Printer friendly
Page: 
of 4

Author Thread  
The Grim Reaper
Starting Member

United Kingdom
6 posts
Posted - 2004/01/29 :  12:18:09  Show profile  Send a private message  Reply with quote
The tapes were tolerated cos theyre crap quality usualy at best MW radio sound.CD's last longer,better quality.
No other genre allows these to happen.
Some compilation companies dont bother with hardcore cos they couldnt compete with slammins cds.the licening alone would cost thousands.
Labels dont mind dj's demoing thier sets as long as they dont make money. Copyright law is only enforced when people profit from illegal copying.Before you shout Kazaa/grokster etc doesnt make money,and theyve been done.. yes they do,with spyware inside and ads on thweir website.
All your doing is devaluing hardcore by buying tape packs. And that arguement about "i cant buy the vinyl" ..BOLL*X.. fone the artist and pay them £5 for a CD.Someone still has the dats theres enuff forums to find someone that knows that artist to give you an email addy.
Some producers dont DJ, so the only income is from vinyl.They dont get £800 a time for anything.
Bout timethis was sorted,they were taking the piss for years!

The Grim Reaper knows EVERYTHING.

Alert moderator Go to top of page
Woxxy

Sweden
142 posts

36 hardcore releases
Posted - 2004/01/29 :  12:37:55  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Woxxy's homepage  Reply with quote
i think this is no more than right!
i actually like the idea alot!
the artists who make the tunes don't get a dime from all the profit made of someone else selling their tunes on a liveact cd.
they need to make a living aswell!
think about all the money that gets lost, cause others rip 'em off...
how it affects the scene, i don't know.
the CDs start costing more and this creates two points of view on that.
first one being: artists get better paid, and will make more tunes for everyone to listen to. more happyhardcore for everyone, the scene can grow!
second: people find the CDs too expensive and don't buy the CDs and the hardcore scene slowly but surely dies.

HOWEVER!
the freedom of promoting themselves is basically crucial to the survival of DJs; promos should be completely legal. since no money is made with promos.

if artists and djs could agree on this point that would be great!
free promos/demos, but the sold CDs should also give some money to the artists who produced them.

since promos are just from DJ to event holders, there should be no problem.
even if it was a problem, noone would get caught for it.

take care!

Woxxy - The one and only
http://nettiapuri.net/robbery.php?n=Woxxy

DarrenJ
Advanced Member

Australia
2,626 posts
DarrenJ has attended 12 events
Posted - 2004/01/29 :  12:55:33  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit DarrenJ's homepage  Reply with quote
WOW couldnt compete with Bonkers and now is 8cd's for 20pounds (sad), alot of CDs are launched and yes they dont sell multi plat like a mainstream ministry of sound.
once blamed on "media" holding it down, now people are looking for something else to blame
This is what im starting to think..maybe I just have to much time on my hands

well I, I will, I will hardcore

whispering

Finland
8,452 posts
whispering has donated money to the site
Posted - 2004/01/29 :  13:10:58  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit whispering's homepage  Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by Woxxy:
the CDs start costing more

I dont think so, Deca Dance (i think thats MoS's sublabel?) and React have both cheap CD's. DecaDance's 3cd/6cd box for 15€ isnt really expensive. Also all the other "regular" releases are all sold at normal cd price.

DJ Superman
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,192 posts

46 hardcore releases
DJ Superman has donated money to the site DJ Superman has attended 15 events
Posted - 2004/01/29 :  15:12:16  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit DJ Superman's homepage  Reply with quote
i think this shows that the scene is really turning around. finally instead of the producers chasing anyone and everyone to get they're stuff released and heard they have the power and the demand from the growing scene to be able to ask for what's theirs.... a part of the profit from they're work that's being sold. anyway, if the producers get more money then they'll do more producing

i'v got loads of tape packs and i think that as long as they keep selling them (very important part of the scene IMO) then money should go to anyone who helped make it possible.

whizz-billy-the-kid's got you in his sights

djtommyrenegade
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,311 posts
djtommyrenegade has attended 8 events
Posted - 2004/01/29 :  19:45:14  Show profile  Send a private message  Reply with quote
just a question probably stupid but anyway:

wen i play out i bring my md recorder with me and record my set live onto the md, does this mean i cant do it unless i wanna license it?

stupid i know but just wanna be sure

http://www.djtommyrenegade.tk

mr bishi
Advanced Member

Ireland
874 posts

49 hardcore releases
mr bishi has attended 16 events
Posted - 2004/01/29 :  20:00:14  Show profile  Send a private message  Reply with quote
quote:
wen i play out i bring my md recorder with me and record my set live onto the md, does this mean i cant do it unless i wanna license it?

Just as long as yu where not selling it on i doubt there would be a problem.

Sharkey said on ush that people who where posting mixes online should contact the record label for permission for the use of there tunes,thats going a bit far in my opinion.

"24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case. Coincidence? I think
not."

Homer Jay Simpson

Edited by - mr bishi on 2004/01/29 20:02:47
silver
Admin

Japan
12,549 posts

894 hardcore releases
silver is verified hardcore artist silver is a site donation subscriber silver has attended 108 events
Posted - 2004/01/30 :  03:49:17  Show profile View artist profile  Send a private message  Visit silver's homepage  Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by mr bishi:
Sharkey said on ush that people who where posting mixes online should contact the record label for permission for the use of there tunes,thats going a bit far in my opinion.

Slammin and tape pack producers have brought this on themselves, they got greedy and what was seen as fair promotion has now crossed the line into taking money from the artists... Because of this the grey area is slowing fading out into can't do and can do.

I'm quite in the loop on what is going on legal wise about this... Trust me it aint gonna be pretty, if your selling mixes (which is illegal) I would stop ASAP.

Comet
Advanced Member

United States
1,544 posts

745 hardcore releases
Comet has donated money to the site Comet has attended 22 events
Posted - 2004/01/30 :  05:10:18  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Comet's homepage  Reply with quote
I've never thought about selling my mixes. That's just so rude to the producers. Some certain famous DJ on the other hand... Silver knows who I'm talking about. :
__________ _ _ __________ _ _ __________ _ _ __________ _ _
Y Don't U get off your arse and get these tracks out instead...

atomicb
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
621 posts

60 hardcore releases
Posted - 2004/01/30 :  09:31:22  Show profile  Send a private message  Reply with quote
Well I take it slammin' is unlikely to back down on this.. so I hate to say it I'll prolly have to hurry up and buy those cd's before they vanish...

Chances are I'll buy 99% of the records from it anyway ;)

The Grim Reaper
Starting Member

United Kingdom
6 posts
Posted - 2004/01/30 :  12:25:33  Show profile  Send a private message  Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by atomicb:
Well I take it slammin' is unlikely to back down on this.. so I hate to say it I'll prolly have to hurry up and buy those cd's before they vanish...

Chances are I'll buy 99% of the records from it anyway ;)

lol..slammin will back down like timid puppies in a new house,otherwise the MCPS will cut their license to make any more CD's and confiscate any stocks they have.Oh... and the fine can be in excess of £100K if they backdate the action. Anyone remember the Streetsounds story from years ago?? MCPS took over 500K cd's and records from their warehouse... and destroyed them!

djtommyrenegade
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,311 posts
djtommyrenegade has attended 8 events
Posted - 2004/01/30 :  19:45:43  Show profile  Send a private message  Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by mr bishi:
quote:

Just as long as yu where not selling it on i doubt there would be a problem.

hmmm suppose but just makin sure, dont wanna get hit wit a big piracy fine or anything

http://www.djtommyrenegade.tk

hecttechrecords
Starting Member

United Kingdom
2 posts
Posted - 2004/01/30 :  20:32:56  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit hecttechrecords's homepage  Reply with quote
everyone has made good points but here are the FACTS

Demo tapes : labels encourage these as always

Online mixes: labels are not bothered about these either

Cd packs : will NEVER be released again, every label is together on this

Tape packs : unless you have an mcps license and pay royalties they are illegal and legal action WILL be taken.

as for slammin not accepting this...... tough shit

Kyle_Buffrey

Tanzania
141 posts

37 hardcore releases
Posted - 2004/01/31 :  12:53:17  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Kyle_Buffrey's homepage  Reply with quote
It's disgusting that Slammin' did not honour the contracts that the DJs signed, that stated that their sets would not be recorded. First they leave loads of people stood outside in the cold for hours, then they do this. I wonder if there has been any issues with the drum and bass cd packs as well?

Tape packs should go on in licensed form, but the DJs should sign a contract beforehand to say they set can be recorded, and the labels should be consulted too, i.e if the DJ is playing a certain dubplate/promo cdr that the label does not wish for the general public to hear yet. The DJs should be paid extra for the recording, and the labels should recieve royalties for their tracks. That is my opinion on tapepacks.

As for bedroom Djs like many of ourselves making mixes on tapes or minidiscs etc, I doubt that it is in the interest of hardcore artists to discourage us from playing hardcore by suing us out of pocket for making a hardcore mixtape purely for fun! After all we spent hundreds of pounds on the featured vinyl which pays their wages. They are probably pleased to see us enjoying their work (vinyls) and taking their creation even further by creating something which is a collage, that combines all their work into one piece (a mixtape) and if that tape is not making money or ripping them off in any form, they will probably take the fact that their track is on your tape as a compliment! The current DJs/Artists will have to retire and be replaced by us one day, and therefore the bedroom djs and producers are the future of hardcore. The mixtapes that we create are part of the educational process we are going through to get to the level, that our idols are at.

But if you are going to use a track in a mixtape, that you might profit in some form from it is a guess idea to consult the artist first, it's just good manners isn't it?

kg4
Advanced Member

United States
802 posts

36 hardcore releases
Posted - 2004/01/31 :  14:05:33  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit kg4's homepage  Reply with quote
ok, so we are allowed to make mixtapes at home, but what about mixcds ?

Oh man, I hope I didn't brain my damage...

New PostPost Reply
Topic is 4 pages long: 1  2  3  4
 Printer friendly
  Verified artist
   Donating member How to donate

It took 0.86 ninja's to process this page!

HappyHardcore.com

1999 - 2024 HappyHardcore.com
audio: PRS for music. Build: 3.1.73.1

Go to top of page