Lost password
 Remember my login 
 All forums
 Music discussion - hardcore
 Brisk & Scott Brown's new tunes
 Printer friendly
Page: 
of 3

All users can post new topics in this forum. All users can reply to topics in this forum

Author Thread  
virtigo

United Kingdom
273 posts
Posted - 2002/07/09 :  23:06:41  Show profile Send a private message  Visit virtigo's homepage
I have to be honest, regardless of how much I love the music Scott Brown and Brisk make, I cant really see myself liking the new remix of Eye Opener. Im not all that struck on newstyle tunes anyway and unfortunately I think this has all but ruined how good the tune was. I've just listened to it 3 times to try and make myself like it but it just aint gonna happen!

Mind Punks is half decent because its original but again its newstyle. Why is newstyle suddenly trying to take over? Its Dutch so lets leave it in Holland. We over here in the UK love the usual tried and tested hardcore that Hixxy, Force n Styles, Demand, Sy etc. make and play. Why bring noise over here when it could stay happily and noisily in Holland!

When it comes to newstyle, its good to use as a breakdown in tunes but not full newstyle tunes!! The stuff does my nut in! At one point it sounded ok but now its repeatative and annoying. Sorry Scott, sorry Brisk, here's my marks out of 10 for your new tunes:

Eye Opener (remix) - 6/10 (Could be alot better if it wasnt newstyle)
Mind Punks - 7/10 (Original, but newstyle! Not Good no!)

If they were HARDCORE tunes and not newstyle then I'm sure these tunes would have been fantastic. A wasted opportunity! Sad really.

HKA = HARDCORE KICKS ARSE!! HARDCORE WILL NEVER DIE. 4EVA WE WILL BE #1!
Dj ViRTiGo - HARDCORE 4 THE RAVERS!

Alert moderator
Simon
Advanced Member

Belgium
5,001 posts
Simon has donated money to the site Simon has attended 5 events
Posted - 2002/07/09 :  23:52:27  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Simon's homepage
Each tune is typical of Scott Brown. I like most of his stuff and he's had a good go at remixing a classic like "Eye Opener" which was such a hit with many HHC fans that it was always gonna be hard to produce a remix of it that was either as good as or better than the original. I think that both tunes are o.k but if I had a choice of what to play I would put on both the original HHC versions of each song. What the remixes are though that I like in remixes is that there is enough "change" in the original so it is a proper remix unlike a lot of remix's (especially in HHC) where they are remixed by another artist yet sound so similar to the original it's almost pointless!!!

Sy.

Alert moderator Go to top of page
manic

Australia
299 posts
manic has attended 8 events
Posted - 2002/07/10 :  00:09:55  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit manic's homepage
I just listen to some evolution today and it seems a bit clubby to me.

" Hardcore is a feeling, not a fashion" DJ Scott Brown

I was sent to outer space to find another happy place. Now i'm left here all alone, a million miles away from home.

Midian
Starting Member

Australia
16 posts
Midian has attended 1 event
Posted - 2002/07/10 :  02:37:03  Show profile  Send a private message
It may not be your cup of tea Virtigo but how can it ruin the original? The original will always be there for you to listen to when you want!

What would be the point of remixing it if it sounded the same to the original??

Regardless, Good on him for taking a totally different slant to it ;)

virtigo

United Kingdom
273 posts
Posted - 2002/07/10 :  02:40:18  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit virtigo's homepage
I never said that the remixes are suppose to be like the original. Im just saying that a true hardcore scott brown remix would have been a better remix than the one he has done in newstyle. No it isnt my cup of tea but the whole point of this forum is to put your views forward and that is what I have done. Sorry if you dont agree. Not everone will. All im saying is that Im hardcore not gabber!

Heist
Advanced Member

Australia
706 posts
Posted - 2002/07/10 :  04:30:07  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Heist's homepage
Sorry but you guys suck! Newstyle is the bizness and i love the eyeopener remix! Sometimes you need a break from technicolour happy tunes.

www.mp3.com/djheist

WWW.VOIDDJ.COM

Mixes, Original Tracks & Remixes, Hardcore Event/Music Reviews, Pics and more...

Foxy

United Kingdom
308 posts
Posted - 2002/07/10 :  04:38:51  Show profile  Send a private message
Virtigo-I've gotta agree again (this is becoming a habit I cant shake mate!-maybe its the UK north west thing!) Gabba/newstyle should be encouraged as some people like it, but perhaps treated as seperately as techno is with different DJ's & only occasional cross overs! Heist-maybe the scene's different in Oz but over here Gabba/newstyle isnt too popular.

Hardcore family never dies.

Amber-Jade
Average Member

United Kingdom
211 posts
Posted - 2002/07/10 :  04:41:58  Show profile  Send a private message
I must agree with Vertigo. The new stuff just sounds all too the same...

.·´¯`°*º¤ ^Å^ ¤º*°´¯`·.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Just close your eyes, and dream with me, you'll hear the sound of muzik

Heist
Advanced Member

Australia
706 posts
Posted - 2002/07/10 :  06:41:17  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Heist's homepage
Well i do tend to like it fckin hard. Over here newstyle is bigger than happy but thats not saying much as our scene is so small. All our hard house people get into happy and freeform too so thats ok. My happy sets usually have some ruffneck and general bangin stuff in them.

www.mp3.com/djheist

WWW.VOIDDJ.COM

Mixes, Original Tracks & Remixes, Hardcore Event/Music Reviews, Pics and more...

milo
Advanced Member

Canada
3,391 posts

347 hardcore releases
milo is verified hardcore artist milo has attended 89 events
Posted - 2002/07/10 :  07:46:23  Show profile View artist profile  Send a private message  Visit milo's homepage
I actually really like the enw stuff comin' out, deffinately would drop it in my set, while i'm sure it would certianly send some candy kids running in tears, it would probably capture the same amount.

"Everybody... rock, rock on.. "

pacman
Advanced Member

Australia
1,132 posts

190 hardcore releases
pacman has attended 8 events
Posted - 2002/07/10 :  08:04:17  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit pacman's homepage
what did you expect from scott brown??? he rocks gabber and always has.

quote:
If they were HARDCORE tunes and not newstyle

what the hell are you talking about??? newstyle is hardcore. it's 100 times more hardcore than the shit hixxy's doing at the moment. force & styles even border on not even being called hardcore? seriously... what's hardcore about force & styles???

scott brown has always been hardcore (meaning gabber), and brisk really digs it too. if they wanna produce some newstyle - good!! it's good to see producers doing what they want! that's what makes our scene so good - the fact that producers have the creative freedom to make the tunes they want to make, while still pleasing the crowds.

all scott brown's hardcore is newstyle stuff - you can't expect him to change just because it isn't popular over there anymore! that would be what we call SELLING OUT. and besides it's taking off everywhere else!

drugs is not the answer... drugs? is the question... yes is the answer

virtigo

United Kingdom
273 posts
Posted - 2002/07/10 :  08:19:16  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit virtigo's homepage
Pacman, there are only 2 countries that newstyle seems to be really hitting off. 1) Australia & 2) Holland. Here it just isnt hardcore. Here, its classed as hard-techno. Or as MC Storm calls it, "A techno Blast"!

I'll also have you know that the stuff Hixxy, Styles, Breeze, Kaos, UFO, Sharkey, Brisk and Scott Brown are making and playing over here is the best HARDCORE since early 99. Scott Brown is HARDCORE, not just gabber. Fair enuf, he likes it, he makes it and then he plays it. Thats up to him. All Im saying is that Its not that good over here. If it was then our Hardcore wouldnt be getting played any more. Alot of it is noise in my opinion but thats ONLY my opinion. Our hardcore is by far the best. Dutch Hardcore (newstyle Gabber) is just something new and that is why some people like it.

Dragalian

United States
306 posts

136 hardcore releases
Posted - 2002/07/10 :  08:26:57  Show profile  Send a private message
I like nustyle, but most of the time as a breakdown, like in Scuzzlebutt by In Effect or Feel it in the Air by Hixxy (hehe, this one's awesome, very Hixxy style-nustyle.)
Nustyle tunes do tend to get old.
I listen to all three (yes folks there's three, the third is Do Not Attempt. Look on the main page of the next gen website) and the only one I liked was Do Not Attempt.

http://www.amoryproductions.com

virus
Advanced Member

Canada
4,346 posts

716 hardcore releases
virus has attended 41 events
Posted - 2002/07/10 :  08:32:04  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit virus's homepage
quote:
I actually really like the enw stuff comin' out, deffinately would drop it in my set

yea, but yer american.. american happy dj's always do that.

pacman
Advanced Member

Australia
1,132 posts

190 hardcore releases
pacman has attended 8 events
Posted - 2002/07/10 :  08:38:12  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit pacman's homepage
interesting. well scott brown & brisk seem to think that newstyle's where it's at when it comes to hardcore. i was disputing your claims about force & styles, i personally don't think they're hard at all.... as for sharkey (he hasn't produced in a while has he?), scott brown, kaos and sy then indeed i agree they have been making the best hardcore. the others you mentioned aren't really my style but again they are all great top-class hardcore producers.

quote:
If it was then our Hardcore wouldnt be getting played any more

so what is this "our hardcore"??? i'm not familiar with what you're defining as current british hardcore? are you talking about the producers you mentioned? because that's no alternative for gabber:: it's completely different.

quote:
Dutch Hardcore (newstyle Gabber) is just something new and that is why some people like it.

hmmm.... so it has less credibility because it's a new style????? and it's more that just SOME people that like it. so even if it's taking off in only two countries (or so you say) that's still thousands of people who like and support it. it's a flourishing scene with many successful labels and artists. if you think it's "noise" go listen to some US hardcore - now that's noise.

not to mention that holland have always been strong in the hardcore scene it's not just their newstyle movement! the whole happy-gabber thing was all dutch! paul elstak, pengo, rotterdam.

quote:
Its not that good over here. If it was then our Hardcore wouldnt be getting played any more.

in YOUR opinion??? of course it would still get played! people like variety. i understand that some (or most or whatever) people over there do not like it - that does not make it any less credible of a style, and i don't think you can say that two of the UK's leading hardcore producers EVER have ruined two good tunes!?? they've just provided a different take on it. it's not like they're erasing all copies of the originals, they're simply providing the tunes for a wider audience.

drugs is not the answer... drugs? is the question... yes is the answer

Oli G
Advanced Member

United States
1,817 posts
Oli G is verified hardcore artist Oli G has donated money to the site Oli G has attended 41 events
Posted - 2002/07/10 :  10:31:48  Show profile View artist profile  Send a private message  Visit Oli G's homepage
both of em are ****ing superb
if u dont like em u just cant take it 'ard enuff :)

Garage Is where You Keep Your ****in Car
House Is where You Live
Hardcore Is HOW You Live

\o/ <o/ \o> <o> /o\ _o/ \o_

http://www.myspace.com/camelrecords

New PostPost Reply
Topic is 3 pages long: 1  2  3
 Printer friendly
  Verified artist
   Donating member How to donate

It took 2.23 ninja's to process this page!

HappyHardcore.com

1999 - 2024 HappyHardcore.com
audio: PRS for music. Build: 3.1.73.1

Go to top of page