compramise was the event organisers paying SOME of the dj's £800+ for 1 hours work!!!

Although I understand this isn't gonna get people like Nick Arnold any money because they don't play out.......Yet his songs are OFTEN played out!

"Hush little baby, don’t say a word
And never mind that noise you heard
It’s just the beast under your bed,
In your closet, in your head"

Edited by - Simon on 2004/01/28 15:00:40
silver
Admin

Japan
12,549 posts

894 hardcore releases
silver is verified hardcore artist silver is a site donation subscriber silver has attended 108 events
Posted - 2004/01/28 :  15:32:35  Show profile View artist profile  Send a private message  Visit silver's homepage  Reply with quote
Nothing wrong with tape packs, Slammin vinyl have just been abusing hardcore for their own profit at the expense of labels and artists. Slammin just have to licence the tracks if they want to release the packs from now on.

DJDarkside
Average Member

United Kingdom
225 posts

269 hardcore releases
DJDarkside has attended 7 events
Posted - 2004/01/28 :  15:35:59  Show profile  Send a private message  Reply with quote
and so they are deciding to make cd packs instead

DJ Darkside
Hardcore Rules!
Go Widda Flow & Don't Stop, But Always Remember To Let The Beats Drop!

Lazerath

United Kingdom
276 posts
Lazerath has attended 3 events
Posted - 2004/01/28 :  15:36:18  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Lazerath's homepage  Reply with quote
which in the long run is alot better for everyone.... and tape packs are gr8

Hardcore Forever. True And Thru. Never Let It End.

Exhile
Advanced Member

Netherlands
1,365 posts
Exhile has donated money to the site
Posted - 2004/01/28 :  16:14:24  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Exhile's homepage  Reply with quote
Well theoretically your not allwed to post up mp3 mixes for people to download either. Im actually gonna take bvetter care with this now and only allow streaming on mixes ythat i post up from now on

----------------------------------------------------------

Find all my mixes at www.intenseradio.co.uk

Frank

whispering

Finland
8,452 posts
whispering has donated money to the site
Posted - 2004/01/28 :  16:27:48  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit whispering's homepage  Reply with quote
Dont have any tape packs and dont like them. If i buy a record i wanna pay for the artist, not some promoter in UK... Although i didnt have anything against them, untill i read this:

"Brisk from Next Generation has also said that Next Generation have delayed the release of their new album because of the recent Slammin NYE CD pack due to the fact Next Generation recieve no money from their hard work on creating these fresh new tracks and the fact the illegal CD's contains about half of the tracks on the new album."

Now i see this law thing only as a good thing (not only coz ive been waiting a new NG/BB Collection for almoust a year). Tape packs were tolerated, slammin had the Hardcore Heaven CD serie, but i guess they thought that they could make more money if they also take the artists share. They got too greedy and crossed the line...

Edited by - whispering on 2004/01/28 16:29:24
dbzninja41
Starting Member

United States
2 posts
Posted - 2004/01/28 :  17:08:05  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit dbzninja41's homepage  Reply with quote
I think selling live mixes for profit without giving money to the artist is wrong, but honestly, how things go today, the live mix is sold to a few thousand people for a cheap price, then everyone else gets it on the internet. I personally think that live electronic captures the whoel spirit of the music better than listening to a cd recorded in the studio. Without the filesharring and the distributing of live mixes, I'd probably only know about Darude.

kg4
Advanced Member

United States
802 posts

36 hardcore releases
Posted - 2004/01/28 :  17:19:57  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit kg4's homepage  Reply with quote
i think this is a great thing. if the promoters are making enough money off of these (cheap) tapepacks that the artists have to step in and require licensing, then i think that just proves how strong the scene is growing.

its such a shame that all the hardcore artists/djs that have devoted their live to us should be able to make a living finally! -sarcasm-

and i don't think that this applied to bedroom djs sending out free demos. unless teh bedroom dj got ahold of an unreleased(or unfinished) track that is.

Oh man, I hope I didn't brain my damage...

mr bishi
Advanced Member

Ireland
874 posts

49 hardcore releases
mr bishi has attended 16 events
Posted - 2004/01/28 :  22:51:30  Show profile  Send a private message  Reply with quote
I don't think tape packs have that much of an impact on album sales or vinyl sales because of the pure shite quality of the recordings,actually they prob help them.

But now these pax are cd quality and that can only lead to less Bonkers, HTID etc..... been released because people will have already bought high quality unlicenced version of new track long b4 they arrive on a proper album.

Don't know if that made much sense but my stance on the matter is.

Ban cd pax,keep tape pax.

"24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case. Coincidence? I think
not."

Homer Jay Simpson

ryg0r
Advanced Member

Australia
2,807 posts

34 hardcore releases
ryg0r is verified hardcore artist ryg0r has donated money to the site ryg0r has attended 10 events
Posted - 2004/01/29 :  01:44:21  Show profile View artist profile  Send a private message  Reply with quote
Lets try to look at this objectively:

The artist/dj most likely doesn't want his set recorded. I remember hearing Scott Brown saying that he didn't play at Slammin' cos he knew that they would rip his set, consisting mainly of new tracks.

The people who make the tape packs, recieve easy cash.

The people who buy the packs get them cos they are cheap, they are a good memory of the night, and can hear new choons along with their fav DJ.

With the amount of time it takes to get from the dance floor to the tape packs (as opposed to the stores on CD) its no wonder that people buy them.

This hurts the artist because they are unliscenced (sp??), and thus the only thing he *might* get is recognition. Not hard earned cash.

Why does it affect sales? Tape packs are cheaper than vinyl, and come out faster than CDs. Its almost like the mp3 issue.

I would say, if you really want to keep the tape packs, get some organisation, make sure the artist/DJ wants to, and make sure that the artist/DJ gets a slice of the cake.

-=[ryg0r]=-

silver
Admin

Japan
12,549 posts

894 hardcore releases
silver is verified hardcore artist silver is a site donation subscriber silver has attended 108 events
Posted - 2004/01/29 :  02:24:26  Show profile View artist profile  Send a private message  Visit silver's homepage  Reply with quote
Another problem was the fact that Slammin did not tell anyone that they were recording the sets infact most of the DJ's had signed contracts saying that Slammin could not record the sets but they did anyway!

kg4
Advanced Member

United States
802 posts

36 hardcore releases
Posted - 2004/01/29 :  02:57:40  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit kg4's homepage  Reply with quote
so iis this the end of an era for slammin?

Oh man, I hope I didn't brain my damage...

New PostPost Reply
Topic is 4 pages long: 1  2  3  4
 Printer friendly
  Verified artist
   Donating member How to donate

It took 0.67 ninja's to process this page!

HappyHardcore.com

1999 - 2024 HappyHardcore.com
audio: PRS for music. Build: 3.1.73.1

Go to top of page