Front page news, end of mixes?
 Printer friendly
Page: 
of 4

Author Thread  
CandyAss

United States
471 posts
Posted - 2004/01/31 :  19:02:36  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit CandyAss's homepage  Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Grim Reaper:
quote:
Originally posted by atomicb:
Well I take it slammin' is unlikely to back down on this.. so I hate to say it I'll prolly have to hurry up and buy those cd's before they vanish...

Chances are I'll buy 99% of the records from it anyway ;)

lol..slammin will back down like timid puppies in a new house,otherwise the MCPS will cut their license to make any more CD's and confiscate any stocks they have.Oh... and the fine can be in excess of £100K if they backdate the action. Anyone remember the Streetsounds story from years ago?? MCPS took over 500K cd's and records from their warehouse... and destroyed them!

Wow, destroying quality music for the sake of money, doesn't sound like the spirit of hardcore to me.

I'll agree on one point, Slammin' are greedy bastards and as much as I respect the music released on their label from the days of yore and their badass parties, I think they deserve whatever they have coming to them.

CandyAss
http://www.3kingscrew.com
http://www.valence2000.com
http://www.hardcorps.org

http://www.hardcorps.org

Alert moderator Go to top of page
Lazerath

United Kingdom
276 posts
Lazerath has attended 3 events
Posted - 2004/01/31 :  20:09:43  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Lazerath's homepage  Reply with quote
Hit the nail on the head.

If a labels' gonna take advantage. it needs hurt.

Hardcore Forever. True And Thru. Never Let It End.

silver
Admin

Japan
12,549 posts

894 hardcore releases
silver is verified hardcore artist silver is a site donation subscriber silver has attended 108 events
Posted - 2004/02/02 :  04:36:04  Show profile View artist profile  Send a private message  Visit silver's homepage  Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by CandyAss:

Wow, destroying quality music for the sake of money, doesn't sound like the spirit of hardcore to me.

All they had to do was licence the tape packs, standard fee is a tiny 18%, so it's their own fault to be honest. It would not change the scene that much there are a ton of other hardcore events and tones of CD releases. Only thing I would dislike about Slammin going would be the fact they kind of stuck with hardcore in the dark times... Just wish they had done it by the book, they would not be in this mess at the moment.

dj-freedom
Average Member

United Kingdom
197 posts
dj-freedom has attended 1 event
Posted - 2004/02/17 :  15:12:18  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit dj-freedom's homepage  Reply with quote
This whole thing has gone way out of control.

Correct me if i'm wrong here guys but here's a couple of points to think about:

Agreed, doing the CD thing was beyond the mark, they probably thought they'd pull it off as, well, lets put it this way, its not the first time slammin have realeased unlicenced cds from raves. But banning all tape packs is ridiculous!!

I dont see how its gonna affect vinyl sales!
Ok, So DJ Bloggs hears new material on a tape pack and likes it, the tape's no use to him to mix is it? So what does he do? He goes out and BUYS the vinyl of the tracks he's heard. Now , surely thats pushing up vinyl sales?!

On the other side of the coin, Mr Ordinary who doesnt DJ isnt going to go out and buy vinyl or single cds from the labels just to play individual tracks one after the other is he? The only cds he's gonna buy are the mixed ones (hardcore heaven, bonkers for example) in the shops which are still few and far between.

So wheres the problem?

Hardcore is the passion of the chosen....

Kyle_Buffrey

Tanzania
141 posts

37 hardcore releases
Posted - 2004/02/17 :  20:31:48  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Kyle_Buffrey's homepage  Reply with quote
I went to a party the other night at a friends house and crashed there, the next day when everyone was recovering, someone put on the tapepack from Slammin' NYE's Drum 'n' Bass room, and the Andy C set sounded really good, but Mampi Swifts set had MC Navigator talking a load of bollocks on the mic all the way through. I'm tempted to buy the tapepack (if my wallet will allow it) but I'd feel quite guilty about it so I probably won't get it.

silver
Admin

Japan
12,549 posts

894 hardcore releases
silver is verified hardcore artist silver is a site donation subscriber silver has attended 108 events
Posted - 2004/02/18 :  04:07:22  Show profile View artist profile  Send a private message  Visit silver's homepage  Reply with quote
I think everyone agrees that taking something that is not yours and selling it for profit and keeping all the money for yourself is wrong.

If the event promotors had paid just a small amount to the artists this would not be a problem at all. Don't blame the artists for being greedy, blame the event promotors for being greddy.

Audio X
Advanced Member

United States
670 posts

13 hardcore releases
Audio X is verified hardcore artist Audio X has attended 2 events
Posted - 2004/02/19 :  03:30:16  Show profile View artist profile  Send a private message  Visit Audio X's homepage  Reply with quote
I wonder if this applies to oldskool sets as well? Things you can't get on the primary market anymore, I mean. Like, Fantazia has just remastered all their tape packs from the good old days and are selling them on CD now. What are the repurcussions of this for them?

http://www.acidplanet.com/audio_ecstacy

Kyle_Buffrey

Tanzania
141 posts

37 hardcore releases
Posted - 2004/02/19 :  12:40:13  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Kyle_Buffrey's homepage  Reply with quote
I've just thought , wouldn't it be difficult to enforce the law, if the tapepack was a recording of a illegally held event, like many were back in the day?

What if a DJ who now only plays at legal events, complains about a tape made of his/her set from a old illegal event from a few years ago? (i.e 1994)

Or if the organisation that produced it is no longer existent and another company re-released the old tape from the non existent orginisation on cd?

These are all probably stupid questions , but it has relevance I guess.

Underloop
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
3,895 posts

91 hardcore releases
Underloop has donated money to the site Underloop has attended 5 events
Posted - 2004/02/19 :  12:57:29  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Underloop's homepage  Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kyle_Buffrey:
I've just thought , wouldn't it be difficult to enforce the law, if the tapepack was a recording of a illegally held event, like many were back in the day?

Whats the difference between this and making a mix tape in your bedroom and selling it? Its not the event thats copyright, its the tunes themselves that makeup the recordings, so there is no difficulty in enforcing it.

quote:

Or if the organisation that produced it is no longer existent and another company re-released the old tape from the non existent orginisation on cd?

If the organisation that made it is no longer existant, then they are not selling it. If a new company is selling it then they have to pay the royalties.

If you sell somebody else's work, you have to pay the person who's work it is, simple as. It doesn't matter who made the recording just who sells it.

Matthew aka DJ Underloop

Kyle_Buffrey

Tanzania
141 posts

37 hardcore releases
Posted - 2004/02/19 :  14:50:35  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Kyle_Buffrey's homepage  Reply with quote
Slight confusion there...
About Royalties....
To use a track legally on a recording, do you have to pay the artist a set one-off fee, or a certain percentage of profits made on the recording?

Underloop
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
3,895 posts

91 hardcore releases
Posted - 2004/02/19 :  14:56:15  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Underloop's homepage  Reply with quote
Usually its a percentage of the sales that you pay to the MCPS, known as royalties (between 17-20%)

I think it is possible to agree a set one off fee, but its very unusual.

Matthew aka DJ Underloop

dj-freedom
Average Member

United Kingdom
197 posts
dj-freedom has attended 1 event
Posted - 2004/02/19 :  15:16:11  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit dj-freedom's homepage  Reply with quote
What about playing tracks in a club?

If I were to play a set in a local club (long way of yet!!), would I have to get permission and pay royalties to each individual artists from each vinyl i used?

Underloop
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
3,895 posts

91 hardcore releases
Posted - 2004/02/19 :  15:33:23  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Underloop's homepage  Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by dj-freedom:
What about playing tracks in a club?

If I were to play a set in a local club (long way of yet!!), would I have to get permission and pay royalties to each individual artists from each vinyl i used?

depends on a few factors.

If you are just DJing there and are NOT the promotor and/or club owner then no you wouldn't have to pay royalties.

If you are the promotor and the club doesn't already have a licence then yes you would have to get a licence (MCPS/PRS AND the PPL I think too).

Events should always have a licence for an event where music is to be played. It is NOT the responsibility of hte DJ though, itis the responsibility of the promotor and/or club. I'm not sure who the buck rests with though, I guess it would depend on the contract the promotor has with the club/venue. Most venues will have a licence of some sort though, but you should ALWAYS check this out before you get a nasty fine from the licencing authorities.

BTW, I would just like to add that the above info is purely a guideline, if you wantthe definitive answer check with a lawyer and/or the MCPS (in the UK) and they will be able to help more.

Matthew aka DJ Underloop

Edited by - Underloop on 2004/02/19 15:36:43
Dodgee

32 posts
Dodgee is verified hardcore artist
Posted - 2004/02/19 :  21:46:38  Show profile View artist profile  Send a private message  Visit Dodgee's homepage  Reply with quote
Everyone has got way over-excited about this and jumped the gun on a lot of things.

Tape packs are not going to die. They will just have to be legal, as they always should have been anyway. This might mean a very slight increase in their price but so what? In a scene with such a small economy aren't you prepared to pay a quid or two extra for them? Ultimately it will give producers some much needed revenue, which can only lead to more music being made.

No-one has a problem with you making demo mixes with released tunes on them. This is how a huge percentage of the current names got into it so why would they object? If you're putting unreleased stuff on those mixes then it goes without saying that you should get permission off the labels concerned anyway.

The problem with this whole issue was the fact that, obviously, DJs were playing their unreleased material at Slammin, stuff which has been licensed to come out soon on proper albums. The problem being that when these albums hit the shelves, a lot of people will already have the "exclusive" tunes on the Slammin CDs (in digital quality), and so might not bother buying the proper album. A lot of labels pretty much RELY on album licensing to survive because the profit to be made from vinyl sales is pretty negligable for many of them.

Some of you are saying the producers are greedy for suddenly deciding they wanna be paid for live recordings, but consider the ones who don't also DJ. They make money purely from record releases/licensing so what's wrong with them requesting what's legally theirs anyway?

It'll all get worked out

New PostPost Reply
Topic is 4 pages long: 1  2  3  4
 Printer friendly
  Verified artist
   Donating member How to donate

It took 1.23 ninja's to process this page!

HappyHardcore.com

1999 - 2024 HappyHardcore.com
audio: PRS for music. Build: 3.1.73.1

Go to top of page