Page: 
of 7

Author Thread  
trippnface
Advanced Member

United States
1,654 posts
trippnface has attended 21 events
Posted - 2016/09/23 :  20:34:21  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit trippnface's homepage  Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by skarr:
It's just looks cheap and simple and like it's been knocked up by an amateur in his bedroom.

back to sexy females?

Alert moderator Go to top of page
CDJay
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
3,049 posts
Posted - 2016/09/23 :  20:50:37  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit CDJay's homepage  Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by skarr:
It's just looks cheap and simple and like it's been knocked up by an amateur in his bedroom.

My sarcastic side says "in keeping with genre"

I say.... Really? Diversions art on vinyl looks great. HH album is is intended for something classy and the vibrating cityscape works for ad and art. You can hate it, that's opinion, but please afford suitable corrective suggestion. Alternatives can triumph.

CDJay

CDJay
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
3,049 posts
Posted - 2016/09/23 :  20:56:11  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit CDJay's homepage  Reply with quote
Also loving the sentiment that it's all for not due to art style. I long for the day that is my concern and it makes my life easier. I am distracted by scene politics and licensing concerns. I wish art was the thing that caused me sleepless nights. Go for it, in my absence.

CDJay

arpz
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,267 posts
arpz has attended 22 events
Posted - 2016/09/23 :  23:56:10  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit arpz's homepage  Reply with quote
I like diversions art but I'm less sold on this.. it's alright but it's just a bit clean I suppose. I guess 'classy' is probably the right word but I don't really know where classy links to hardcore, even if I am a double suave bastard in the raves.

I suppose it breaks away from the cliche of cartoons/fit birds/angels but I can't tell if that's a good thing or not. Was there a conscious decision to do so in order to potentially find new listeners?

Basically though, I'm excited about it, I'll definitely buy it, it's not exactly a deal breaker

djDMS
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
10,304 posts

572 hardcore releases
djDMS has donated money to the site djDMS has attended 43 events
Posted - 2016/09/24 :  00:40:52  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit djDMS's homepage  Reply with quote
Very welcome change as far as I'm concerned.
Why shouldn't Hardcore be more professional in appearance?

Skidzorz

Canada
299 posts
Posted - 2016/09/24 :  04:01:02  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Skidzorz's homepage  Reply with quote
As much as I love me some cartoony, cheesy, UFO and visor wearing 90's aesthetic, if this is an attempt to get HC taken seriously again then they've definitely hit the mark for what they were going for.

I personally am not the biggest fan of it per se, but it seems like they've been following this ethos that (albeit in different ways) that Gammer and Style have been as well lately, which is get hardcore out there to as many people as possible, and to get it taken seriously as a legimate genre of music, and maybe art, again. The scene didn't do itself any favours with all the sped-up-Hands-Up ******** that was being put out in the mid-2000's, coupled with the nasty connotations people have of the words happy hardcore, and it's going to. Take a concentrated effort to get to not just go ugh and turn their ears off the second their hear anything related to "hardcore".

I don't like it but if this is what it takes, **** it. Some of those mode laden covers (HU2 I'm looking at you ;)) are the ugliest, amateurish, garish pieces of shit I e ever seen but music on it is top class, so if that's the case here **** it.

You want new music with old school cheesy covers? Go to Kniteforce. Want some other cheese but this time with lazors (anime girls and mechs added in at your pleasure)? Check out Japan. Not everything needs to be angels and whistles and love.

Now if that MOB cd doesn't deliver I take back everything I just said and I co- sign burning HU to the ground

Impulse_Response
Advanced Member

United States
724 posts
Impulse_Response has attended 1 event
Posted - 2016/09/24 :  04:10:21  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Impulse_Response's homepage  Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by Skidzorz:
As much as I love me some cartoony, cheesy, UFO and visor wearing 90's aesthetic, if this is an attempt to get HC taken seriously again then they've definitely hit the mark for what they were going for.

I personally am not the biggest fan of it per se, but it seems like they've been following this ethos that (albeit in different ways) that Gammer and Style have been as well lately, which is get hardcore out there to as many people as possible, and to get it taken seriously as a legimate genre of music, and maybe art, again. The scene didn't do itself any favours with all the sped-up-Hands-Up ******** that was being put out in the mid-2000's, coupled with the nasty connotations people have of the words happy hardcore, and it's going to. Take a concentrated effort to get to not just go ugh and turn their ears off the second their hear anything related to "hardcore".

I don't like it but if this is what it takes, **** it. Some of those mode laden covers (HU2 I'm looking at you ;)) are the ugliest, amateurish, garish pieces of shit I e ever seen but music on it is top class, so if that's the case here **** it.

You want new music with old school cheesy covers? Go to Kniteforce. Want some other cheese but this time with lazors (anime girls and mechs added in at your pleasure)? Check out Japan. Not everything needs to be angels and whistles and love.

Now if that MOB cd doesn't deliver I take back everything I just said and I co- sign burning HU to the ground

For me, taking it seriously is what takes the fun out of it. I'll take all the anime girls, mechs, and silliness I can get, as long as the quality of the music is good.

I also quite like the cover art for this new HH album.

arpz
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,267 posts
arpz has attended 22 events
Posted - 2016/09/24 :  10:56:13  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit arpz's homepage  Reply with quote
Hang on, I don't see anyone else saying we should burn HU to the ground so you're not co-signing, you're leading :)

Elipton
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,268 posts
Elipton has attended 2 events
Posted - 2016/09/24 :  11:00:50  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Elipton's homepage  Reply with quote
I work with art every day in my profession, and before that I was producing and studying music-related artwork all the time.

The new HH artwork is a solid compilation album artwork - there's no doubt about that. I quite like it, and I think it'll look good on the cover. But it's generic, it lacks any kind of creativity or link with the music, and I think they're pretty necessary aspects. It's falling in with a lot of logo-based trends that Cream, HH itself and MOS have set - but that's likely the problem.

This is the creative industry, and as content publishers, you have a fantastic chance to tap into people's imagination and make music more than it's bitrate. You can make it multi-sensory and fun. Bonkers did exactly that. It's most forgettable addition was the final AATW one. As I've said, this isn't bad from an art perspective, but it's easily forgotten. You put this cover next to the HU albums, the GTYM album, the powerstomp album etc etc, and it blends right in. You put it on a shelf with other compilations in HMV and it'll blend right in. If you took the numbers off of the HU albums, I'd never know which one's which - which sucks because some of those are my favourite compilations in my collection.

In summary, yourself and the artist need to understand that it's a great opportunity to be creative and make something iconic and memorable. Album imagery is more powerful than most give credit for, because we can all remember classic hardcore albums for how it looked, not for how it sounded.

I'm sure we all recognize these guys, but most of us won't even have any of the albums

Edited by - Elipton on 2016/09/24 11:03:05
trippnface
Advanced Member

United States
1,654 posts
Posted - 2016/09/24 :  15:43:29  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit trippnface's homepage  Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by Skidzorz:

but gammer and styles ****ing suck right now.

I think that is the most important point.

They got shittier; to please a dumber crowd.

Hardly an accomplishment.

* if gammer and styles are " progressing hardcore" I would rather see it completely die. Utter ****ing trash they are on about. Playing trap mainstream edc to abunch of rolled out college kids is about as least hardcore as it gets.

"The scene didn't do itself any favours with all the sped-up-Hands-Up ******** that was being put out in the mid-2000's, "

wrong. Music like that is what keeps the twats away.

Edited by - trippnface on 2016/09/24 15:51:36
warped_candykid
Advanced Member

United States
3,939 posts
warped_candykid has attended 5 events
Posted - 2016/09/24 :  17:11:34  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit warped_candykid's homepage  Reply with quote
I would definitely love to have all the cartoony, bright, colorful, CD covers since the music (use to be) cartoony, bright, and colorful. It's not fun when it's all serious, and that's the problem with 90% of material coming out now.

CDJay
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
3,049 posts
Posted - 2016/09/24 :  18:09:41  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit CDJay's homepage  Reply with quote
We're very in touch with roots of genre, and are massive fans of identify and differentiation. In fact one of the next projects we're intending on doing is HHU 2.

That said, there are definite market realities, and encroaching walls, in play here.

Either the genre catches a second wind, which *should* have been the EDM Stateside boom we were handily cut out of, and I figure is the reason it won't happen, or it's history. Literally, classics nights and enthusiasts doing the odd track here and there.

It's crunch time.

Bleating on about artwork, moaning about perception or synth sets and kick drums is fine but this really is now or never territory.

We've thrown everything at this, and have held back all our biggest tracks for it. Each of those tracks would 100% make more money if we internalised and did DJ Tools 6. We'll have to share the wealth with external licensees in and out of genre and we're doing it specifically because it's the right thing to do for the wider industry. Yet again, we will do the most work for the least reward.

Try to understand, and really thoroughly ruminate on this, what will happen if we fail. For a start... we're off. We'll wrap up 10 years of banging our heads against the wall trying to help variety, freeform, breaks, up and coming producers, the wider genre, and leave y'all with what's left. Step back and think *really* hard about what that is, and likely will be.

Whilst those specific things may not figure prominently on this project, the relative lack of reciprocation from those camps has been a massive bugbear for us for a long time.

There is no doubt at all we can take our key artists, and industry models, and move over to D&B for a far easier life and notable rewards. Key promotion players in industry *always* ask why we haven't.

The answer is that I think we've spent 10 years playing a chess game, and the pieces *are* there for things to get better. The partisan insular nature of the scene, and listeners within it, are an increasingly large factor in why that might not play out as it could. You can't expect things to get better if you gleefully cut the sprout off everything that pokes out of the dirt.

CDJay

warped_candykid
Advanced Member

United States
3,939 posts
warped_candykid has attended 5 events
Posted - 2016/09/24 :  20:21:32  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit warped_candykid's homepage  Reply with quote
Personally, I'm excited for this project (refers my Roger in drag post), and I can't wait to hear samples. I was just stating I miss the old-style covers. :P I would take Darwin & Fracus over Styles any day. The HU crew at least packs a punch ; I've never been disappointed with a project you guys were behind. :)

CDJay
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
3,049 posts
Posted - 2016/09/24 :  20:38:09  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit CDJay's homepage  Reply with quote
Dude, definitely in no way aimed at you. It's difficult for us; the people who f***Ed it still command "legend" status with all the perks associated, and we're not new. It's a dangerous limbo last time faced in 2010 (we would have 100% gone without that award, our position would have been untenable). Even now the major events post about line ups and people who do nothing, have done nothing in years,will get shouted over us.

We can't fix this without backup; our core audience is justifiably cynical about the wider scene.

You came though for us 6 years ago, and we survived. There's more at stake now; I would say the entire genre. We literally can't do it without y'all. Eyes on the prize!

CDJay

Edited by - CDJay on 2016/09/24 20:40:33
trippnface
Advanced Member

United States
1,654 posts
Posted - 2016/09/24 :  21:07:44  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit trippnface's homepage  Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by CDJay:
We're very in touch with roots of genre, and are massive fans of identify and differentiation. In fact one of the next projects we're intending on doing is HHU 2.

That said, there are definite market realities, and encroaching walls, in play here.

Either the genre catches a second wind, which *should* have been the EDM Stateside boom we were handily cut out of, and I figure is the reason it won't happen, or it's history. Literally, classics nights and enthusiasts doing the odd track here and there.

It's crunch time.

Bleating on about artwork, moaning about perception or synth sets and kick drums is fine but this really is now or never territory.

We've thrown everything at this, and have held back all our biggest tracks for it. Each of those tracks would 100% make more money if we internalised and did DJ Tools 6. We'll have to share the wealth with external licensees in and out of genre and we're doing it specifically because it's the right thing to do for the wider industry. Yet again, we will do the most work for the least reward.

Try to understand, and really thoroughly ruminate on this, what will happen if we fail. For a start... we're off. We'll wrap up 10 years of banging our heads against the wall trying to help variety, freeform, breaks, up and coming producers, the wider genre, and leave y'all with what's left. Step back and think *really* hard about what that is, and likely will be.

Whilst those specific things may not figure prominently on this project, the relative lack of reciprocation from those camps has been a massive bugbear for us for a long time.

There is no doubt at all we can take our key artists, and industry models, and move over to D&B for a far easier life and notable rewards. Key promotion players in industry *always* ask why we haven't.

The answer is that I think we've spent 10 years playing a chess game, and the pieces *are* there for things to get better. The partisan insular nature of the scene, and listeners within it, are an increasingly large factor in why that might not play out as it could. You can't expect things to get better if you gleefully cut the sprout off everything that pokes out of the dirt.

CDJay

HU is the 2nd wind in the USA. All the loyal; dedicated; & informed hardcore fans are squarely in your arena.
This is hardcore

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5aP3ZvtP9pw

This is not hardcore........ and the people in attendance; have **** all to do with hardcore.
https://www.facebook.com/DJGammerFans/?fref=ts

( Yes; gammer at nocturnal)

Styles & Gammer had to utterly sacrifice the genre to gain any entrance into this " boom" . I admire those who respected the genre enough not to warp it into near unrecognizable commercial garbage. It is funny they were so compelled to make the big stage; when all the big stage is ( atleast in usa); is literally the most popular; untalented hyped up dj at the time; playing the most regurgitated trash. Any body can make some bunk trap/future bass toon and become the next soundcloud star; EDC will pick you up quick.

They slaved making hardcore in an underground scene; where each and every fan loves them to death and knows all of their lyrics to every track .A sound not for everyone; but they are widely known and eternal legends in the scene. Sure; it's small; but loyal. Unrivaled. Guess it wasn't enough. That's all fine I suppose. Even more fame is nice I guess. I just don't like anybody pretending it was for the expansion of hardcore. They don't need to insult us like that now.

I do think real hardcore could actually get much bigger; alot of people are seriously unaware we party like that here. Definitely not by projecting a sound that has nothing to do with hardcore though. It would actually be through the ; anime/ mecha/ lasers..... just a cyclic example of people and the world.... once everyone gets over this fake ********; they will be looking for the real party again...

guess gams just likes that bunk US mainstream garbage alot.

*who doesn't like an M - project art cover now?
ravers want that shit.

nothing against a cleaner HU approach though ;p

Edited by - trippnface on 2016/09/24 21:10:57

New PostPost Reply
Topic is 7 pages long: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7
 Printer friendly
  Verified artist
   Donating member How to donate

It took 2.12 ninja's to process this page!

HappyHardcore.com

1999 - 2024 HappyHardcore.com
audio: PRS for music. Build: 3.1.73.1

Go to top of page