Total online 1820
 Radio listeners 186+
Email Us!
Username: Password:

Lost password
 Remember my login 
 All forums
 Music discussion - hardcore
 ... ::: WILL HAPPY HARDCORE EVER RETURN? ::: ...
 Printer friendly
Page: 
of 3

All users can post new topics in this forum. All users can reply to topics in this forum

Author Thread  
Dynamitri

United Kingdom
29 posts
Posted - 2009/02/22 :  16:47:55  Show profile Send a private message  Visit Dynamitri's homepage
Hello guys,

Many of you probably don't know me yet. I'm Dynamitri, living and working in London atm, but born and raised in Central Europe. Anyway - I've been thinking recently - as I bet you all perfectly know, happy hardcore was huge, at least in Central Europe in the mid '90-s - you had Dune, you had Scooter who back then were still proper rave and happy hardcore, you had Marusha, you had Mark 'Oh, Tokyo Ghetto Pussy, and virtually an unlimited amount of more or less faceless acts that everyone was going crazy to. Now - my question is: will happy hardcore ever return, as such a power it has been over a decade ago?

Every music genre seems to have its time. Tastes change - e.g. Sensation White has turned basically total house and electro from trance a few years ago. But - and I know it from my own experience as working as a DJ/producer and a music journalist - every genre comes back every now and then, albeit with an updated sound. So - what do you think, can we expect a huge comeback of happy hardcore when people get tired with electro and housey beats, or rather not? :)

Alert moderator
acidfluxxbass
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
5,000 posts
Posted - 2009/02/22 :  16:53:58  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit acidfluxxbass's homepage
Happy hardcore or oldskool hardcore wont ever die. there will always be the minority making it. Luna-c for one.

However it will never return as a major genre. things have simply moved on from that. we can do more with the resourses and tools we have. that 'more' is the hardcore we hear today.

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/archefluxxuk

Alert moderator Go to top of page
Dynamitri

United Kingdom
29 posts
Posted - 2009/02/22 :  17:01:13  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Dynamitri's homepage
Nah, but what I mean is generally will hardcore music ever return. I can see that hardcore dance, even the commercial one like Scooter or Cascada is not that popular now as it was before and the major trend has shifted towards more housey/electro music (think Alex Gaudino, Fedde Le Grand, Bob Sinclar etc.) - but e.g. Eurodance has had its downfall in the late '90s, but yet it has re-emerged a couple of years later, mixed with Euro-Trance, harder beats, hoovers etc., and managed to go quite large for some time. Now it seems it's on the downturn again. Same with hardcore, it's gone quite a bit off-mainstream, if you know what I mean, but it's still alive, so maybe it will catch up again?

Dynamitri

United Kingdom
29 posts
Posted - 2009/02/22 :  17:04:28  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Dynamitri's homepage
well at least that's how I see that hardcore dance isn't that big as it used to be, it is the case where I'm from, people just, everyone just goes for house and electro, I've been living in the UK for 2 years now, and I've seen Scooter knocking Madonna off #1 Best Selling Albums last summer, so maybe it's just, imports catching up here, in the UK, after Continental People got bored with it already?

Jax
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
2,676 posts
Jax has donated money to the site Jax has attended 6 events
Posted - 2009/02/22 :  17:16:54  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Jax's homepage
yes, on the 33rd of march 2009

Dynamitri

United Kingdom
29 posts
Posted - 2009/02/22 :  17:30:15  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Dynamitri's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Jax:
yes, on the 33rd of march 2009

ROTFLCOPTER LOLLERSKATES

Edited by - Dynamitri on 2009/02/22 17:30:35
Vitalism
Advanced Member

Canada
1,707 posts
Posted - 2009/02/22 :  17:35:18  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Vitalism's homepage
i'm not from the UK, but i think it'd be awesome to see happy hardcore make a return like it was in its "glory days" if you can call them that.

from old things i've read up on, it seems HHC used to have a huge draw. it's still big, but to a lesser extent now. i'm talking about the big dreamscape events, or the like.

i think everything goes on cycles, and eventually it will be big again. it just wont ever be NEW again like it was then, and i don't think cities or countries will treat it as an epidemic when it does happen, but it will still make a comeback.

i do wish i was around for when this stuff was taking off though.

Ken Masters
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
3,447 posts
Posted - 2009/02/22 :  17:53:57  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Ken Masters's homepage
If you think about it, what is the Dance music of the youngsters in the UK these days?

IMO its hardcore. Hardcore is back, mabey not as big as it once was but its well on the way. The youngsters in the late 90's early 2000 (myself included) were all into Trance, Funky House ect but now if you think about it, its all hardcore, hardcore, hardcore with DnB in 2nd.

I'm using the youngsters as an example because they are the future & if this generation is into hardcore then it will show no signs of slowing anytime soon.

One last thing. What Dance music Genre has ever revived itself from complete death. Which is what hardcore has done. I can't think of any other genre that has done this before or ever will?

mabey someone can inform me & not House as that will never die!

Edited by - Ken Masters on 2009/02/22 17:56:14
acidfluxxbass
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
5,000 posts
Posted - 2009/02/22 :  18:03:00  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit acidfluxxbass's homepage
who heading the field? scooter, cascada, styles and basshunter. hardcore couldnt be given a worse image with those clowns hiting the charts.

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/archefluxxuk

Jay-Owen
Advanced Member

Belgium
1,436 posts
Jay-Owen has attended 7 events
Posted - 2009/02/22 :  18:04:28  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Jay-Owen's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Dynamitri:
Every music genre seems to have its time.

I hate to quote my brother as he also reads this forum, but I don't believe that to be true in hardcore's case. Hardcore is and always has been a mixture of several different genres. We have influences of techno, d'n'b, house, trance and many more...
Hardcore steals it's basic ideas from its entourage of dance music, and thusly, because it is ALWAYS evolving, will not die.

latininxtc
Advanced Member

United States
7,307 posts
latininxtc has attended 5 events
Posted - 2009/02/22 :  19:06:55  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit latininxtc's homepage
I agree with Jay-Owen. plus i'm sure there'll b a temporary revival of the happy sounds. happens to mainstream music. someone's gonna start comin out w/ some badass tracks that have the happy hardcore influence, then other producers will start to follow, then ppl will get bored of it

Dynamitri

United Kingdom
29 posts
Posted - 2009/02/22 :  19:08:19  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Dynamitri's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by acidfluxxbass:
who heading the field? scooter, cascada, styles and basshunter. hardcore couldnt be given a worse image with those clowns hiting the charts.

I really really don't see anything bad about them. Don't get me wrong, I am definitely not saying it's good music, it's not piece of art, it's just cheesy but fun music to dance to. I can see the point in not liking it, but you need to look at it from certain perspective. It's shallow, it's not much inventive, but it's fun. At least that's how I feel - and I can rave it up to both Scooter and Cascada, who are big where I'm from, and I can rave it up to Hixxy, Darren Styles and Mike Breeze, who - from what I could see - are pretty big names in the UK.

It's just a matter of the right approach and attitude to the genre of music, obviously when compared to, I don't know, d'n'b behemoths like Goldie, Scooter or Cascada might seem dull as ditchwater, but once you start treating it as just good cheese to have fun to, it might actually be tolerable at the very least...

Anyway - if "Hardcore is the music of the current youths", why is that I have so much trouble with getting some information on good gigs in London, here? ;]

latininxtc
Advanced Member

United States
7,307 posts
latininxtc has attended 5 events
Posted - 2009/02/22 :  21:13:49  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit latininxtc's homepage
quote:
and I can rave it up to Hixxy, Darren Styles and Mike Breeze, who - from what I could see - are pretty big names in the UK.

there's more to the scene than what is popular. how about getting to know the others as well?

Brisk, Ham, Kevin Energy, Darwin, Al Storm, JAKAZiD, etc.

plus you should check out Makina, as many of the tracks i've recently heard thnx to the posts from members here remind me a lot of the oldier happier sound

Future_Shock
Advanced Member

Australia
2,483 posts
Future_Shock has attended 5 events
Posted - 2009/02/22 :  21:58:53  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Future_Shock's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by acidfluxxbass:

Why would the hardcore image be affected by that at all? They're completely different genres.

You may as well say Hardcore takes a knock every time linkin park is in the charts.

What a load of rubbish.

quote:
I really really don't see anything bad about them. Don't get me wrong, I am definitely not saying it's good music, it's not piece of art, it's just cheesy but fun music to dance to.

Um... That's exactly what hardcore is, also.

quote:
I can see the point in not liking it, but you need to look at it from certain perspective. It's shallow, it's not much inventive, but it's fun.

I actually find a lot of Hands-up is HEAPS more inventive (in general) than hardcore. There were more Hands-up tracks than Hardcore tracks i bought this year because there wasn't many hardcore tracks that jumped out at me... There were PLENTY of Hands-up tracks that jumped out at me.

If you don't think Hands-up is inventive maybe you're listening to the wrong artists.

3 best hands-up tracks for 2008 for me were:

1. Fragma - Memory (Rob Mayth Remix)
2. De-Grees - Just Dance (Ti-Mo vs. Stefan Richly Remix)
3. Topmodelz - When You're Looking Like That (Rob Mayth Remix)

I, personally don't think the old skool sound is ever going to come back. It's just my belief, i don't think it would have a big enough following or audience to maintain itself as a genre - i think if it *really* came back, it wouldn't last very long anyway. Tastes have changed.

Dynamitri

United Kingdom
29 posts
Posted - 2009/02/22 :  22:45:30  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Dynamitri's homepage
Well, I was referring to the hardcore dance becoming mainstream again, not to the 'oldschool' sound. Like, dance music with detuned synths, banging kicks, and stuff - I think right now it's more, like, time when house is popular - at least that's what I can see on the Continent, e.g. by how one of the biggest and best hard-trance events has changed, moving from trance DJs to house DJs exclusively now.

As far as handz-up is concerned - is it big here? I haven't been here for a long time yet (well, since coming to the UK I spent most of my life in a shithole where my Uni was, so no proper raves for me and I was kinda out of touch with the whole scene), so it might be I just haven't gone where I should have. If it is - it's splendid. And don't get me wrong, but being a music student I can't say it is really innovative. A lot of tracks follow the same pattern and the synths are more or less the samey. It might be the case with remixes that put some innovation into this, but I am pretty sure that if you were to play a track by Cascada, a track by Novaspace and a track by Groove Coverage to a person that's not deeply into minute details of dance music, he or she would hardly tell the difference between the projects. But I don't care, I don't expect innovation from it, I expect silly and fun night - that's it, and that's why I kinda don't understand ppl who are, like, "Meh... Scooter and Cascada is shite" - nobody says it's anything else, accept it for what it is ;)

Oh, and I know Jakazid (sorry, probably have freaked up the capitalization, lol - nvm) - heard his Cillit Bang mix a long time ago and have his mix of Guru Josh Project on my iPod, minted :)

PS

I'm still looking for places where I might go for a happy hardcore/handz-up night regularly - I'm in London, so any suggestions would be more than welcome (b^_^)b

Edited by - Dynamitri on 2009/02/22 22:47:10
95_was_the_time
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,285 posts
Posted - 2009/02/22 :  23:32:35  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit 95_was_the_time's homepage
it won't ever return because the scene is changed* so much that it's not repairable. it's now run by 4 old men (hixxy, styles, breeze, and dougal) and 13 year old who look up to mc storm (another old man) as their iconic hero.

hardcore used to be about the motif 'AVIN IT' but now it's about love songs taking its self too seriously. using 64bit samples and super pollished production. hadly hardcore is it.

oh and it's all about the $$$ now anyway.

*I say changed, i mean damaged.

New PostPost Reply
Topic is 3 pages long: 1  2  3
 Printer friendly
  Verified artist
   Donating member How to donate

It took 4.88 ninja's to process this page!

HappyHardcore.com

1999 - 2024 HappyHardcore.com
audio: PRS for music. Build: 3.1.73.1

Go to top of page