Printer friendly
Page: 
of 7

Author Thread  
CDJay
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
3,049 posts
Posted - 2016/09/24 :  21:21:41  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit CDJay's homepage  Reply with quote
To get things back on track, something unifying has to happen. We're really, really, hoping this is it.

CDJay

Alert moderator Go to top of page
Edited by - CDJay on 2016/09/25 07:03:43
Elipton
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,268 posts
Elipton has attended 2 events
Posted - 2016/09/25 :  06:39:24  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Elipton's homepage  Reply with quote
As I said with my first post, anything anyone can say so far is an interpretation rather than a review.

My point in summary was that this can be made to stick in peoples mind a little better with the visuals as the distinction between HU-comp albums are blurred. If it's got iconic tracks, give it iconic artwork

warped_candykid
Advanced Member

United States
3,939 posts
warped_candykid has attended 5 events
Posted - 2016/09/25 :  16:40:30  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit warped_candykid's homepage  Reply with quote
I don't know what other scenes in the US are like, but there's been like a strict "don't book anything over 150 bpm" blanket rule over my scene. We have one safe haven for Hardcore, but even then, the followers of Hardcore in that area are of the new generation (18-21 years old), and they all love their Gammer, Darren, & S3RL. (But then again....when all the other top names have left 'Seduction, Brisk, Ham, ' can you blame them?)

Love them or hate them, I miss the old candy ravers who knew all the Happy2bHardcore anthems, and were always in the know about who's who in Hardcore. Today's generation has no clue as to where their beloved Darren Styles started, or even Gammer's early tracks with Dougal.

Skidzorz

Canada
299 posts
Posted - 2016/09/25 :  18:09:23  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Skidzorz's homepage  Reply with quote
"Ahh kids these days and their dang blasted music".

If CDJ is saying their is a specific reason for ahit looking like this then I buy it. As much as we want everything to be insular and live in our little raving fantasy bubble, if continuing to release stuff with that aesthetic means it doesn't Get bought at all (not even asking 1000 copies of HU is sad and says a lot about the scene atm) then in okay with it being released looking a bit generic. Do we need every EDM/big room listening fan to buy HC? No. But we need SOMEHODY to, or they will close up shop, simple as that. As much as they don't need clubland profit, they need to eat.

People Are literally not taking this into account. I AANT CARTOONY COVERS TOO, maybe that aesthetic isn't viable from any kind of financial standpoint anymore. And as much as they're doing this for the passion, they need some kind of reciprocation to continue.

arpz
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,267 posts
arpz has attended 22 events
Posted - 2016/09/26 :  11:31:53  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit arpz's homepage  Reply with quote
CDJay, how about getting F&D to do a 2016 John Peel (Not Enough)?

You could do the prophetic voiceover work.. maybe it could be 'Kutski (Not Enough)'? :D

trippnface
Advanced Member

United States
1,654 posts
trippnface has attended 21 events
Posted - 2016/09/26 :  14:44:20  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit trippnface's homepage  Reply with quote

hey ; i feel it guys. I am not suggesting we dip ourselves in pitch and run over a cliff or anything; even I can accept a modernized commercial track to reach out for the average joe here and there. As long as we are agreed that is what it is and why ;) .

No need for an honorable death through the stomach approach.. yet!

Golion

Sweden
27 posts
Posted - 2016/10/08 :  14:13:19  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Golion's homepage  Reply with quote
I get a bit sad reading the comments here. Is UK hardcore really in such a bad spot right now? :/ My absolute favorite genre of all times is hard trance. I still play that style of music at alot of raves but to be honest - it's really dead and I would hate to see UK hardcore follow it. the harddance scene really gets better the more different styles there are and I don't really see a reason why styles like hardhouse, (happy) hardcore or hard trance needs to be seperated from hardstyle or hardcore/gabber.

Well I will do my very small part by buying more albums from Hu (Im starting to get a nice collection) and booking more UK hardcore djs at our local clubnights in Sweden (Fracus & Darwin are coming over to one of our events in december).

I really look forward to the Hardcore heaven album and I think its great that we get the full tunes digitally =)

Elliott
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,137 posts
Posted - 2016/10/08 :  16:18:00  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Elliott's homepage  Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by trippnface:
quote:
Originally posted by Skidzorz:
As much as I love me some cartoony, cheesy, UFO and visor wearing 90's aesthetic, if this is an attempt to get HC taken seriously again then they've definitely hit the mark for what they were going for.

I personally am not the biggest fan of it per se, but it seems like they've been following this ethos that (albeit in different ways) that Gammer and Style have been as well lately, which is get hardcore out there to as many people as possible, and to get it taken seriously as a legimate genre of music, and maybe art, again. The scene didn't do itself any favours with all the sped-up-Hands-Up ******** that was being put out in the mid-2000's, coupled with the nasty connotations people have of the words happy hardcore, and it's going to. Take a concentrated effort to get to not just go ugh and turn their ears off the second their hear anything related to "hardcore".

I don't like it but if this is what it takes, **** it. Some of those mode laden covers (HU2 I'm looking at you ;)) are the ugliest, amateurish, garish pieces of shit I e ever seen but music on it is top class, so if that's the case here **** it.

You want new music with old school cheesy covers? Go to Kniteforce. Want some other cheese but this time with lazors (anime girls and mechs added in at your pleasure)? Check out Japan. Not everything needs to be angels and whistles and love.

Now if that MOB cd doesn't deliver I take back everything I just said and I co- sign burning HU to the ground

but gammer and styles ****ing suck right now.

I think that is the most important point.

They got shittier; to please a dumber crowd.

Hardly an accomplishment.

* if gammer and styles are " progressing hardcore" I would rather see it completely die. Utter ****ing trash they are on about. Playing trap mainstream edc to abunch of rolled out college kids is about as least hardcore as it gets.

"The scene didn't do itself any favours with all the sped-up-Hands-Up ******** that was being put out in the mid-2000's, "

wrong. Music like that is what keeps the twats away.

Legitimate post. Could've been written by me.

I'd also like to add that the mid-'00s sound actually attracted an audience, unlike hardcore now. Look at the sales of the CXH albums compared to what we have now. Just LOL at the entire argument.

Hardcore sold its soul and still couldn't achieve that mainstream breakthrough.

Edited by - Elliott on 2016/10/08 16:25:42
Elliott
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,137 posts
Posted - 2016/10/08 :  19:35:50  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Elliott's homepage  Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by Golion:
I get a bit sad reading the comments here. Is UK hardcore really in such a bad spot right now? :/ My absolute favorite genre of all times is hard trance. I still play that style of music at alot of raves but to be honest - it's really dead and I would hate to see UK hardcore follow it. the harddance scene really gets better the more different styles there are and I don't really see a reason why styles like hardhouse, (happy) hardcore or hard trance needs to be seperated from hardstyle or hardcore/gabber.

Well I will do my very small part by buying more albums from Hu (Im starting to get a nice collection) and booking more UK hardcore djs at our local clubnights in Sweden (Fracus & Darwin are coming over to one of our events in december).

I really look forward to the Hardcore heaven album and I think its great that we get the full tunes digitally =)

I would say yes. Others might disagree.

It depends on what hardcore means to you.

Name your 3 favourite hardcore tracks of all time and I'll tell you if there's anything left in the scene for you.

Golion

Sweden
27 posts
Posted - 2016/10/09 :  09:17:22  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Golion's homepage  Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by Elliott:
quote:
Originally posted by Golion:

I would say yes. Others might disagree.

It depends on what hardcore means to you.

Name your 3 favourite hardcore tracks of all time and I'll tell you if there's anything left in the scene for you.

I tried to make a top 3 list but it's just not possible. To much music to choose from. But what I love in hardcore is influences from oldschool ravemusic. Bittersweet stuff with pianos always gets me. When artists combine that style with more modern kicks that is the best for me. I also don't mind the very trancy milleniumstuff at all but (tracks like Dougal & Gammer - Stomp or Splash - Blame The Moon (Kevin Energy Remix) never gets boring) but the most pure hardcore for me is the very "ravesounding" if that makes any sense? :P

Modern day stuff that I love is like Entity, F&D, Dj Shimamura and Jakazid.

CDJay
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
3,049 posts
Posted - 2016/10/09 :  11:56:08  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit CDJay's homepage  Reply with quote
You're safe

CDJay

Bring Me Round To Love

United Kingdom
116 posts
Posted - 2016/10/09 :  12:22:48  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Bring Me Round To Love's homepage  Reply with quote
There are still labels and artist pushing a more harder 00's sound and always have been, these will be totally pushed under the carpet by the likes of Styles & Gammer, these tracks will be to hard and not watered down enough or not overly compressed edm sounding.

It's funny how DnB still sounds like DnB? So why not Hardcore

5 years from now whos gonna care anyway, Hardcore would have jumped on the next hipster trend, even some the newer Scott Brown tracks are sounding very Gammer'ish.

Would be nice to see the scene be more innovative like they have been in the past why follow trends when you can create them.

Samination
Advanced Member

Sweden
13,084 posts

195 hardcore releases
Samination has attended 17 events
Posted - 2016/10/09 :  13:02:26  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Samination's homepage  Reply with quote
Funny how gammer used to sound like scott brown back in the days. But yea i agree, it almost like hardcore and freeform need to be agresssive to change their sound compared to most other genres. Metal for example haven't chqnged much since late 80s and that kind of sound is still popular

http://samination.se/
---------------------------------------------

Elliott
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,137 posts
Posted - 2016/10/09 :  13:35:09  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Elliott's homepage  Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by CDJay:
You're safe

CDJay

Yep.

@Golion: Don't worry then, mate. The stuff you enjoy is still being produced in large quantities and there are still plenty of events in the UK where that music is being played. So look, the scene overall isn't in the healthiest place: rave attendances are quite low amd tjere hardly any compilation albums coming out (but it seems like HU will fix that for you!). But the music that you enjoy is in no immediate danger of dying. Don't worry.

I don't know if you'll ever be able to get anything going in Sweden in terms of events since the UK scene, by far the largest, isn't doing well itself but there's no existential threat to the music.

GL to HU with the compilation. The mid-'00s run of HH albums are some of my all-time complations. It's actually kind of a shame to me that you're picking the name back up so you can run it into the ground with stuff that sounds nothing like any previous HH compilation but I don't begrudge you any success.

Elliott
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,137 posts
Posted - 2016/10/09 :  13:37:01  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Elliott's homepage  Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bring Me Round To Love:
There are still labels and artist pushing a more harder 00's sound and always have been, these will be totally pushed under the carpet by the likes of Styles & Gammer, these tracks will be to hard and not watered down enough or not overly compressed edm sounding.

It's funny how DnB still sounds like DnB? So why not Hardcore

5 years from now whos gonna care anyway, Hardcore would have jumped on the next hipster trend, even some the newer Scott Brown tracks are sounding very Gammer'ish.

Would be nice to see the scene be more innovative like they have been in the past why follow trends when you can create them.

Who are they? Where can I find them? The only reason I spend so much time bitching about the state of hardcore is that I can't find any ****ing hardcore to listen to. If I had a new Skydivin' or something, I'd be listening to that instead of complaining.

I'm not some negative-for-the-sake-of-it troll. I have so many better things I could be doing but that's how passionate I am about MY sound of hardcore.

Edited by - Elliott on 2016/10/09 13:38:32

New PostPost Reply
Topic is 7 pages long: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7
 Printer friendly
  Verified artist
   Donating member How to donate

It took 1.47 ninja's to process this page!

HappyHardcore.com

1999 - 2024 HappyHardcore.com
audio: PRS for music. Build: 3.1.73.1

Go to top of page