Page: 
of 14

Author Thread  
latininxtc
Advanced Member

United States
7,307 posts
latininxtc has attended 5 events
Posted - 2014/04/24 :  22:16:00  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit latininxtc's homepage  Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by Elliott:

Edit: I'm aware of the stigma about criticising anything put out by HU on here but no amount of underground credibility or favour should stop us from calling out a poor project. Personally, I feel like Dougal & Gammer shafted HU with the amount of effort they put in.

Meh say what you want CDJay appreciates criticism whether it's good or bad. He even gives feedback back to whatever we post usually :)

I've given nothing but good overall praise for all the HU projects and it's not because it's HU, it's because their projects are usually that good, but admittedly there's a reason why I have never given a review of HU Presents 2013. And it's probably better that I don't

Alert moderator Go to top of page
The drunken scotsman
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,486 posts
Posted - 2014/04/24 :  22:20:46  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit The drunken scotsman's homepage  Reply with quote
Main reason I got this album was for the unmixed tunes on the first 3 cd's. The majority I already had on vinyl but not digitally. Still a good album and well worth the money. The mix cd is decent enough.

djDMS
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
10,304 posts

572 hardcore releases
djDMS has donated money to the site djDMS has attended 43 events
Posted - 2014/04/24 :  23:06:03  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit djDMS's homepage  Reply with quote
I haven't bought it simply because there isn't enough there that i don't already have. If i find myself with a bit of extra cash I'll buy it because it's a CD and it looks nice.

CDJay
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
3,049 posts
Posted - 2014/04/24 :  23:22:31  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit CDJay's homepage  Reply with quote
There's no stigma for criticising HU projects on here, did everyone miss the Vladel review of the Brisk album?

I think people are being somewhat harsh re: the mix on this CD, it is a timing reverse structured showcase and it's eminently listenable. It's not a "traditional" mix, granted, and this project is what it was always intended to be; a high value platter showcasing a range of work by a prolific and enduring artist pairing. It's phenomenal value, however it's span. It's also selling very well, so it's got a motivated and sated market which is more than most things that happen in the scene at this point can claim.

"Proper" artist album(s) may well follow, for those who feel like following breadcrumbs.

I'm still somewhat flabbergasted that vast swathes of the scene have managed to pretend that a Brisk *and* Dougal & Gammer album didn't come out on the same day which would seem worth celebrating. Yet at this point it's futile to overthink it. Either people start working as a scene, or they will:

Option A - Fall behind into obsolescence, due to lack of engagement with relevant and active parties and a willingness to work as part of a greater good
Option B - Be part of a scene that has died because any reason to follow it wasn't apparent to those who might have

CDJay

Edited by - CDJay on 2014/04/24 23:23:59
arpz
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,267 posts
arpz has attended 22 events
Posted - 2014/04/25 :  05:55:11  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit arpz's homepage  Reply with quote
The collection in itself is great, admittedly I did own a majority of the tunes already but never before in perfect quality and it's great to have this collection and all in one place. (And at the price point too!)

I can't agree with CDJays opinion about the responses to the mix, though. It's a showcase of the tunes but I don't think it provides anything more than the sum of it's parts, which is essentially covered by the first three discs. The mix should be exciting, especially coming from this pair but there's nothing in it to suggest that it was even mixed by Dougal himself, let alone by Gammer. I was really quite shocked to hear such an uninventive effort on the mix.

The level of care and attention lavished on the Brisk album is in contrast to this, and I assume the comments about lack of engagement etc referred to that album which is in my opinion head and shoulders above this.

Sorry if that came across as overly negative, I'll reiterate that I am still very happy with the collection and still see it as a must-purchase for any half serious fan of hardcore.

Also, Happy Birthday CDJay! :)

trippnface
Advanced Member

United States
1,654 posts
trippnface has attended 21 events
Posted - 2014/04/25 :  18:18:21  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit trippnface's homepage  Reply with quote
I purchased both and am definitely happy. actually my first non digital release purchase of anything in yearsssss. after my buddyy bought HU6 I had to give back to the team :p. I think some people wanted more fresh d & g tunes, that are bangers. not too big on burn or float away, or a lot of the new stuff. just being the legends they are, they set a high precedent, and we expect a lot haha. for instance their mix on true hardcore 2 is so good, it becomes hard to top that. seriously. I needed a lot of those tunes, def worth it for me

really pleased with brisks as well, him and Darwin do some ace stuff, every cd was boss.
already pre ordered the new f & d bundle, and I cant wait to see what else HU has up their sleeves^.^ plus the eloquently typed excerpt from CDJay was awesome. def happy birthday man

Elliott
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,137 posts
Posted - 2014/04/26 :  00:02:20  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Elliott's homepage  Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by arpz:
The mix should be exciting, especially coming from this pair but there's nothing in it to suggest that it was even mixed by Dougal himself, let alone by Gammer. I was really quite shocked to hear such an uninventive effort on the mix.

Amen to that, although I respect that CDJay can't turn around and say anything negative about it regardless of his opinion.

Given the amount of effort Gammer seemingly puts into the mixes he subsequently releases for free (e.g. low budget mix CD, #qwerkout), you would be forgiven for thinking that the mix for a paid album would be just as exciting.

Like I said before, I believe Dougal & Gammer shafted HU. They put shockingly little effort into promoting it and contributed a boring mix. It seems to have been a fuck-and-forget affair for those guys. A business opportunity that would've been stupid to ignore.

Edited by - Elliott on 2014/04/26 00:06:36
Elliott
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,137 posts
Posted - 2014/04/26 :  00:05:31  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Elliott's homepage  Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by latininxtc:
quote:
Originally posted by Elliott:

Edit: I'm aware of the stigma about criticising anything put out by HU on here but no amount of underground credibility or favour should stop us from calling out a poor project. Personally, I feel like Dougal & Gammer shafted HU with the amount of effort they put in.

Meh say what you want CDJay appreciates criticism whether it's good or bad. He even gives feedback back to whatever we post usually :)

I've given nothing but good overall praise for all the HU projects and it's not because it's HU, it's because their projects are usually that good, but admittedly there's a reason why I have never given a review of HU Presents 2013. And it's probably better that I don't

Fair enough mate! :)

What I say isn't really intended to put people off buying the album. For anyone who isn't a rabid fanboy with 95% of the tracks already, it represents great value for money. Sadly I'm a rabid fanboy!

fakka13k
Average Member

United Kingdom
182 posts
Posted - 2014/04/26 :  08:12:31  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit fakka13k's homepage  Reply with quote
How about a dj Sy album then boys??

Elliott
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,137 posts
Posted - 2014/04/26 :  11:08:02  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Elliott's homepage  Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by GrahamC:
Compared to the DJ mix on the Brisk album (which has has set the standard now for me as far as artist album mixes go!) this was absolute cak :(

I quite liked it as well. And I like that he had the balls to do a live mix on there. :)

Edited by - Elliott on 2014/04/26 11:11:35
latininxtc
Advanced Member

United States
7,307 posts
latininxtc has attended 5 events
Posted - 2014/04/26 :  16:06:05  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit latininxtc's homepage  Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by fakka13k:

not gonna happen. doesn't seem like sy has any interest in making new music, and a classics album means he'll have to work with chris unknown on some, if not, all of the album, and that's not gonna happen.

_Jay_
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
6,868 posts
_Jay_ has attended 41 events
Posted - 2014/04/26 :  16:24:00  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit _Jay_'s homepage  Reply with quote
quote:
quote:

not gonna happen. doesn't seem like sy has any interest in making new music, and a classics album means he'll have to work with chris unknown on some, if not, all of the album, and that's not gonna happen.

I spoke to him in person in March after a set and he said he will never be making new Hardcore again.

Quicksilver
Advanced Member

Sweden
2,545 posts
Posted - 2014/04/27 :  13:27:16  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Quicksilver's homepage  Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by _Jay_:
quote:
quote:

I spoke to him in person in March after a set and he said he will never be making new Hardcore again.

Party pooper.

My SOUNDCLOUD

Mickey Init
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
764 posts
Mickey Init has attended 3 events
Posted - 2014/06/15 :  22:51:13  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Mickey Init's homepage  Reply with quote
Just ripping the unmixed CDs into iTunes... God, how good is "Lift Me Above"? That and "Sensory Vision" were amazing tunes at the time.

Mickey Init
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
764 posts
Mickey Init has attended 3 events
Posted - 2014/06/15 :  22:54:38  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Mickey Init's homepage  Reply with quote
P.S. I've only just discovered WAV encoder on iTunes

That's 4 years of my life I'll never get back

New PostPost Reply
Topic is 14 pages long: 1  2  3  4  5 ... 10  11  12  13  14
 Printer friendly
  Verified artist
   Donating member How to donate

It took 1.8 ninja's to process this page!

HappyHardcore.com

1999 - 2024 HappyHardcore.com
audio: PRS for music. Build: 3.1.73.1

Go to top of page