Lost password
 Remember my login 
 All forums
 Music discussion - hardcore
 stuff that really annoys you in tracks?
 Printer friendly
Page: 
of 5

All users can post new topics in this forum. All users can reply to topics in this forum

Author Thread  
oxis

Portugal
128 posts
Posted - 2015/03/02 :  17:56:12  Show profile Send a private message
AKA nitpicking thread

does anyone else feel like there are recurring elements in tracks that you really don't like and that make the whole song unenjoyable?

for me, it's the obnoxious loud noise sweeps used to fill the mix with something while the breakdown doesn't come. it is just lifeless to me, has no soul whatsoever. i would rather have something more interesting mixed in with the sweep, like this thing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klNQ6CNe-rQ&t=23s. it almost sounds like a demonic growl, and i really like it, even though the rest of the track is lame as hell.

even worse than the sweeps is probably the crowd cheering samples used to fill the mix. i am aware that it is useful to make the track sound like it has more air, but it just ruins it to me for some reason, it sounds really pretentious to put people cheering in your own track.

something else that i hate, not really in songs, but in mixes, is when the DJ decides to mix in the second song and it doesn't fit remotely with the previous song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DhZbSrrW7RU

it is obvious that this track is going for the big, loud, euphoric classic hardcore sound. so melody is, atleast to me, something very important in the song. at 2 minutes 33 seconds, the next song is mixed in, and the synth notes don't fit remotely. it just seems like a bad choice of a song to play right after something like Paradise. or maybe if you're considering that someone else will play your stuff in a set, you would try to make it so the beggining of your track doesn't have much harmony, which makes it much less likely that it will interfere with the previous track.

idk if this is extreme nitpicking, but it really bugs me sometimes.. i'm sure that you guys must also have something that necessarily annoys you though

Alert moderator
Elipton
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,268 posts
Elipton has attended 2 events
Posted - 2015/03/02 :  18:36:45  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Elipton's homepage
I can't name 3 artists who make the second half of their tracks different to the first half.

Laziness annoys me in tracks.

Alert moderator Go to top of page
ViolonC
Average Member

Germany
243 posts
ViolonC has attended 2 events
Posted - 2015/03/02 :  18:39:44  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit ViolonC's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by oxis:
for me, it's the obnoxious loud noise sweeps used to fill the mix with something while the breakdown doesn't come.

I know what you mean. The main problem with this sweeps is that if they are in the mixin/out they have to be loud enough to be audible even when two tracks are mixed. And before the drop a lot of the time the sum gets high-passed to make the kick drop in harder and then the limiter makes it super loud.
It's not easy to make a good noise sweep (sound design) and you almost every time have to compromise mixing it in.

quote:
Originally posted by oxis:
something else that i hate, not really in songs, but in mixes, is when the DJ decides to mix in the second song and it doesn't fit remotely with the previous song.

Same here. My take on this is that a lot of DJs are not musicians and therefor lack a feeling for the music (as a DJ just need some feeling for the rhythm to mix two tracks). An other answer would be that the DJ is just lazy or doesn't care because he wants to play the next track at all costs. It sounds kinda strange but having this musically bad transition is kinda the better choice than making a hard cut to the next track (except there is a good spot to do it) as a lot of listeners won't bother either.

The thing that probably bothers me the most is when breakdown and drop have no musical connection or even a clear disconnection.

Impulse_Response
Advanced Member

United States
724 posts
Impulse_Response has attended 1 event
Posted - 2015/03/02 :  21:05:26  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Impulse_Response's homepage
One thing that really annoys me is when a DJ ends a good happy or freeform set with gabber or gabbery sounding tracks (like on Scott Brown's Bonkers mixes). While there are a few gabber tunes that I like, for the most part I don't like gabber and having it at the end of a set kills the energy for me.

I also can't stand good tracks that are ruined with gabbery breakdowns, like "You Better Run" by Frisky & Hujib, or so many others the Next Generation Collection albums.

There are two things that annoy me in mixes as well. I don't like it when DJs try to squeeze 30 tracks into a mix, so you only get about 1:30 of some tracks (which too often are the ones I really like). I like to hear them, and by the time one track really gets going it's already on its way out. The other thing I don't like is when the last track in the mix fades out, even though there are 8-10 minutes left on the CD and they could've let the last track play out. This is a small detail though and not a huge complaint.

Edited by - Impulse_Response on 2015/03/02 21:06:14
Elliott
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,137 posts
Posted - 2015/03/02 :  22:07:05  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Elliott's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Elipton:
I can't name 3 artists who make the second half of their tracks different to the first half.

Laziness annoys me in tracks.

When I first started production, I realised that I'm an incredibly lazy person so I decided to only do single drop tracks because I knew I would just copy-paste the first half.

Ken Masters
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
3,447 posts
Posted - 2015/03/02 :  22:13:32  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Ken Masters's homepage
Notes...........& percussion, can't forget percussion.

Just sound in general really. Give me 5mins of absolute silence any day.

Comrade_

United States
46 posts
Posted - 2015/03/03 :  01:07:22  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Comrade_'s homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Advather:
There are two things that annoy me in mixes as well. I don't like it when DJs try to squeeze 30 tracks into a mix, so you only get about 1:30 of some tracks (which too often are the ones I really like). I like to hear them, and by the time one track really gets going it's already on its way out. The other thing I don't like is when the last track in the mix fades out, even though there are 8-10 minutes left on the CD and they could've let the last track play out. This is a small detail though and not a huge complaint.

I remember one of Dj DMS's dimension of euphoria mixes being a big culprit of this. He mixed 30ish into an hour long mix!

trippnface
Advanced Member

United States
1,654 posts
trippnface has attended 21 events
Posted - 2015/03/03 :  07:53:59  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit trippnface's homepage
quote:
One thing that really annoys me is when a DJ ends a good happy or freeform set with gabber or gabbery sounding tracks (like on Scott Brown's Bonkers mixes). While there are a few gabber tunes that I like, for the most part I don't like gabber and having it at the end of a set kills the energy for me.

I also can't stand good tracks that are ruined with gabbery breakdowns, like "You Better Run" by Frisky & Hujib, or so many others the Next Generation Collection albums.

agreed. i would seriously always prefer finishing on some crazy euphoric vocal banger or the like
some people love to go apeshit and lose it to gabber at the very end though i guess :p

wong
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
2,991 posts
Posted - 2015/03/03 :  09:47:44  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit wong's homepage
quote:
One thing that really annoys me is when a DJ ends a good happy or freeform set with gabber or gabbery sounding tracks (like on Scott Brown's Bonkers mixes).

im opposite, i love to hear a nice happy mix ending on a hard note. Infact, im gonna do a mix tonight and do exactly this :)

Vladel
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,514 posts
Posted - 2015/03/03 :  11:27:27  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Vladel's homepage
I do like a hard finish to a happy mix sometimes but it's not essential. Sometimes it's nice to have a chilled out end

Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,511 posts
Posted - 2015/03/03 :  12:28:16  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Guest's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by trippnface:
quote:

agreed. i would seriously always prefer finishing on some crazy euphoric vocal banger or the like
some people love to go apeshit and lose it to gabber at the very end though i guess :p

if you follow all the big events and charts and mix cd`s, gabber is not hard, it just has sub bass

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPznTCEWo24

Edited by - Guest on 2015/03/03 12:29:20
Captain Triceps
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
2,184 posts
Posted - 2015/03/03 :  12:57:50  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Captain Triceps's homepage
When tracks add an extra bar, which is just a simple filler or snare roll or something, at a point you might already be mixing out from. Hardly ruins the whole track but a pain in the arse from a DJ point of view.

https://soundcloud.com/paulbradley1982

danielseven

Italy
350 posts
danielseven has attended 4 events
Posted - 2015/03/03 :  14:21:32  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit danielseven's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Captain Triceps:
When tracks add an extra bar, which is just a simple filler or snare roll or something, at a point you might already be mixing out from. Hardly ruins the whole track but a pain in the arse from a DJ point of view.

This is where it actually belongs who's a good DJ: they have a memory of the music they play, and know all the cue points!

I remember how much a nightmare was mixing italodisco or eurodance or even 2000's italodance... Because when you thought the track was finishing with their empty beats... The track kicks on again! haha

Edited by - danielseven on 2015/03/03 14:22:02
Ken Masters
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
3,447 posts
Posted - 2015/03/03 :  14:47:20  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Ken Masters's homepage
Overuse of sidechain compression. Dont get me wrong, it definitely has its place & I like the effect. However white noise breakdowns that drag on for around 10secs with the side chain effect is a bit dull after a while.

Triquatra

United Kingdom
12,635 posts
Triquatra is a site donation subscriber Triquatra has attended 26 events
Posted - 2015/03/03 :  15:55:38  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Triquatra's homepage
heavy use of side chaining (****s with my ears), white noise, and over mastering/compression (whatever) to the point of distortion.

Trance is a real victim of the first two there.

The tracks where they seem to have put every effort into getting it to sound squeeky clean but have put the exact opposite amount of effort into actually making an enjoyable piece of music.

Would rather have a fantastical masterpiece that has errors here and there and never got a master, than have a squeeky clean polished turd.

djDMS
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
10,304 posts

572 hardcore releases
djDMS has donated money to the site djDMS has attended 43 events
Posted - 2015/03/03 :  16:30:16  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit djDMS's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Comrade_:
quote:

I remember one of Dj DMS's dimension of euphoria mixes being a big culprit of this. He mixed 30ish into an hour long mix!

I might have got slightly carried away.

New PostPost Reply
Topic is 5 pages long: 1  2  3  4  5
 Printer friendly
  Verified artist
   Donating member How to donate

It took 1.27 ninja's to process this page!

HappyHardcore.com

1999 - 2024 HappyHardcore.com
audio: PRS for music. Build: 3.1.73.1

Go to top of page